Do you sometimes or often give bonus feats at the end of quests? You
know, 'the favour of the gods' or whatever? Letting a player choose
from a restricted set of feats (e.g. the Exalted feats) seems to me
to be a good reward, perhaps more memorable than +1 to a stat. Or, if
they're all approaching a feat-granting level, simply the option to
choose such a feat? Another example: perhaps the quest is to rescue
an eminent warrior - characters get to choose a fighter feat even if
they're not a fighter. A minimum break of 3 levels seems about right.

What do you think?

Quentin Stephens wrote:
> Do you sometimes or often give bonus feats at the end of quests? You
> know, 'the favour of the gods' or whatever? Letting a player choose
> from a restricted set of feats (e.g. the Exalted feats) seems to me
> to be a good reward, perhaps more memorable than +1 to a stat. Or, if
> they're all approaching a feat-granting level, simply the option to
> choose such a feat? Another example: perhaps the quest is to rescue
> an eminent warrior - characters get to choose a fighter feat even if
> they're not a fighter. A minimum break of 3 levels seems about right.
>
> What do you think?

I've only ever given one bnous feat. It was a minor feat with
relativly little play impact, but a good amount of story impact. (For
those interested, I gave the Mark of Vol to an elf ranger obssessed
with destroying the undead and deathless in an Eberron campaign). I've
never heard of giving out bonus feats at the end of quests, though. It
sounds like it may be a good idea, but it also sounds like it could
prove to make the characters overpowered, because the feat progressions
are in there for a reason.

-Quiggy

It's a nice idea. It could be used as an alternative to standard
treasure or in addition to for a particualrly tough adventure. Exalted
Feats are certainly appropriate, but standard Feats would do.

To make it special, limit it to one bonus feat (in addition to what
characters normally get) to one per campaign. The characters should be
at least 9th level but max 15th because by then, while Feats are still
nice, class abilities are out shining one individual feat.

Idea: The bonus feat can be from a source book not normally used for
the campaign, and then allowing players to choose feats from that
source book under normal feat progression.

Idea: Weapon Specialization could be given to appropriate characters
even if not fighter 4, such as a cleric with War Domain in a great
service to his deity/church.

Idea: The bonus feat might be one for which the character does not meet
its prerequisites but could have met its prerequisites at that level
granted if other decisions were made and/or different ability scores
were achieved.

Gerald Katz

"Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
> Do you sometimes or often give bonus feats at the end of quests? You
> know, 'the favour of the gods' or whatever? Letting a player choose
> from a restricted set of feats (e.g. the Exalted feats) seems to me
> to be a good reward, perhaps more memorable than +1 to a stat. Or, if
> they're all approaching a feat-granting level, simply the option to
> choose such a feat? Another example: perhaps the quest is to rescue
> an eminent warrior - characters get to choose a fighter feat even if
> they're not a fighter. A minimum break of 3 levels seems about right.
>
> What do you think?

I had some traditional "western" D&D players spend some time on the
"oriental" continent in my world. After completing some mission for the
emperor, I let them train to get a bonus feat from Oriental Adventures.

Quiggy wrote:
> Quentin Stephens wrote:
> > Do you sometimes or often give bonus feats at the end of quests?
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I've
> never heard of giving out bonus feats at the end of quests, though. It
> sounds like it may be a good idea, but it also sounds like it could
> prove to make the characters overpowered, because the feat progressions
> are in there for a reason.

You could always treat it as part of a characters material wealth if
you're concerned about character power. You can get items that grant
feats so it's pretty much the same thing.

Characters can gain extra feats by the use of wish spells. Wish can
grant some other permanent abilities as well. Just check out Halaster
from FRCS. While in Undermountain, he has powers close to that of a
demigod.

"Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in

> It's a nice idea. It could be used as an alternative to
> standard treasure or in addition to for a particualrly tough
> adventure. Exalted Feats are certainly appropriate, but
> standard Feats would do.
>
> To make it special, limit it to one bonus feat (in addition to
> what characters normally get) to one per campaign.

I think this is a little stingy.

> The
> characters should be at least 9th level but max 15th because by
> then, while Feats are still nice, class abilities are out
> shining one individual feat.

I think your minimum level is a little high, but that's possibly a
matter of taste. They've got to be heroes though. I do disagree
with your maximum level unless Prestige Classes run rampant.

> Idea: The bonus feat can be from a source book not normally used
> for the campaign, and then allowing players to choose feats from
> that source book under normal feat progression.

Good one.

> Idea: Weapon Specialization could be given to appropriate
> characters even if not fighter 4, such as a cleric with War
> Domain in a great service to his deity/church.

Excellent idea - this is lifted from the Divine Crusader, right?

> Idea: The bonus feat might be one for which the character does
> not meet its prerequisites but could have met its prerequisites
> at that level granted if other decisions were made and/or
> different ability scores were achieved.

That's overly restrictive and over-complex IMO. Simply waiving
pre-requisites - I'm thinking of ability scores rather than feat
chains - seems better to me as many classes give feats this way.

IHateLashknife@hotmail.com wrote in

> Quiggy wrote:
>> Quentin Stephens wrote:
>> > Do you sometimes or often give bonus feats at the end of
>> > quests?
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>>
>> I've
>> never heard of giving out bonus feats at the end of quests,
>> though. It sounds like it may be a good idea, but it also
>> sounds like it could prove to make the characters overpowered,
>> because the feat progressions are in there for a reason.
>
> You could always treat it as part of a characters material
> wealth if you're concerned about character power. You can get
> items that grant feats so it's pretty much the same thing.

Excellent point! I hadn't remembered that.

Quentin Stephens wrote:
> Do you sometimes or often give bonus feats at the end of quests?

Absolutely not. Give them gear that equates to a feat worth of
power, or give them bonus XP, that'll get them their next feat sooner.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.