[LSJ] Tourney Player Emergency ?

Unfortunately we had a family emergency pull one of our players out
this past Saturday. He had 15 pool, and a couple of vamps out at the
time.

While the rules were clear that he take a "loss" we didn't know what
else to do. The tourney rules covered someone leaving between rounds
(pre and post-seating) but nothing explicit that we could find on
during round exits.

We faced a couple of scenarios:
Does his Predator get the VP and 6 pool immediately?
Does Predator get the VP immediately but not the pool?
Do we behave as if the player is still there, doesn't block anything
and we make his Predator bleed him out?

One clear conclusion we reached was that there wasn't anything to do
that was fair for everyone left...at least that was relatively simple.

Please advise.

Tobin
-tpl

tobinator wrote:
> Unfortunately we had a family emergency pull one of our players out
> this past Saturday. He had 15 pool, and a couple of vamps out at the
> time...
>
> Please advise.

It's not a perfect solution, but in a situation like that where he had
the chance to put pressure on his prey and take pressure from his
predator, I suggest handling it like a withdrawal, with the VP he would
normally get for withdrawing being lost or, if keeping the count
consistent is importatant, going to the table winner.

That way the unluckly methuselah's predator and prey immediately begin
putting pressure on each other, making it fair for the cross-table
people, if any. Nobody gets a cakewalk VP, either.

LSJ wrote:
> "Emmit Svenson" <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > tobinator wrote:
> > > Unfortunately we had a family emergency pull one of our players
out
> > > this past Saturday. He had 15 pool, and a couple of vamps out at
the
> > > time...
> >
> > ...in a situation like that where he had
> > the chance to put pressure on his prey and take pressure from his
> > predator, I suggest handling it like a withdrawal...
>
> Not fair if the withdrawn person had only 1 pool and no ready minions
> just as his predator started his untap phase (and having put no
> pressure on his prey, who now has 40 pool).

True, of course, but then again, that wouldn't be a "situation like
that" since in the scenario described, the unlucky methuselah had 15
pool and a couple of vampires.

But to be clearer, instead of "a chance to put pressure...and take
pressure" I should have said "put pressure and took pressure."

> Better for the judge to inspect the table and come up with a
> fair solution based on the particular game.

Agreed. I am describing one option available to judges that might be a
fair solution to that particular game.

tobinator wrote:

> One clear conclusion we reached was that there wasn't anything to do
> that was fair for everyone left...at least that was relatively
> simple.

This happens on deckbot quite a bit, as players feel pretty convinced
that they can't get a VP but don't want to be chained to their computer
for an hour or more while they get ousted (leave aside the question of
whether they're getting psychic and just admit the desire is there). In
such cases we lean very heavily towards a "poolsac" solution, forcing
their predator to bleed through them with no opposition. It's not a
perfect solution, but there really isn't one.

--

David Cherryholmes
david.cherryholmes@gmail.com

"OK. So be it. It's not my view, but whatever makes you
happy, right? I'm all about making you happy, Dave. :)"

-- LSJ, V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.

"tobinator" <tobin.lopes@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Unfortunately we had a family emergency pull one of our players out
> this past Saturday. He had 15 pool, and a couple of vamps out at the
> time.
>
> While the rules were clear that he take a "loss" we didn't know what
> else to do. The tourney rules covered someone leaving between rounds
> (pre and post-seating) but nothing explicit that we could find on
> during round exits.
>
> We faced a couple of scenarios:
> Does his Predator get the VP and 6 pool immediately?
> Does Predator get the VP immediately but not the pool?
> Do we behave as if the player is still there, doesn't block anything
> and we make his Predator bleed him out?
>
> One clear conclusion we reached was that there wasn't anything to do
> that was fair for everyone left...at least that was relatively simple.
>
> Please advise.

Use the "Game Loss" guidelines (section 20):

The judge should award pool and/or Victory Points to the player's
Predator, or make other arrangements to preserve game balance for the
remaining players, as warranted (possibly awarding partial VPs).

The thing to do that is fair for everyone is to have one of
the judges take over for the absent player and finish playing
the game for him. Not always an option (if you don't have
enough judges for example), but it is the cleanest solution.

Otherwise, you are free to devise whatever "other arrangements"
you can to maintain the fairness.

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Morgan Vening wrote:

> >> Not fair if the withdrawn person had only 1 pool and no ready
minions
> >> just as his predator started his untap phase (and having put no
> >> pressure on his prey, who now has 40 pool).
> >
> >True, of course, but then again, that wouldn't be a "situation like
> >that" since in the scenario described, the unlucky methuselah had 15
> >pool and a couple of vampires.
> >
> >But to be clearer, instead of "a chance to put pressure...and take
> >pressure" I should have said "put pressure and took pressure."
> >
> >> Better for the judge to inspect the table and come up with a
> >> fair solution based on the particular game.
> >
> >Agreed. I am describing one option available to judges that might be
> >fair solution to that particular game.
>
> How about doing both? Poolsack, as others have said, but still allow
> the new predator/prey to be there. When bleeding, or any other form
of
> pool damaging (vote, Army of Rats, etc), the new predator can choose
> which 'prey' they are directing it to.
>
> The problem I have with giving the Predator anything free (as some
> have suggested), is that it doesn't necessarily take into account
THAT
> Predator's Predator.

I like the idea of treating the Meth who has abandoned the game as if
they were "attempting to withdraw" every turn henceforth. As long as
the predator of the abandoning Meth can maintain any amount of pool
pressure on them, the game continues almost as if they were a
"poolsac."

The difference is that they can't just sit around and do nothing. I can
imagine a scenario where the predator of the abandoning Meth plays Rush
or Intercept combat and takes advantage of their situation by leaving
their prey alone and concentrating on making the table fall properly.
All it takes is a bleed for one every turn.

Just thinking on the fly, this could also be a problem if the predator
for some reason becomes unable to apply any more pressure (their rush
combat predator dunks all their minions).

Hm. Well maybe the Withdraw concept is flawed then. :) The main thing
is that no Meth gets an advantage from abandoning the event.

Jeff

LSJ wrote:
> "Emmit Svenson" <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > tobinator wrote:
> > > Unfortunately we had a family emergency pull one of our players
out
> > > this past Saturd ay. He had 15 pool, and a couple of vamps out at
the
> > > time...
> > >
> > > Please advise.
> >
> > It's not a perfect solution, but in a situation like that where he
had
> > the chance to put pressure on his prey and take pressure from his
> > predator, I suggest handling it like a withdrawal, with the VP he
would
> > normally get for withdrawing being lost or, if keeping the count
> > consistent is importatant, going to the table winner.
> >
> > That way the unluckly methuselah's predator and prey imm ediately
begin
> > putting pressure on each other, making it fair for the cross-table
> > people, if any. Nobody gets a cakewalk VP, either.
>

> Not fair if the withdrawn person had only 1 pool and no ready minions
> just as his predator started his u ntap phase (and having put no
> pressure on his prey, who now has 40 pool).
>
> Better for the judge to inspect the table and come up with a
> fair solution based on the particular game.
>
> --
> LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
> V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
> Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

let me assure you that this was not adjudicated this way in our game.
i'm not sure 6 judges were even ever assigned in the "multijudge
system" (big mistake #1.) the only judge who wasn't at our table did
not come and carefully inspect the situation; in fact, the player who
had an emergency had already picked up all their cards and pool etc,
and split. upon hearing a couple players describe the situation, his
"ruling" was that we had 2 ways to go: ghost player/empty seat with 15
pool, or award the VP but not the pool. i was still looking at the
rules to try to support my idea that he should just get his 6 and VP,
and when i got back to the table, i was informed, primarily by the
ghostplayer's pred and prey, that we'd pretty much decided that we'd go
with the "ghost-player" idea (which was, as has been guessed, borrowed
from the on-line game.) i asked when we'd decided that, and was told
that although we hadn't had a formal vote, that seemed best. i still
tried to say that it didn't seem best to me because of the weirdness
that would be caused by a pile of pool as the prey/pred of 2 of the
playerrs. (btw, i favored the 1VP/6pool solution although it was my
prey who would get it, because i strongly disliked the ghostplayer
idea.) when i re-iterated that a solution that actually removed the
player who had received a game loss was my preference, i was told
somewhat brusquely that it wasn't my decisioin, that only the judge
from the other table could make the ruling. i replied somewhat
brusquely back that i was still just stating my opinion, since i didn't
think the judge from the other table had even given us a clear
direction, (we still had a choice.) the predator of the ghost-player
made the statement that he'd rush his "grandprey" as often as possible,
and bleed his "prey" at least once a turn til he was gone, and that
that should keep either of them from taking too much advantage of
non-pressure,etc. with considerably less grumbling, we agreed to this
arrangement. he lived up to that, and it helped, but we still fudged
things (like when someone called Reins of Power and we counted the pred
and prey of the ghostplayer as each others' pred&prey.) let me
strongly suggest to individual judges that this solution is never used,
and possibly prohibited as a solution by the powers that be. it was
bizarre at best, and i'm sure it could've been worse.
-sporemage, the not-too-sore mage
great new cards, by the way.a

LSJ wrote:

> Use the "Game Loss" guidelines (section 20):
>
> The judge should award pool and/or Victory Points to the player's
> Predator, or make other arrangements to preserve game balance for the
> remaining players, as warranted (possibly awarding partial VPs).

It was my impression that judges are allowed to proceed as they wish in
such a case. Previous questions on this had you stating that 'leaving
pool in play' and other options were perfectly fine, am I wrong in
this?

I used to always use the 'leave pool in play' option, as if the player
simply layed down his hand and refused to block or act. But I am now
of the opinion that players leaving early for whatever reason have done
just that; withdrawn. But without getting .5 of a vp.

I don't think the judge should ever award the predator pool or vps for
their prey having to leave the game, unless such a conclusion was
basically already destined more or less. You have to earn the oust as
it were.

talonz wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
>
>>Use the "Game Loss" guidelines (section 20):
>>
>>The judge should award pool and/or Victory Points to the player's
>>Predator, or make other arrangements to preserve game balance for the
>>remaining players, as warranted (possibly awarding partial VPs).
>>

> It was my impression that judges are allowed to proceed as they wish in
> such a case. Previous questions on this had you stating that 'leaving
> pool in play' and other options were perfectly fine, am I wrong in
> this?

No, as quoted above and reimphasised in the unquoted portion of the
same message.

> I used to always use the 'leave pool in play' option, as if the player
> simply layed down his hand and refused to block or act. But I am now
> of the opinion that players leaving early for whatever reason have done
> just that; withdrawn. But without getting .5 of a vp.
>
> I don't think the judge should ever award the predator pool or vps for
> their prey having to leave the game, unless such a conclusion was
> basically already destined more or less. You have to earn the oust as
> it were.

OK.

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

>out
>the
>> >
>> > ...in a situation like that where he had
>> > the chance to put pressure on his prey and take pressure from his
>> > predator, I suggest handling it like a withdrawal...
>>
>> Not fair if the withdrawn person had only 1 pool and no ready minions
>> just as his predator started his untap phase (and having put no
>> pressure on his prey, who now has 40 pool).
>
>True, of course, but then again, that wouldn't be a "situation like
>that" since in the scenario described, the unlucky methuselah had 15
>pool and a couple of vampires.
>
>But to be clearer, instead of "a chance to put pressure...and take
>pressure" I should have said "put pressure and took pressure."
>
>> Better for the judge to inspect the table and come up with a
>> fair solution based on the particular game.
>
>Agreed. I am describing one option available to judges that might be a
>fair solution to that particular game.

How about doing both? Poolsack, as others have said, but still allow
the new predator/prey to be there. When bleeding, or any other form of
pool damaging (vote, Army of Rats, etc), the new predator can choose
which 'prey' they are directing it to.

The problem I have with giving the Predator anything free (as some
have suggested), is that it doesn't necessarily take into account THAT
Predator's Predator.

Situational:
P1 w 2 Vamps, 5 pool, preying on
P2 w 2 Vamp, 1 pool, preying on
P3 w 1 Vamps, 1 pool, preying on
P4 w 3 Vamps, 5 pool, preying on P1.

It's P4's turn. P3 has to withdraw. Giving P2 any form of bonus at
this point, is a bit unfair for P1.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Morgan Vening