Radeon Incompatible with What?

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
aight, so I purchased a new computer. It's got a Radeon 9700 pro that came with it and now that I see it, It's making my other pc look like a sick little puppy (yes it's used still). So I want to stick a Radeon in it as well. Problem is, I've heard of some incompatibilities with certain motherboard chipsets. The other problems is I can't remember which it was. I've been looking all over the internet and here as well, but all I'm seeing is peoples problems with individual issues. I can't get the global answer.

I'm looking to either stick another 9700 pro in it, or I might budget a bit and put a 9500 pro in it. Your opinion is appreciated on that one as well.

The Mobo that the old system has in it is an Asus P4S533. I believe it's SIS. If I remember right.

It's a p4 2.26 system with DDR PC2700.
Geforce 4200 (verto? I think).

So what's this that I hear about incompatibles? Is my old motherboard safe to jack a 9700-9500 into it, or is it doomed to be outdated only about 8 months after It's initial purchase? :)

Any help is appreciated.

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Go for it! That chipset should be ok with a 9700pro, i would be more worried about the psu, just make sure its at least 350w or more. My 9700pro is sittin in a year old gigabyte m/b and no real problems (except i tried to run it on 300w generic psu lol) and some driver issues which are solved with the new catalyst 3.1 drivers :)

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll be ok with my power supply. Its an antec truepower 430. I hope that's enough ;)

Again, that's for the reply.

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>

edwpang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
I have seen some cases of 9700 incompatible with AGP 8X mobo especially those SIS648(P4) and VIA 400(AMD) in rage3d.com forum. So slightly older mobo(i815+) without AGP8X should be pretty safe.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I think it should be fine. The earlier revision R9700 were having AGP8X mobo compatibility probs, but they seem to be better now. Since your mobo isn't AGP8X anyways, I think it should be fine. As for the card, I'd get either a R9700 non pro or a R9500 Pro. A R9700 Pro would be kinda wasted on that comp, unless you gotta have the best.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually you have a GREAT board for that card. You see, the P4S533 was a solid board to begin with. The newer P4S8X was garbage. The AGP8x problem of the P4S8X will be nonexistant on your AGP4x board. AGP8x isn't needed anyway at this point.

I built a system with your board for a friend, using a P4 1.8 Northwood, and overclocked it to 2.4GHz (stock 2.4/533 speed) quite easily, using the vCore+.2v jumper for stability.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Yep...ok, it's coming back to me. I remember reading that somewhere. Ok.

Thanks.

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
I'm an Asus Fan :).

Plus I got the power to back it up. Wootah. You should see my new sys ;)

Thanks for the help. It's most appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well Mr. Asus Fan, while YOUR board is great, the later P4S8X from Asus was junk, so I try not to be a "fan" of any company.

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Well Mr. Witty comeback 8Þ

I'll even drop my parents like cheap ho's if they don't treat me right. It goes with out saying that I'll do that to a company that I have no affiliation to if they then turn around and produce junk. They no treatie goodie, they no gettie business.

I've personally had good experiences with Asus, so right now, I have no reason to hate them.

Fanboy, I'm not. Fan of what works for me, I am.

thanks again for the help. The wit could be better 8Þ

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you said you were a fan.

I think most of Asus's products are good. It's just that I'm not a "fan" because I've seen their junk as well as their good stuff

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Yep, I did say that I was a fan. And I am, with what I own from them. The second I get a hunk a junk from em, I'll toss em aside faster than I did my new kids on the block cassette collection. Joey still hasn't given me my new kids autographed glossy! (sarcasm!..come on, jump on in!:)

I'll be more careful with the word "fan" around here. I forget what trouble that word can get you in 8Þ.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As a system builder, I've gotten bad product from almost every manufacturer you can think of. But I realize it's bound to happen sooner or later to everyone. There are only 3 board manufacturers I refuse to purchase from: PC-Chips (including ECS and Amptron), Soyo (because they don't offer a valid warranty), and VIA (because they always use VIA chipsets, wonder why?).

Did you know that most, if not all, HP boards were made by Asus? Did you know that many Packard Bell boards were made by Intel? Good companies DO make bad products, it's a fact of life you simply can't get around. I only boycott a company if I have repeated problems over a long period of time.

RobD

Champion
NKOTB?! AAARRRGGGHH. For crimes against music, I find you...guilty.

I know what you mean tho, If it works well for you, you have a bit of respect for the company, 'cos as far as your concerned, they're OK, they work for you, do the job you asked.

When they don't tho, that's when it all gets bitter and twisted.

Crash's situation is pretty unique. He has experience with just about every piece of kit by every manufacturer. So, law of averages suggests, somewhere along the line, a big hunk of shite comes along. And Crash has seen some shite!