Microsoft Settles With TomTom in Infringement Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm so happy that the EU does not allow patents on pure software!

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]bravura[/nom]I'm so happy that the EU does not allow patents on pure software![/citation]

As moronic as the vague US patent system is, that aproach by the EU is almost as stupid.

I mean, it's stupid to allow a patent that says "way of organizing songs by artist and name" (US) but its also stupid to reject a patent for, let's say, google's searching algorithm

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something but who do you sue regarding open source software? That's like filing a lawsuit against the Easter Bunny.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Maybe I'm missing something but who do you sue regarding open source software? That's like filing a lawsuit against the Easter Bunny.[/citation]

Not really. I'd say its like writing a program to pirate blu-ray and then selling bootleg copies of movies and copies of your program, but giving the source of the program to your paid customers.

Despite the fact that most distros are free, many enterprise versions are not and neither is their support. Not to mention all of the "appliance OS" products and open sourced based rack-mount hardware appliances that are sold.

Open source does not mean "money not involved". It isn't any different than any other case of infringement for profit (if MS is right, that is). Although I personally hope MS is full of crap on this one.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]Not really. I'd say its like writing a program to pirate blu-ray and then selling bootleg copies of movies and copies of your program, but giving the source of the program to your paid customers.Despite the fact that most distros are free, many enterprise versions are not and neither is their support. Not to mention all of the "appliance OS" products and open sourced based rack-mount hardware appliances that are sold.Open source does not mean "money not involved". It isn't any different than any other case of infringement for profit (if MS is right, that is). Although I personally hope MS is full of crap on this one.[/citation]

True, and many things are based on Open Source including Mac OS X, and they make a lot of money.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
suggests that Microsoft may actually have had a case. Not good news for the open source community.

I would agree that they had a case here...but FAT belongs to them! I start to wonder whether their little patent rant was mostly a publicity stunt. Otherwise, why did they take this to litigation (along with others in a similar boat) and ignore all the others who infringe on different things?

It is possible that this is one of the few cases where their claimed infringement would stand up in court. If they were to file on any of the "weaker" ones and lose, then no one will be worried about them anymore.

So they may only have a case in areas where it is their stuff brought to linux (ie FAT32, NTFS, etc), but maybe they aren't so strong when it comes to similar linux tech that was reverse engineered or developed in parallel (ie samba). Not to mention, it was my understanding that NT had a lot of Unix code in it, which is why it started to suck less than 95/98.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]Not to mention, it was my understanding that NT had a lot of Unix code in it, which is why it started to suck less than 95/98.[/citation]

wrong and wrong, nt did not have any unix code and nt was more stable because was not built on top of dos. it was a native 32-bit os where the kernel did not rely on 16-bit msdos drivers. and yes it was fast and stable. dont' they teach anything in skools these days ;-)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Microsoft has the most practiced lawyers in the tech industry.[/citation]
No question!
We read at least one article a week regarding M$ and the courts.

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
no surprise there that tomtom folded

i would like to find out some of those patents ms r using linux for. i'm guessing it would b some complex software since u can't (or won't bother) put a patent on something so basic that the logic is easily matched.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Microsoft has the most practiced lawyers in the tech industry.[/citation]
I believe sun's lawyers are even more experienced. They've done almost nothing except work (the lawyers) for the last many years ...

Status
Not open for further replies.