GF4 ti4200 - crashing like clockwork for me HELP

drastic

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
Anytime I have multiple applications open on my desktop, my system will crash about every 30 minutes, and I have to press the reboot button on my case to restart. This happens even when Dark Age of Camelot is not open, but it especially happens when I am running 2 windows of DAOC (which I ran fine with my old gfx card). It's a 100% guarantee that my system will lock up within about 30 mins average if I'm running DAOC. If I only run 1 instance of DAOC, then it will usually run ok for a longer period of time, but will still lock up within an hour or 2. However, like I said, last night I was simply chatting, and had winamp and possibly Internet Explorer open.. and it locked up the exact same way (although I had been on much longer than 30 mins). When it locks up, the screen freezes, mouse wont move, and if a sound was being played, it sticks on that sound and plays it over and over again (loops to where it is a continous note/tone). The temperatures in my case are fine, even low. I have newest versions of BIOS for my motherboard and also the newest video card drivers installed. I have tried using Fail-Safe defaults in my BIOS, same thing happens (using 2x AGP mode, etc.). This is most frustrating, please help!!

Sys specs:

Mobo = Soyo SY-K7VTA PRO (kt133a chipset)
RAM = 512mb pc133 SDRAM
Video Card = Inno3d Tornado Gf4 Ti4200 64mb
CPU = Athlon 1.33ghz 266fsb
Sound Card = Soundblaster Live! Value
Other PCI = 3com 10/100 Ethernet
Hard Drive = WD 30g 5400rpm
Power Supply = 400w

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is a normal feature of VIA chipsets, especially older ones like yours. Try removing the soundcard and see if the problem goes away.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That sounds like a 4n1 problem, to me. What version of the 4n1's are you using?

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Not sure why you have a GF4 4200 in that machine anyway. But it seems to me that you stuck with a old chipset that doesn't like the new 4in1's that support the new video cards.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.