Basic questions about reaction cards, tapping and wakes

Ok, this is a "just to make sure" post.

Some reaction cards have the text template "tap this X to...". This clearly
requires a tap for the effect to happen, so playing Wake + this card would
not work. Example: Wake + superior Babble does not work.

On the other hand, lots of reaction cards have text like "Tap this reacting
X." or "tap this X and...". In this case, the tap is just a side effect and
the card can be combined with Wake. Example: Wake + Car Bomb works.

So only reaction cards that have text templates like "tap this X to..." or
"tap the reacting X to..." require the tap (and don't work with Wake)?

//Petri
4 answers Last reply
More about basic questions reaction cards tapping wakes

    In article <ijkSd.1740$vh1.238@reader1.news.jippii.net>, Petri Wessman wrote:
    > Ok, this is a "just to make sure" post.
    >
    > Some reaction cards have the text template "tap this X to...". This clearly
    > requires a tap for the effect to happen, so playing Wake + this card would
    > not work. Example: Wake + superior Babble does not work.

    How come?

    Wake with Evening's Freshness
    Do not replace until your next untap phase.
    Only usable by a tapped vampire. This reacting vampire can use reaction
    cards and attempt to block *as though untapped*
    until the current action is concluded.

    are you saying that an untapped vampire may not be tapped?

    > On the other hand, lots of reaction cards have text like "Tap this reacting
    > X." or "tap this X and...". In this case, the tap is just a side effect and
    > the card can be combined with Wake. Example: Wake + Car Bomb works.

    Again, does it matter, as the minion plays the card as though untapped.

    > So only reaction cards that have text templates like "tap this X to..." or
    > "tap the reacting X to..." require the tap (and don't work with Wake)?
    >
    > //Petri

    Realized this just after the tournament ;-)

    --
    Ville Takanen

    "Petri Wessman" <nospam@orava.org> wrote in message
    > Ok, this is a "just to make sure" post.
    >
    > Some reaction cards have the text template "tap this X to...". This
    clearly
    > requires a tap for the effect to happen, so playing Wake + this card
    would
    > not work. Example: Wake + superior Babble does not work.
    >
    > On the other hand, lots of reaction cards have text like "Tap this
    reacting
    > X." or "tap this X and...". In this case, the tap is just a side effect
    and
    > the card can be combined with Wake. Example: Wake + Car Bomb works.
    >
    > So only reaction cards that have text templates like "tap this X to..."
    or
    > "tap the reacting X to..." require the tap (and don't work with Wake)?

    Correct.

    --
    LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

    "Vili" <my.name@helsinki.fi.invalid> wrote in message
    > In article <ijkSd.1740$vh1.238@reader1.news.jippii.net>, Petri Wessman
    wrote:
    > > Ok, this is a "just to make sure" post.
    > >
    > > Some reaction cards have the text template "tap this X to...". This
    clearly
    > > requires a tap for the effect to happen, so playing Wake + this card
    would
    > > not work. Example: Wake + superior Babble does not work.
    > >
    > How come?
    >
    > Wake with Evening's Freshness
    > Do not replace until your next untap phase.
    > Only usable by a tapped vampire. This reacting vampire can use reaction
    > cards and attempt to block *as though untapped*
    > until the current action is concluded.
    >
    > are you saying that an untapped vampire may not be tapped?

    No. He's saying that a tapped vampire cannot "tap to" do something.
    He is correct in that regard.

    --

    In article <cvcnvc$5pd$1@domitilla.aioe.org>, LSJ wrote:
    > No. He's saying that a tapped vampire cannot "tap to" do something.
    > He is correct in that regard.

    Um... Ok. It just sounded wierd. 'cos you know, the "as though untapped"
    thing. I kind of figured that an untapped minion could tap to do
    something.

    I could have even argued that a minion may "tap to" to do something
    but the babble text was: "tap this minion to" and
    not "this minion taps to".

    Thanks for the clarification.

    > --
    > LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
    > V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
    > Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

    --
    Ville Takanen

Basic Video Games