What make is better? (G4 Ti4200)

damianfaye

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003
Hi.

I am about to buy the PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200 (64MB AGP 4x) because it seems PNY makes good products, however, I have seen that the G4 Ti4200 is being made by other companies like Asus, etc.

What company is better?
Do they have differences? (Don't mind tech. suppport)

If anybody can answer me before I spend $125 bucks on this card, I will be more than happy with you all.

Thanks in advance,
Leonardo

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
All brands of GF4 Ti4200 cards are based on the same Nvidia GPU and other chips, and so the difference in their performance is not significant. Maybe you should look for a card with better built quality and bundled software and accessories. However, if I were you, I would spend few more bucks and get the 9500Pro which is far more superior than Ti4200.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I know that I'm driving the nvidia zealots crazy, but I had that card and was dissapointed with it. I returned it. And yes, I had the PNY card.

It has nothing to do with the brand though.

I would seriously suggest looking at the Radeon cards. The Radeon 9500 Pro is a good buy. Consider this, the 64MB of memory that that card has is not very future proof. 256MB cards are coming soon and last I heard, Doom III will not only require a beefy card, but over 90MB of video memory to play well.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

FaMoUs

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Well, I bought a Geforce4 Ti4200 from asus and not PNY just because how the fan looked...My neighbor has PNY and mine performs just as good as his does. I dont really know why more then one company sells them though. :\ They also say that some are more easier to O/C then others but I wouldnt know anything about that.

-A7N8X (NON-DELUXE)
-AMD 2100+
-512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR
-GeForce4 Ti4200
-WD 80gig HD
-Windows Xp pro.

Auburn9698

Champion
Have you looked at LeadTek's line of cards? I have their Ti4200 128MB ($150). As elzt said, though, if you know you want a Ti4200, look for differences like big heatsinks, software, etc.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
BFGtech makes the highest quality ones in my opinion...

You'll probably pay slightly more for it though as they only seem to retail through compUSA and bestbuy.

PNY is also good, but make sure they put the right card in the box, i cannot count the number of times i've gotten an inferior card mispacked in a box for a better card from PNY...my business uses PNY for some reason, so heh, i've seen alot of this. But they are decent cards...

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 02/28/03 11:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>