Nvidia loses MSI

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
looks like everyone is surrendering to ATI... hehehhehe

[H]
Keith Cyr points out that there is big news for ATi, bad news for NVIDIA according to this Yahoo Finance report. The report is saying that NVIDIA lost one of their biggest card making partners, MSI, to rival ATi. Here is the clip.

Yahoo
8:34AM NVIDIA estimates trimmed at FBR on large design loss; target $11 (NVDA) 12.57: Friedman, Billings, Ramsey has learned that NVDA has lost a large design win at Micro-Star (one of its largest customers) to ATYT; firm now believes that other designs at Micro-Star are at risk, given that they had been an NVDA-exclusive customer; additionally, firm believes NVDA's new GeForce FX line will ramp more slowly than expected due to low yields on both discrete and board-level products; trims FY04 rev/EPS ests to $1.80 bln/$0.61 from $1.83 bln/$0.63 (consensus $1.82 bln/$0.59). Price target is $11.

eden

Champion
If MSI does an RV350, the costs will surely be very competitive. MSI has some of the lowest priced hardware around!

Oh well, I think nVidia is realizing their marketting moves are not helping if they can't do good hardware anymore.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
This is only a rumour, but makes sense. MSI/ASUS/Leadtek haven't been able to get a full fledged new product out the door for a year now (unless you include the cheapass AGP8X version cards). That's tough on sales when your competitor has got a totally new generation of cards. By the looks of it, ATi'll get RV350/R350 out around the time NV30 sells. Then they'll get something like a R400 out end of this year, along with possibly NV35 from nVidia. MSI doesn't want to fall into another position like right now, where they don't have a very competitve product.. so ATi would be a safe bet.

Who knows, maybe this is all a big rumour and not true at all.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the RV350 although I got my R9700 Pro already.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
I heard they also lost VisionTek. Apparently some other company bought them and VisionTek is up and running again. Only this time they're goin with ATI.

"You read it first at X-Bit Labs back in early October that VisionTek was going to re-enter the Northern American market, but not with NVIDIA, who went to promote BFG Technologies. Today Hartford Computer Group, the company that acquired VisionTek’s brand-names, announced it has signed an agreement with ATI Technologies to bring products based on their RADEON series of graphics chips to North American markets."

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1040150688" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1040150688</A>

I know its really old news, but its still interesting to see ATI gaining partners and nVidia losin some.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, VisionTek went bankrupt, and then some firm bought them and are restarting the business. It seems like Vtek doesn't like nVidia much... if you read their site.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
Not suprising, after getting this MSI board I have, I realize, MSI is not interested in quality or a reliable product, so of course when ATi allowed their cards to be put together by other manufacturers, MSI would jump all over it like a dog to rancid meat...

ATi cards (2nd generatio of Radeon and up) and my MSI board have something in common- They are fast for the time, and they are buggy as %$#@ with incompatability and various weirdities.

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I've some experience with MSI graphics cards and mobos. They are 100% perfect in my case

Edit:- Now I'm possibly going to get a R8500LE in this month

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I have a MSI Ti4200 and I feel it's just about as good of a card as any. Well at least in terms of quality. Performance, well, my R9700 Pro kinda destroys it.. :tongue:

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
My MSI board:

The USB 2.0 will not work, no matter what I do.
The thing does this triple beep every hour or so
The fan speed detector and processor heat sensor don't work properly, so if I turn on the detect software, the annoying alarm wont stop (they worked for about a month...)

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
Nope, not an nVidia fanboy, actually, I just *HATE* ATi.

I actually have nothing against Matrox or Kyro, just never tried them yet. Might try a matrox for my next card...

The thing is, I've experience nothing but grief from ATi cards:

Had an All-In-Wonder 128: Horrible graphics (cost more than a VooDoo2, performed worse than a VooDoo1, came out around the time of a VooDoo3, which was the market standard at the time).

Their drivers were horrendus (and still are) to install: uninstall some program, reboot, don't go through the windows auto install, use ATi's exe for installing one part of the driver, the program ATi made will ask you to reboot, don't, but they ask you this anyway, then install another part, then reboot, then install another part or two, then you are done.

I've seen quite a few incompatability issues on various Radeon cards- some of my co-workers, who are EXTREMELY good at getting this stuff to work, could NOT get their radeons to, work. They went back, got a GeForce, and it worked great.

My notebook, has a "State of the art, ultimate 3D experience RAGE mobility", the first GeForce cards had just come out in notebooks, ATi didn't have the Radeon mobility's out yet. Yeah, state of the Art, that's why on windows 2000 and XP, it crashes on ANY direct 3D game, even with new drivers installed.

Thanks, but, no, I am not an nVidia fanboy, I just HATE ATi that much.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I heard they also lost VisionTek. Apparently some other company bought them and VisionTek is up and running again. Only this time they're goin with ATI.
A part of Visiontek split off and formed their company partnered with nVidia. The new company is called BFGtechnologies www.bfgtech.com Currently they're producing the highest component quality nvidia cards out there, as far as my testing shows, and are primary suppliers of nvidia graphics cards to retail outlets compUSA and BestBuy alongside PNY. BFGtech cards bear the name "Asylum" on the box and are basically Visiontek rebranded. BFGtech is supposedly going to be the first out the door with GeForce FX in the USA but that remains to be seen.

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

BEEFCAKE

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
If you can't get an ATI card to work than you don't know what you are doing. I have had ATI cards for the past 4 years and I have never had a problem I couldn't solve. Anyone who wants to bash an ATI is cool, but apparently you don't have any technical skills. Nvidia also makes good products, but thank goodness the quality I have always seen in ATI is finally starting to shine through to people.

BEEFCAKE!!!!!

RobD

Champion
I've worked on thousands (literally, thousands) of ATI's and maybe experienced 10 of those give me grief on driver install and OS recognition.

What incompatibility issues? Why not name them? I haven't come across any.

Seems to me like it's justification of your hate. Seems fanboy-ish to me!

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
*ahem* a fanboy is someone who drools over one group or thing, in my case, it's that I *HATE* one group or thing.

And I know what I'm doing. I'm not sure what boards my co-workers were using, so I couldn't tell you.

And their driver installs are still overly complex (especially in the all in wonder cards). Why bother with a card that makes me go through uninstalling something in add-remove programms, rebooting and not rebooting at the installation of various drivers, when I can use almost any other card, where you only have to install one driver?

As for my notebook, I've tried everything, installing the manufacturers video driver, installing the 'custom' drivers people have written. Regardless it crashes on D3D.

I am probably switch to Matrox, given the problems that are associated with the GeForceFX though (heat and noise). But I will not go back to ATI given the choice.

Anyway, isn't a fanboy, someone who drools over a product regardless? I don't really drool over anything on the market, I just spontaniously combust at the mention of ATi... The fanboys seem to be the ones going obsessive at me not liking ATi...

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jimstapleton on 03/04/03 08:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Jim, you sort of have a point, but you make it sound like it would take some sort of a engineer to install the Catalyst suite. It´s easy installing ATI´s drivers. The process isn´t as simple as with the Detonators, but unless you´re a comlete newbie it isn´t that complicated.

This is my first ATI card, so I´m not very experienced in this matter, but I would say Nvidia has slightly better drivers. I haven´t had any serious issues with Catalyst, but I just have a feeling that Nvidia´s drivers are a tad better.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
ROFL. Ok, so my experience with ATI is recent and rather limited, but it sure didn't take a degree to install my brothers 9500 Pro.

Let me see if I can remember what I did...

Step 1: Install Catalyst Drivers by inserting cd and clicking next a few times

And that was it, done.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
look at letters next to the mobo on my sig (POS). Due to costs and relatively low budget for computer equipment, I'm relatively unforgiving to companies unless they have a long history of doing me well.

My first MSI board, prolly my last MSI piece of equipment.

I gave ATi more of a chance (not by choice mostly) than any other company who's products I've bough for computers, without being satisfied.

Actually, now that I think of it, there was one card that was only a little bit of a bother- My Aunt's AIW 8500DV, I only had to install the drivers twice to get it to work.

Well, and my PCI TV Wonder is good, if I'm not using Windows XP.... I have to abort the driver install midway to get it to work (DON'T ASK ME WHY, BUT THAT'S THE ONLY WAY I GOT THIS THING TO WORK IN XP o_O)

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
The process isn´t as simple as with the Detonators, but unless you´re a comlete newbie it isn´t that complicated.

uhm..?

had radeon9700pro in my pc, downloaded driver, installed, rebooted.
put gf2mx in my pc for testing, downloaded driver, installed, rebooted.

now i can switch them how ever i want. there are _NO_ driver issues on _BOTH_ cards. except that the ati driver reports "no ati found". wich is a funny report. 99% of the time where the pc can't find successfully your ati card, its broken => you will not see anything.. how often do you change normally cards plug'n'play alike? well, i do for gamedev, thats all.

there are _NO_ issues with ati drivers, there are _NO_ issues with nvidia drivers when it comes to install them. if there are, then its _NOT_ the driver problem, but a stupid pc bug/bad windows config.

oh, and then there came cat3.1.. what did i? downloaded, installed, rebooted.. done

but you know what? the kyro2 card does not even need a reboot!! download, install, set new screen res. done..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Detonator: Download, install, reboot

Catalyst: Download, unpack, install, reboot, install, reboot

Someone who has never tinkered with the computwer before (updated drivers etc.) will most likely have an easier time installing Nvidia drivers, though installing Catalyst isn´t anywhere near as hard as Jim has had it.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

RobD

Champion
It don't matter what ATI card you have, their driver installs are (relatively) simple. There's no trick or knack to it. It's not exactly complex is it?!

Nvidia's drivers are simpler, but lets face it, these drivers are designed for average joe computer user to download and install.

edwardz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I can't beleive i'm actually reading this. Driver Install arguing? Isn'T there nothing easier than a driver install? LOL I don'T want to see one more post about Nvidia vs ATI driver installation after this one. This is just hilarious. A few posts would of been understandable but, this is quite a few...

God is more important than the difference between nForce2 and Granite Bay

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If you notice we have not run a story about this in the News section, reason being it appears that MSI may in fact not be moving to ATI after all. Lots of rumors at this point, but no confirmation. At this point MSI is saying this in fact isn't the case. Only time will tell at this point. - I just thought I would drop my two cents worth into the meter.