Getting sick of radeon

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I purchased a radeon 9700 pro about 4 months ago and ive had nothing but trouble with it!! First off was a problem that you might expect with this card, an insufficient power supply, in my case a generic 300w one, that worked fine at first, then after a few months suddenly wouldnt boot up.
I now have a 550psu and got it working fine a few days ago so I installed the new catalyst drivers (3.0 not 3.1) and got a strange error message after install just before it restarts, but this turned out to be nothing of worry so I thought nothing more of it until today when I booted my pc up and got an error message saying the drivers detected incorrect bus settings (or something along those lines) and the agp was disabled in direct x!!! I had to install the old 2.3 drivers and controll panel to enable 4x agp.
I don't know about you guys but this is gettin me pi*$*d off almost to the point where i'll take the thing back and put my old geforce 3 in that worked fine for 6 months:/.
LOL sorry for the long post, just had to vent some steam heh

dhlucke

Polypheme
Did you do a clean install of windows when you installed the Radeon?

What is your complete setup? Brands included.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Yeah i did a clean install of windows.

Athlon xp1700
Gigabyte GA7-DXR+
Q-Tec 550 psu
512mb pc2100 crucial
Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 2
Western Digital 20gb
Windows 98 SE and Direct X 8.1

dhlucke

Polypheme
Maybe somebody else has some insight about the bios settings though. You probably could make some headway there.

I doubt it would fix the problem, but it's probably worth installing dx9.

I'd also try the catalyst 3.1 drivers.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
There have been problems that I have been reading about with AGP 8x, so use AGP 4x, its not slower by much, if at all.

"Apple is more like the French army. They have great style and class, they often get praised for their valor, and they do everything except win."-<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">Ed Stroligo</A>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Im gonna do another fresh install on my second hd over the weekend and only install dx9 and cat3.1 drivers and btw the dxr+ is only a 4x agp board but that should only increase stability if anything, maybe the latest drivers will sort things out :) Also a point of interest, as i installed the cat3.0 drivers ATI say in their new 3.1 release that there are issues with the smartGART which are solved!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
ewww, u still need to do a fresh install of windows for new drivers? Bleh, my comp would be mutliated real fast if that happened (can't kick it now b/c i just broke my leg, but I can still use a hammer!!!). Good luck w/ the vid card.

Hilbert space is a big place.

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I'm pretty sure what he means there is that you need to do a clean install of windows when you install the radeon, not when you update the drivers. Most video cards need a clean install anyway if you upgrade from a different brand of card.

eden

Champion
Last I checked, nVidia's drivers are removed once and forever. I assume it's their uniform architecture, that allows the less possible to be scattered and hence once you remove them, they are gone.
And usually you should not run into problems installing an ATi card from then. Though when going from an ATi to an nVidia, yes you can expect some side-effects usually.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: