GF4 Ti4200 Heat question

RMGreen

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
I'm not sure if this is the exact right place for this but, here it goes anyway.

I recently purchased a GF4 Ti4200. My old graphics card was a GF2 MX400. I also have a Gigabyte motherboard with an Athelon XP 1700+ processor. I have a fan for the CPU of course, but I don't have any other cooling in my system aside from the fan in the power supply.

So here's my question. My system currently runs at 61oC for the CPU and 47oC for the rest of the box. Does anyone know if the upgrade to the GF4 will create enough heat to put my system in danger? I have no interest in overclocking or anything fancy like that.

Thanks for the help.

RMGreen

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
61*C is quite high for CPU. And I suppose it's not working at full loading. Even though the Ti4200 has a fan on it, you should probably get some fans for your system.

RobD

Champion
Neat little trick is to take the side off your case and pull the machine out of the desk (or wherever it resides) and then watch your temp come down, and come down quite considerably. Get some case fans on that bad boy!

Oh, and make sure that you have adequate room for venting at the rear, otherwise you're gonna find that the heat will come back at. You'll be sitting there playing UT2003 and you'll be sweating your gonads off!

RMGreen

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
Thanks for the advice, guys. Unfortunately space is a major concern for me. I'll just have to do what I can with what I have. ;^)

RMGreen