DECK - Hell's Fool

Last response: in Video Games
February 23, 2005 2:59:47 AM

Before I begin, just wanted to mention that I love the new set so far!
Now, I am not the biggest fan of the Baali and have yet to build a deck
focusing on the clan. Sect. Whatever -- but once I saw Valerius Maior,
I was tempted to splash some of the dark arts with the Tremere /
Tremere-Antitribu. This is just the first draft but let me know what
you think. Thanks!

Crypt: 12 Vampires Max Cap. 7 Min Cap. 3 Avg Cap. 5.25
2x Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool 7 nec pre AUS DAI DOM THAU
Tremere-Antitribu:4 ADV
2x Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool 7 nec pre AUS DAI DOM THAU Tremere:4
1x Yasmin the Black 6 AUS dom pre THAU Tremere-Antitribu:3
1x Selena 6 AUS DOM THAU Tremere-Antitribu:3
1x Muhsin Samir 6 aus DOM pot THAU Tremere:4
1x Cohn Rose 5 aus dom pre THAU Tremere:3
1x Ember Wright 3 aus dom Tremere-Antitribu:3
1x Saiz 3 aus dom Tremere-Atritribu:3
1x Martin Franckel 3 AUS thau Tremere:3
1x Sister Evelyn 3 aus dom Ventrue-Antitribu:3

Master - 12
5x Blood Doll
1x Minion Tap
1x Infernal Pact
2x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Trophy: Domain
1x Gift of Experience
1x Vox Domini

Action Modifier - 11
4x Conditioning
4x Rebirth
3x Foreshadowing Destruction

Action - 16
4x Govern the Unaligned
3x Revelations
6x Concordance
3x Rutor's Hand

Combat - 30
4x Fear of the Void Below
4x Conflagration
14x Theft of Vitae
8x Apportation

Equipment - 1
1x Bowl of Convergence

Reaction - 20
8x Forced Awakening
3x Deflection
3x Eagle's Sight
2x Spirit's Touch
2x Enhanced Senses
2x Precognition

Combo - 5
5x Sense the Sin

More about : deck hell fool

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:19:22 AM

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo wrote:

> >1x Gift of Experience
>
> I'd go for 2x Gift of Experience or 3x Effective Management, or even
> more.

Agreed.

> >6x Concordance
> >3x Rutor's Hand
>
> 6x Concordance seems nice since you want to draw one early, but
again,
> you can't use it with anyone else and once Valerius gets his copy,
the
> others are useless.

You're mistaken about the uselessness; nothing limits a minion to
having only one copy of Concordance - and the +Strength/-Stealth
stacks.

Although if you're planning to stack them, swapping a couple of the
thefts for Blood Rage/Blood Fury to take advantage of the increased
strength would be good.

-John Flournoy
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:57:46 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 23:59:47 -0800, evil_inside1999@hotmail.com wrote:

I like the overall idea, but here are some comments:

>Before I begin, just wanted to mention that I love the new set so far!
>Now, I am not the biggest fan of the Baali and have yet to build a deck
>focusing on the clan. Sect. Whatever -- but once I saw Valerius Maior,
>I was tempted to splash some of the dark arts with the Tremere /
>Tremere-Antitribu. This is just the first draft but let me know what
>you think. Thanks!

Have you tested it already? I'm curious.

>Crypt: 12 Vampires Max Cap. 7 Min Cap. 3 Avg Cap. 5.25
>2x Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool 7 nec pre AUS DAI DOM THAU
>Tremere-Antitribu:4 ADV
>2x Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool 7 nec pre AUS DAI DOM THAU Tremere:4
>1x Yasmin the Black 6 AUS dom pre THAU Tremere-Antitribu:3
>1x Selena 6 AUS DOM THAU Tremere-Antitribu:3
>1x Muhsin Samir 6 aus DOM pot THAU Tremere:4
>1x Cohn Rose 5 aus dom pre THAU Tremere:3
>1x Ember Wright 3 aus dom Tremere-Antitribu:3
>1x Saiz 3 aus dom Tremere-Atritribu:3
>1x Martin Franckel 3 AUS thau Tremere:3
>1x Sister Evelyn 3 aus dom Ventrue-Antitribu:3

>Master - 12
>5x Blood Doll
>1x Minion Tap
>1x Infernal Pact
>2x Dreams of the Sphinx
>1x Trophy: Domain

Why this? You won't contest the card, and I can see only two
cornercase uses for this trophy: beating up Valerius if he's
Graverobbed or something like that, or for giving the Trophy away to a
cross-table ally if Valerius bite the dust and you need to influence
out another.

>1x Gift of Experience

1x Gift of Experience strucks me as a prayer card. If I do want to get
Valerius merged, I'd go for a few Effective Management to fish the
copy I need, or even Recruitment if I don't mind paying 2 pool
(considering that you pay one each time you try to fish a vamp, it's
worthwhile; specially with Valerius, who is not infernal anymore when
merged).
I'd go for 2x Gift of Experience or 3x Effective Management, or even
more.

>1x Vox Domini

>Action Modifier - 11
>4x Conditioning
>4x Rebirth
>3x Foreshadowing Destruction

4x Rebirth seems good, but remember that Valerius becomes non-Red List
when merged, so you won't be able to use it anymore.

>Action - 16
>4x Govern the Unaligned
>3x Revelations
>6x Concordance
>3x Rutor's Hand

6x Concordance seems nice since you want to draw one early, but again,
you can't use it with anyone else and once Valerius gets his copy, the
others are useless.

>Combat - 30
>4x Fear of the Void Below
>4x Conflagration
>14x Theft of Vitae
>8x Apportation

I guess it's a metagame issue, but I don't know if you can defend him
from steady rushes (remember, your predator or prey just need a master
phase action available to rush Valerius with all their vampires at
stealth) with this module. At the most you will bring someone once in
a while to torpor with you, but that's not enough, specially
considering it will take some time for you to merge him (and remove
the Red List trait).

Maybe some more Fear of the Void Below or some Wind Dance (for general
defense) would help. If you *really* want other vampires to beat the
dust, a few Thoughts Betrayed for Valerius to use (though costly, )

>Equipment - 1
>1x Bowl of Convergence

I assume you didn't get a Textbook Damnation. It would allow other
!Tremere to get a Concordance and play de DAI cards for 0 blood
(Valerius and his long-theft-additional-theft combo can handle the
costs pretty well himself).

>Reaction - 20
>8x Forced Awakening
>3x Deflection
>3x Eagle's Sight
>2x Spirit's Touch
>2x Enhanced Senses
>2x Precognition
>
>Combo - 5
>5x Sense the Sin

I like tooboxes, and your deck seems nice on balancing forward
pressure and defense. Maybe a little more combat to survive would
help, but again, metagame issues must be considered. I generally don't
expect easily rush-able minions under my control to survive unless I
pack lots of combat defense (from Fortitude to dodges and S:CE) or
good hitback (I just think that maneuver-theft alone won't fit). Add
to that Valerius with a Concordance and/or a Rutor's Hand becomes to
much of a target.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:46:23 PM

> I'd go for 2x Gift of Experience or 3x Effective Management, or even
> more.
>
> >4x Rebirth
> >6x Concordance

Sounds like a job for Specialization.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:03:41 PM

All very good suggestions. You're right about me not getting a single
copy of the Textbook Damnation. I don't even know what it does so if
someone would be kind enough to post the card text, I would appreciate
it. Infernal Pact can give a minion DAI so they too can play the
featured cards. And apparently the Textbook Damnation can grant another
minion similar benefits. So I will def. try and get my hands on it.

About Gift of Experience being a prayer card. Well yes and no. I don't
want to rely on it or on the merging possibilites of Valerius. I don't
mind him being Red List and I was well aware that Rebirth requires a
Red List otherwise it would be a dead card in this particular deck.
However, it does work like a prayer card in a sense that if I am
playing at a heavy-combat table then the Gift of Experience would be
useful in getting rid of the Red List status. I don't need to be rushed
anymore than I have to in situations like these. Also works nicely if
something has gone wrong and the pool loss from Infernal is being a
bitch. But I would rather be red list for the most part mainly due to
Rebirth.

That being said, maybe I should up the number of combat cards. I do
want to send more than a single minion to torpor and Diablerize
whenever I get the chance provided I have Rebirth in hand. I didn't
know Concordance stacks, makes it all the better but I agree that I
have several cards that require me to spend blood and since most of
these actions are going to be taken by Valerius, I won't necessarily be
able to afford it. Specialization seems like a good idea, but I also
have two copies of Dreams of the Sphinx which helps with hand jam and
if I am merged, ditch Rebirth and Concordance if one is already in
play.

I also enjoy dabbling with Toolbox-oriented decks. This seems pretty
solid but I haven't tested it yet. I usually play defensive and either
Dodge, S:CE and/or prevent via Fortitude. So aggravated damage is def.
something I fear when playing and focusing on one vampire, and it's
common in my playgroup. Also the reason behind the good number of
Concordance in the deck, besides needing to get one as early as
possible.

Trophy: Domain
Master. Trophy.
The Vampire with this card has +1 intercept. Once each action, this
vampire can burn 1 blood to untap and attempts to block.

This is just another way of getting Valerius to untap. Sure, he has to
attempt to block and he's got an additional intercept which pretty much
means that I may be getting into combat again thus ending up tapped
after all. Come to think of it, maybe I should add Rotschreck and
change the combat module to focus more on Burst of Sunlight and/or
Conflagration. Or I might just swing only a couple of Rotschreck
instead of focusing the entire thing on that combo. I think people
wouldn't expect it with all the Theft of Vitae(s) going on. Much
inspriring. But yeah I may end up dumping it for something else, maybe
Specialization.

I don't think I would be adding any copies of Blood Fury though.
Excellent idea really, and I did consider it but I believe I have
enough cards that require blood and don't think I can afford it IMHO.
Fear of the Void Below is awesome in a deck like this. I can Thieve
blood from a distance and it has great synergy with Revelations. So it
does give me a side-theme of hand rape. I would like to up the number
of combat cards to at least 35 but I have no idea what to swap out. I
can go down to three copies of Rebirth if need be, but that's all I can
think of downsizing.

Also would like to diversify my combat a little more so keep the
suggestions coming. Thanks again!
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:26:52 PM

evil_inside1...@hotmail.com wrote:
> All very good suggestions. You're right about me not getting a single
> copy of the Textbook Damnation. I don't even know what it does so if
> someone would be kind enough to post the card text, I would
appreciate
> it. Infernal Pact can give a minion DAI so they too can play the
> featured cards. And apparently the Textbook Damnation can grant
another
> minion similar benefits. So I will def. try and get my hands on it.

Infernal pact does let you use DAI, but some of the DAI cards (such as
Concordance) *also* require an infernal vampire. The Textbook gives you
DAI and makes you infernal (and burns itself if the minion is tapped in
the master phase).

Come to think of it, maybe I should add Rotschreck and
> change the combat module to focus more on Burst of Sunlight and/or
> Conflagration. Or I might just swing only a couple of Rotschreck
> instead of focusing the entire thing on that combo. I think people
> wouldn't expect it with all the Theft of Vitae(s) going on. Much
> inspriring. But yeah I may end up dumping it for something else,
maybe
> Specialization.

Burst is a reasonable second strike for Valerius, especially if he's
already Theived two blood, and with a couple of Rotschreck, you can use
it defensively, too.

> I don't think I would be adding any copies of Blood Fury though.
> Excellent idea really, and I did consider it but I believe I have
> enough cards that require blood and don't think I can afford it IMHO.
> Fear of the Void Below is awesome in a deck like this. I can Thieve
> blood from a distance and it has great synergy with Revelations. So
it
> does give me a side-theme of hand rape. I would like to up the number
> of combat cards to at least 35 but I have no idea what to swap out. I
> can go down to three copies of Rebirth if need be, but that's all I
can
> think of downsizing.

Blood Rage would be better than Fury for you, IMO. The blood costs can
really add up, but you should take at least some advantage of the
strength boost + built in additional tha strikes.

> Also would like to diversify my combat a little more so keep the
> suggestions coming. Thanks again!

John
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:14:22 PM

Ah - interesting. I didn't realise that I needed to be Infernal ontop
of having DAI in which case I would def. like to swap the Bowl of
Convergence out for a copy of Textbook Damnation. Also was flipping
through some cards and chuckled when I saw Secure Haven. I had
completely overlooked this card and I believe it would fit in with
ease. Chucking the Trophy: Domain after all.

Wind Dance was an excellent suggestion, except that there is no way for
me to get my hands on several copies. I will try Blood Rage though.
Three damage with Concordance unpreventable via Fortitude plus
restricts weapon use. Hmm... might be worth a shot. Here's a revised
decklist:

Master - 12
4x Blood Doll
1x Infernal Pact
2x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Secure Haven
2x Rotschreck
1x Gift of Experience
1x Vox Domini

Action Modifier - 10
4x Conditioning
3x Rebirth
3x Foreshadowing Destruction

Action - 16
4x Govern the Unaligned
3x Revelations
6x Concordance
3x Rutor's Hand

Combat - 32
5x Fear of the Void Below
3x Blood Rage
4x Conflagration
12x Theft of Vitae
2x Burst of Sunlight
6x Apportation

Equipment - 1
1x Textbook Damnation

Reaction - 14
5x Forced Awakening
3x Deflection
3x Eagle's Sight
1x Spirit's Touch
1x Enhanced Senses
1x Precognition

Combo - 5
5x Sense the Sin

The number of Reaction cards took a beating because I was over 90 cards
in my initial post. Not such a big deal since Sense the Sin doubles as
intercept and bleed modifier. Corrected that, and my combat module is a
little more janky. But def. diversified. Had to lose a Blood Doll +
Minion Tap to add Rotshreck. I am hoping that I can send more than a
single vampire to torpor with this revised list. Thoughts?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:40:08 PM

On 23 Feb 2005 08:19:22 -0800, "John Flournoy" <carneggy@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Fabio "Sooner" Macedo wrote:
>
>> >6x Concordance
>> >3x Rutor's Hand
>>
>> 6x Concordance seems nice since you want to draw one early, but
>again,
>> you can't use it with anyone else and once Valerius gets his copy,
>the
>> others are useless.
>
>You're mistaken about the uselessness; nothing limits a minion to
>having only one copy of Concordance - and the +Strength/-Stealth
>stacks.

Hmmm. Never realized that.
Again, each extra copy costs 1 blood. I'd rather have them spread
through as many minions as possible. So the Textbook sprang to mind.

Specialization is a really good idea also.

>Although if you're planning to stack them, swapping a couple of the
>thefts for Blood Rage/Blood Fury to take advantage of the increased
>strength would be good.
>-John Flournoy

As long as one expects not to see that much aggropoke/great amounts of
damage in their metagames (myself, I prepare almost every deck to deal
with these two, tournaments aside).

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:46:49 PM

On 23 Feb 2005 11:03:41 -0800, evil_inside1999@hotmail.com wrote:

>All very good suggestions. You're right about me not getting a single
>copy of the Textbook Damnation. I don't even know what it does so if
>someone would be kind enough to post the card text, I would appreciate
>it. Infernal Pact can give a minion DAI so they too can play the
>featured cards. And apparently the Textbook Damnation can grant another
>minion similar benefits. So I will def. try and get my hands on it.

The Textbook Damnation
Equipment (Rare)
Costs: 1 pool
Unique equipment.
The vampire with this equipment has superior Daimoinon and is
infernal. Cards that require Daimoinon cost this vampire 2 less blood
to play. During your master phase, if this vampire is tapped, burn
this equipment.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
February 23, 2005 9:07:20 PM

> Crypt: 12 Vampires Max Cap. 7 Min Cap. 3 Avg Cap. 5.25
> 2x Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool 7 nec pre AUS DAI DOM THAU
> Tremere-Antitribu:4 ADV
> 2x Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool 7 nec pre AUS DAI DOM THAU
Tremere:4

> Action - 16
> 4x Govern the Unaligned
> 3x Revelations
> 6x Concordance
> 3x Rutor's Hand

Have you thought about an Atonemnet or 2? If you merge Valerius, he
becomes a 5 cap vamp.... Indeed you could make a decent deck out of
him with a Rutors and a couple atonements....

Act, untap, block and stay untapped against the weenies.

> Combat - 30
> 4x Fear of the Void Below
> 4x Conflagration
> 14x Theft of Vitae
> 8x Apportation

High Ground? If you're giving him Concordance, why not take advantage
of his wings...?

--> J
!