Sign in with
Your question

Help - corrupt Compact Flash card!

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 3, 2005 12:40:24 PM

Dear all;

I have a problem, and I hope it's not a BIG one.
During the past weekend, I have taken more than 200 photos
on a 512Mb Compact Flash card.
While taking the last picture, the camera suddenly displayed "Card error" and then shut down.
Since then, I can no longer access the card!
Not even on my computer, and not even while using a seperate card reader.

Some observations:
- The card worked perfectly during the entire weekend,
until I shot that last photo where the error was displayed.
- I have an old camera. Is it possible that these are not compatible with big CF cards of 512Mb and more?
- BEFORE I started using the card this weekend, I had already noticed that, when reading it with a card reader,
Windows Explorer shows not one, but TWO removable media,
of which one is empty.
- I had reformatted the card on my computer before using it this weekend. I have heard that this is not good, and that it's always better to reformat CF cards on your camera instead. Maybe this is a possible cause?
- I have tried Pantera Soft's Flash File Recovery.
The problem is that this tool only seems to see the empty partition on the flash card, not the one on which the photos are stored.
- I THINK that maybe the FAT32 file system is corrupt.

Conclusion: Does anyone have experience with recovering data from corrupt CF cards?
Apart from the tool I used, have you had any good experience with another tool for restoring data from a corrupt CF card?

Many thanks in advance!
I hope I haven't lost more than 200 photos.
Carl
May 10, 2005 11:11:25 PM

I've used Norton before to recover pictures on CF cards.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX, Tualeron 1.2 @1.6 i815, Celeron 2.6 330J @4.0 i915*
July 8, 2009 8:10:08 AM

If the memory card is not recognized in the PC or it is impossible to access the data on it, the controller on the card is damaged. There is only one way to get the data back, unsolder memory chips and directly access their raw data with a programable chip reader. Software can't help, that is a physical damage! Have a look at: CF xD SD memory card/stick photo recovery
Related resources
July 30, 2011 2:35:23 PM

armadillo1 said:
If the memory card is not recognized in the PC or it is impossible to access the data on it, the controller on the card is damaged. There is only one way to get the data back, unsolder memory chips and directly access their raw data with a programable chip reader. Software can't help, that is a physical damage! Have a look at: CF xD SD memory card/stick photo recovery

I have some amazing photos of cassowaries on my compact flash card that cannot be accessed. I can see them through the playback on the camera but they register as corrupt and 0 bytes when trying to access them through the computer. Please don't let these photos be lost !! How do you unsolder the memory chip?
September 9, 2011 1:30:37 AM

I found a good recovery tool for Mac CF Card Recovery, Restore deleted, lost, formatted, or corrupted photos, pictures, video, and other files from various memory cards. It makes me back a mistakenly deleted the photos.
http://www.cfcardrecovery.com
October 13, 2011 11:43:11 AM

Actually, due to corruption of memory card you are suffering from this problem. Well.........don't worry because these days corruption of memory card is common issue which can be resolved easily and for this, just format your memory card.

If after formatting the memory card of your digital camera still you encounter the same problem then you have an alternate option of Foto Recovery software which by using advanced techniques quickly resolve the corruption issue of memory card.

Just download this software for a trial only. I am sure, it will definitely resolve your problem. :wahoo: 
November 30, 2011 10:14:48 AM

if you have lost your memorable photos from your memory cards and want to recover them. at this situation you need an advanced photo recovery Mac software that helps you recover lost photos from the different types of memory cards or another storage media. This also recover recover your photos "however the file system of storage media has been corrupted". Use this advanced application if you want to get back your lost photos.
February 3, 2012 5:55:47 AM

Mind that there is usually a white small tab on the side of a memory card reader, make sure it's on the right ("unlocked") position. Also remember to check if your type of memory card is supported by your camera or card reader, as you know different camera providers have different restrictions on certain memory cards.

If all above checks are with no problem, then I am afraid the only reason for that is your card is "really" corrupted or crashed. Pick up a cf card data recovery program to retrieve photos as soon as possible.

Note: never let the card meet any physical damage before you recover the inaccessible photos.
November 5, 2012 4:06:13 AM

TNT2 said:
Dear all;

I have a problem, and I hope it's not a BIG one.
During the past weekend, I have taken more than 200 photos
on a 512Mb Compact Flash card.
While taking the last picture, the camera suddenly displayed "Card error" and then shut down.
Since then, I can no longer access the card!
Not even on my computer, and not even while using a seperate card reader.

Some observations:
- The card worked perfectly during the entire weekend,
until I shot that last photo where the error was displayed.
- I have an old camera. Is it possible that these are not compatible with big CF cards of 512Mb and more?
- BEFORE I started using the card this weekend, I had already noticed that, when reading it with a card reader,
Windows Explorer shows not one, but TWO removable media,
of which one is empty.
- I had reformatted the card on my computer before using it this weekend. I have heard that this is not good, and that it's always better to reformat CF cards on your camera instead. Maybe this is a possible cause?
- I have tried Pantera Soft's Flash File Recovery.
The problem is that this tool only seems to see the empty partition on the flash card, not the one on which the photos are stored.
- I THINK that maybe the FAT32 file system is corrupt.

Conclusion: Does anyone have experience with recovering data from corrupt CF cards?
Apart from the tool I used, have you had any good experience with another tool for restoring data from a corrupt CF card?

Many thanks in advance!
I hope I haven't lost more than 200 photos.
Carl

If you want to retrieve files from your CF card, you only need CF Card Recovery Software to recover the data inside. :wahoo: 
February 19, 2013 4:31:46 AM

What's a Compact Flash card?

Typically uses flash memory in a standardized enclosure, the Compact Flash (CF) card is a popular mass storage device format used in a variety of portable electronic equipments, such as cameras, camcorders, DSLRs, game devices, music players, etc. to store photos, videos, audio files and other multimedia files safely and to make their portability easier.

This Guide Can help you :How to recover CF card data deleted, formatted or lost on Mac?

* Accidental deletion

* Pressing the reformat button in camera

* Various reasons of damage like low battery power, turning off on writing/reading, etc.

* And so forth

You may have lost your vital photos, videos and audio files from a CF card due to any reason above. As a matter of fact, the files are not completely erased from the CF card on the deletion or formatting. Only files names and properties are erased, the file content is still hanging around and recoverable. All you need is to get a CF (Compact Flash) card recovery Mac tool, which can help to retrieve all the contents. UFUSoft CF card Data Recovery for Mac (compatible with Mac OS X 10.8(Mountain Lion), 10.7, 10.6, or 10.5) is one of that. Before acting, keep in mind that less operation on the CF card gives you higher chances to get lost files back.
September 8, 2013 2:50:04 AM

I recently shot a bunch of pics and filled up the CF card. When I got home and tried to copy them to my Mac there were about 10 that wouldn’t copy (or even be read). I’m told this happens sometimes when you slam fill up a CF card (i.e. the camera says “CF Card Full”). The card seems okay and the partition seems intact but there’s just a few pics that are completely or almost completely gray. My Windows PC reads them okay so I have a back-up but still no idea how to fix the JPG files themselves… Does that software exist?

I know a tool named: Vibosoft Card data recovery: how to recover deleted files from CF card

December 17, 2013 1:53:59 AM

if you are unable to recover your stored data from flash card, immediately use flash card recovery software. It undergoes advanced scanning algorithm and safely restores the files in the suggested location. Along with photos it also retrieves other data such as songs, videos, audios etc.

http://www.flashcardrecoveryformac.com/supporting-photo...
December 17, 2013 5:55:32 PM

It is likely that the CF card is infected by virus, so I suggest that you scan the CF card with an anti-virus software to make sure that it is not infected by virus. Microsoft Security Essential and AVG free are good
http://goo.gl/A9qf87
http://free.avg.com

After you connect CF card to computer, are you able to view it as a drive letter? If not, you may try to go to device manager and then assign a drive letter to the CF card.
http://goo.gl/YHA7zS

Now you are able to view the CF card on computer as a drive letter. So you can follow this CF card data recovery guide to recover files from CF Card
http://goo.gl/5Z0401

hope that you can get back all your files.
!