Lawful Stupid

Last response: in Video Games
August 27, 2005 1:24:19 AM

OOTS#214:
http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=214

More about : lawful stupid

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:02:00 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb said

> OOTS#214:
> http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=214

Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly deserves
constant abuse.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:35:55 PM

In article <Xns96BF7A68BA2C8rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb said
>
>> OOTS#214:
>> http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=214
>
>Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly deserves
>constant abuse.

Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be more; I
was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than aborting it
(probabluy related to the zoning out).

Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time (possibly
ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to people insisting
Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.
August 28, 2005 3:44:21 PM

On 27 Aug 2005 19:35:55 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time (possibly
> ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to people insisting
> Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.

I don't think that's the point of that particular strip. AFAICT the
paladin is completely over the top in every way, and this is just
another example of it.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Mark Blunden wrote:
> David Alex Lamb wrote:
> > In article <Xns96BF7A68BA2C8rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
> > Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb
> >> said

> >> Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly
> >> deserves constant abuse.
> >
> > Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be
> > more; I was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than
> > aborting it (probabluy related to the zoning out).
> >
> > Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time
> > (possibly ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to
> > people insisting Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.
>
> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=2...
>
> O ye of little faith.

OH MY GOD YES! *weeps tears of joy*

Laszlo
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:49:31 PM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> In article <Xns96BF7A68BA2C8rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
> Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb
>> said
>>
>>> OOTS#214:
>>> http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=214
>>
>> Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly
>> deserves constant abuse.
>
> Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be
> more; I was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than
> aborting it (probabluy related to the zoning out).
>
> Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time
> (possibly ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to
> people insisting Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=2...

O ye of little faith.

--
Mark.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:08:17 PM

I had never seen this strip before; when I saw it in this thread,
curiosity drove me to the site. Episode 214 was so damned funny I went
back and read the ENTIRE thing in one setting, from episode #1.

I have never laughed so hard in my life.

It's like watching my group!! I swear!!!!
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 7:00:02 PM

In article <3ng0gvF1a95pU1@individual.net>,
Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:
>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>> Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time
>> (possibly ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to
>> people insisting Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.
>
>http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=2...
>
>O ye of little faith.

You're right; I should have trusted Rich.
August 29, 2005 11:14:20 PM

On 27 Aug 2005 19:35:55 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
dared speak in front of ME:

>In article <Xns96BF7A68BA2C8rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
>Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb said
>>
>>> OOTS#214:
>>> http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=214
>>
>>Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly deserves
>>constant abuse.
>
>Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be more; I
>was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than aborting it
>(probabluy related to the zoning out).
>
>Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time (possibly
>ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to people insisting
>Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.

She redeems herself...

http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=215

"You didn't actually think I'd be stupid enough to allow the enemy to
completely surround me without a valid strategic plan in mind?"

--
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
the conservative adopts them.

September 1, 2005 12:10:26 AM

On 27 Aug 2005 19:35:55 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
scribed into the ether:

>In article <Xns96BF7A68BA2C8rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
>Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb said
>>
>>> OOTS#214:
>>> http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=214
>>
>>Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly deserves
>>constant abuse.
>
>Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be more; I
>was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than aborting it
>(probabluy related to the zoning out).
>
>Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time (possibly
>ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to people insisting
>Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.

Miko is not behaving that way because Paladins must behave that way, she's
behaving that way because she's the poster-girl for Lawful Stupid.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:20:30 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2005 19:35:55 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>In article <Xns96BF7A68BA2C8rsingers@IP-Hidden>,
>>Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea David Alex Lamb said

>>>Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly deserves
>>>constant abuse.
>>
>>Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be more; I
>>was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than aborting it
>>(probabluy related to the zoning out).
>>
>>Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time (possibly
>>ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to people insisting
>>Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.
>

> Miko is not behaving that way because Paladins must behave that way, she's
> behaving that way because she's the poster-girl for Lawful Stupid.

She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:50:16 AM

Shawn Roske <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On 27 Aug 2005 19:35:55 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex
>> Lamb) scribed into the ether:

>>>Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be
>>>more; I was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than
>>>aborting it (probabluy related to the zoning out).
>>>
>>>Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time
>>>(possibly ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to
>>>people insisting Paladins have to be stupid to keep their
>>>paladinhood.
>>

>> Miko is not behaving that way because Paladins must behave that way,
>> she's behaving that way because she's the poster-girl for Lawful
>> Stupid.
>
> She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
> she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.

In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in the
party.

Not that it takes much.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
> > > She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
> > > she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.
> > >
> > In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in the
> > party.
>
> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.

Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less risk
to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.

Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies as
stupid.

She also states that she meant every word she said, which might imply
that her plan being effective was secondary.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:35:22 PM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:20:30 -0400, Shawn Roske <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On 27 Aug 2005 19:35:55 GMT, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb)
>> scribed into the ether:

>>>Acutally I expected most here had read it, but there was going to be more; I
>>>was too zoned out to finish the post and sent it rather than aborting it
>>>(probabluy related to the zoning out).
>>>
>>>Mos of OOTS is pretty funny. This is the first one in a long time (possibly
>>>ever) that I didn't like. I think I'm oversensitive to people insisting
>>>Paladins have to be stupid to keep their paladinhood.
>>

>> Miko is not behaving that way because Paladins must behave that way, she's
>> behaving that way because she's the poster-girl for Lawful Stupid.
>
>She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
>she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.

My comment pre-dated #215, so the ultimate result was as yet unknown.

It was still not a great plan. What if "Elf" and Durkon didn't have
appropriate spells available? She didn't bother to consult with anyone to
let them know what was going on. Lawful Stupid.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:36:29 PM

No 33 Secretary wrote:

> You're just a sore loser.
>
> --
> "So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
> -- William Hyde
> Terry Austin
> www.hyperbooks.com

You imagine you've won what?

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:30:42 PM

No 33 Secretary wrote:

> Madkaugh wrote:
> >
> > No 33 Secretary wrote:
> >>
> >> You're just a sore loser.
> >>
> > You imagine you've won what?
> >
> You imagine you've lost to _me_ why?

Yes, the ducks do fly faster if you paint racing stripes on them.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:17:10 PM

"Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Rupert Boleyn wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
>> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

>> > In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in
>> > the party.
>>
>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>

> Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less
> risk to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>
> Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies
> as stupid.
>
> She also states that she meant every word she said, which might imply
> that her plan being effective was secondary.

You're just a sore loser.

--
"So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
-- William Hyde
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:24:16 PM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
<taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> > She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
> > she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.
> >
> In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in the
> party.

Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:24:17 PM

Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> > She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
>> > she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.
>> >
>> In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in the
>> party.
>
> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.

No, the paladin's plan was a perfectly *god* one. Roy's might have been
perfectly go*o*d, but since when can common sense compete with diety?

--
"So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
-- William Hyde
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:09:13 AM

> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>>
>> You're just a sore loser.
>>
>> --
>> "So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
>> -- William Hyde
>> Terry Austin
>> www.hyperbooks.com
>
> You imagine you've won what?

You imagine you've lost to _me_ why?

--
"So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
-- William Hyde
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:58:17 AM

> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>>
>> Madkaugh wrote:

>> > You imagine you've won what?
>> >
>> You imagine you've lost to _me_ why?
>>
> Yes, the ducks do fly faster if you paint racing stripes on them.

There are eels in my hovercraft.

--
"So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
-- William Hyde
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:04:25 AM

No 33 Secretary wrote:
> Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
>> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

>>> In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in
>>> the party.
>>
>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>>
> No, the paladin's plan was a perfectly *god* one. Roy's might have
> been perfectly go*o*d, but since when can common sense compete with
> diety?

Lots of diets are based on fads or poorly-conceived pseudo-science, so
common sense outclasses them easily. Deities, on the other hand, have little
or no relation to common sense.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:15:35 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in
>
> > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
> > <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> >> In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in the
> >> party.
> >
> > Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
> >
> No, the paladin's plan was a perfectly *god* one. Roy's might have been
> perfectly go*o*d, but since when can common sense compete with diety?

Yeah, yeah.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:16:57 PM

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:15:35 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in
>>
>> > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
>> > <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

>> > Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>> >
>> No, the paladin's plan was a perfectly *god* one. Roy's might have
>> been perfectly go*o*d, but since when can common sense compete with
>> diety?
>
> Yeah, yeah.

Hey, it was a very ironic typo. Somebody had to say it.

--
"So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
-- William Hyde
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:00:13 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:

> It was still not a great plan. What if "Elf" and Durkon didn't have
> appropriate spells available? She didn't bother to consult with anyone to
> let them know what was going on.

That would've all rather ruined the punchline, wouldn't it now.

> Lawful Stupid.

/Someone/ here is being lawful stupid.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:39:32 AM

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:00:13 +1200, tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>> It was still not a great plan. What if "Elf" and Durkon didn't have
>> appropriate spells available? She didn't bother to consult with anyone to
>> let them know what was going on.
>
> That would've all rather ruined the punchline, wouldn't it now.

Ok, if we corrected punchlines for accuracy, Elan would vanish from all
existance. Just because it was needed to set up the punchline doesn't
change the fact that it WASN'T VERY SMART.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:09:40 AM

Robert Singers wrote:
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said
>
> >> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
> >

> > Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less risk
> > to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
> >
> > Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies as
> > stupid.
>
> No it doesn't. She forced the party to follow her plan by not giving them
> the oppurtunity to refuse.

She gave them plenty of opportunity to refuse:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=2...

(panel 7)

> If she communicated her plan ahead of time it would not have worked.

You are aware that it is a comic strip, I take it. It worked because it
was written that way. If Rich Burlew decides that she is going to be an
uber character, she will be. TBD.

> That would have been stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.

> Not withstanding the fact that you failed to understand the implicite piss
> take of the D&D turn system.

So you're saying you appreciate it when one bonehead rushes ahead
without discussing the party's action? Are you that bonehead? I'm glad
you aren't in my games.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:03:28 PM

Terry Austin wrote:

> Are you really going to get in to a flame war over someone not getting the
> punch line in a comic?
>
> Now *that* is funny.

Then you must be easily amused. Your flame to point ratio the lowest in
the newsgroup.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:45:59 PM

Robert Singers wrote:

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said
>
> >> That would have been stupid.
> >
> > Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.
>
> You know, not being entirely up with your
> idiom, it appears to me that you're calling
> yourself stupid.

Gee, I'm sorry, I gave you too much credit.

The quote is from a movie called "Forrest Gump".
You do know what a movie is, don't you?

Forrest Gump is a fictional character (fik' shun
all char' ak tur). It means he's made up, not real.
I mention that because that seems to be one of the
points you stumble over.

Anyway, Forrest is a bit slow, mentally. He asks
his mom if he is stupid. She says, "Stupid is as
stupid does." She is trying to encourage him to
do his best. What does your mom tell you?

So, by addressing you as Forrest, I am equating
you with the fictional character, Forrest Gump,
who is a bit slow mentally. Ok, got it?

> You don't need to do that, it's self evident.

Behold the mighty power of your wit. Hmm, you
might want to change that bulb. It's a bit dim.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:12:16 PM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said

>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>

> Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less risk
> to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>
> Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies as
> stupid.

No it doesn't. She forced the party to follow her plan by not giving them
the oppurtunity to refuse. If she communicated her plan ahead of time it
would not have worked. That would have been stupid.

Not withstanding the fact that you failed to understand the implicite piss
take of the D&D turn system.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:12:17 PM

On 4 Sep 2005 19:12:16 +1200, Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said
>
>>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>>

>> Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less risk
>> to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>>
>> Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies as
>> stupid.
>
>No it doesn't. She forced the party to follow her plan by not giving them
>the oppurtunity to refuse. If she communicated her plan ahead of time it
>would not have worked.

Bullshit.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:12:17 PM

Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said
>
>>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>>

>> Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less
>> risk to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>>
>> Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies
>> as stupid.
>
> No it doesn't. She forced the party to follow her plan by not giving
> them the oppurtunity to refuse. If she communicated her plan ahead of
> time it would not have worked. That would have been stupid.
>
> Not withstanding the fact that you failed to understand the implicite
> piss take of the D&D turn system.

Are you really going to get in to a flame war over someone not getting the
punch line in a comic?

Now *that* is funny.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:36:53 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Terry Austin said

> Are you really going to get in to a flame war over someone not getting
> the punch line in a comic?

You're complaining about the fish biting?
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:40:54 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said

>> That would have been stupid.
>
> Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.

You know, not being entirely up with your idiom, it appears to me that
you're calling yourself stupid. You don't need to do that, it's self
evident.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:41:47 AM

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Terry Austin said
>
>> Are you really going to get in to a flame war over someone not getting
>> the punch line in a comic?
>
> You're complaining about the fish biting?

When it's someone else's hook, certainly.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:43:34 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Terry Austin said

>> You're complaining about the fish biting?
>>
> When it's someone else's hook, certainly.

Just consider it throwing chum into the water.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:22:28 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:35:22 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>>She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
>>she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.
>
>My comment pre-dated #215, so the ultimate result was as yet unknown.
>
>It was still not a great plan. What if "Elf" and Durkon didn't have
>appropriate spells available?

Not a real consideration. She obviously knew what spells they were
packing. She was being a big show-off, though, but that's not the
Lawful Stupid stereotype.
September 5, 2005 6:49:44 AM

On 2 Sep 2005 07:29:48 -0700, "Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>Rupert Boleyn wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
>> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

>> > In point of fact, she turned out to be smarter than anyone else in the
>> > party.
>>
>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>
>Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less risk
>to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>
>Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies as
>stupid.

Unless one is sufficiently aware of the personalities involved, that
one can make safe assumptions about how they will react regardless.

>She also states that she meant every word she said, which might imply
>that her plan being effective was secondary.

Which is what makes it brilliant: it satisfies both tactical needs
(which we'll grant Roy's did as well) and also meets the requirements
of her Code (at least, as she interprets it.)

--
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
the conservative adopts them.
Samuel Clemens, "Notebook," 1935
September 5, 2005 6:49:45 AM

On 4 Sep 2005 17:45:59 -0700, "Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>Robert Singers wrote:
>
>> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said

>> > Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.
>>
>> You know, not being entirely up with your
>> idiom, it appears to me that you're calling
>> yourself stupid.
>
>Gee, I'm sorry, I gave you too much credit.
>
>The quote is from a movie called "Forrest Gump".

While fairly popular in North America, mostly due to it's multitude of
pseudo-cameos from popular US figures of the time, I couldn't say how
well it went over in the Southern hemisphere.

>What does your mom tell you?

Not to be like you.

--
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
the conservative adopts them.
Samuel Clemens, "Notebook," 1935
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:54:29 AM

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Terry Austin said
>
>>> You're complaining about the fish biting?
>>>
>> When it's someone else's hook, certainly.
>
> Just consider it throwing chum into the water.

Heh. Indeed.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:55:00 AM

Kaos wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2005 17:45:59 -0700, "Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> dared
> speak in front of ME:
>
> >The quote is from a movie called "Forrest Gump".
>
> While fairly popular in North America, mostly due to it's multitude of
> pseudo-cameos from popular US figures of the time, I couldn't say how
> well it went over in the Southern hemisphere.

The cameos are woven into the story well and are technically well done.
While they're clever enough, I've never considered them to be the main
appeal of the movie.

> >What does your mom tell you?
>
> Not to be like you.

Whatever.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:11:13 AM

Robert Singers wrote:

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said

> > You do know what a movie is, don't you?
>
> Of course I know what a movie is.

That is disingenuous. You also know what a comic strip
is, yet you act like you don't.

> What you don't seem to recognise is that someone
> would have had to watch the move to understand
> the reference, hence my comment about your idiom.

My apologies, I thought the quotes and context of the quotes would have
been common knowledge throughout the English speaking world. If you
look at it as an allegory about the value or perserverance, it is a
pretty good flick.

> I'm sorry I uses a word tha confused you.

Priceless.

> Leaving my conversations with my mother aside,
> one has to ask why you don't try harder if you
> find the sentiment so endearing.

Maybe you aren't worth the trouble.

> Are you sure you're not having difficulty with the third person?

Oo, what vast powers of reparte you have.

> That would make much more sense; given your track record and all.

Oo, yet another display of your brilliant wit.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:43:57 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said
[snip]
>> You know, not being entirely up with your
>> idiom, it appears to me that you're calling yourself stupid.
>
> Gee, I'm sorry, I gave you too much credit.
>
> The quote is from a movie called "Forrest Gump".
> You do know what a movie is, don't you?

Of course I know what a movie is. What you don't seem to recognise is that
someone would have had to watch the move to understand the reference, hence
my comment about your idiom. I'm sorry I uses a word tha confused you.

> Forrest Gump is a fictional character (fik' shun
> all char' ak tur). It means he's made up, not real.
> I mention that because that seems to be one of the
> points you stumble over.
>
> Anyway, Forrest is a bit slow, mentally. He asks
> his mom if he is stupid. She says, "Stupid is as
> stupid does." She is trying to encourage him to
> do his best. What does your mom tell you?

Leaving my conversations with my mother aside, one has to ask why you don't
try harder if you find the sentiment so endearing

> So, by addressing you as Forrest, I am equating
> you with the fictional character, Forrest Gump,
> who is a bit slow mentally. Ok, got it?

Are you sure you're not having difficulty with the third person? That
would make much more sense; given your track record and all.

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"

Robert Singers wrote:

> ROTFLMAO.

They have medical treatments for that now.

> It's obvious that you don't know the meaning of
> the word disingenuous or for that matter hypocrisy.

Looked 'em up in "The Big Book of Words", did we?

> >> I'm sorry I uses a word tha confused you.

> From the person who use Forrest Gump as an insult.

> From the person who use Forrest Gump as an insult.

Speaking of track records ...

MadKaugh
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:11:27 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:22:28 GMT, rgorman@block.net (David Johnston)
scribed into the ether:

>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:35:22 GMT, Matt Frisch
><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>
>>>She seemed to make a good call and was very effective. What rule was
>>>she blindly following? She actually more bash and impulsive than not.
>>
>>My comment pre-dated #215, so the ultimate result was as yet unknown.
>>
>>It was still not a great plan. What if "Elf" and Durkon didn't have
>>appropriate spells available?
>
>Not a real consideration. She obviously knew what spells they were
>packing.

She did? Hell, a cleric with the capability to doing an AOE nukage is not
exactly commonplace.

> She was being a big show-off, though, but that's not the
>Lawful Stupid stereotype.

I don't get the sense that she's showing off.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:12:34 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 02:49:44 -0600, Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com>
scribed into the ether:

>On 2 Sep 2005 07:29:48 -0700, "Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> dared
>speak in front of ME:
>
>>Rupert Boleyn wrote:
>>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:50:16 -0000, Terry Austin
>>> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

>>> Roy's plan was a perfectly god one, if not so inspired.
>>
>>Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less risk
>>to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>>
>>Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies as
>>stupid.
>
>Unless one is sufficiently aware of the personalities involved, that
>one can make safe assumptions about how they will react regardless.

Which having known the group for a couple of days (at most), and
demonstrating an almost willful ignorance of well...common language, is not
something to be assumed.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:00:00 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:11:27 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:22:28 GMT, rgorman@block.net (David Johnston)
>scribed into the ether:

>>>My comment pre-dated #215, so the ultimate result was as yet unknown.
>>>
>>>It was still not a great plan. What if "Elf" and Durkon didn't have
>>>appropriate spells available?
>>
>>Not a real consideration. She obviously knew what spells they were
>>packing.
>
>She did?

Yes, she did.

>Hell, a cleric with the capability to doing an AOE nukage is not
>exactly commonplace.

Hence she knew what they were specifically packing.

>> She was being a big show-off, though, but that's not the
>>Lawful Stupid stereotype.
>
>I don't get the sense that she's showing off.

Not telling people her plan so she can make it a big reveal at the
last moment? That's showing off. I've played with players like that.
They can be clever, but always try to be "dramatic" with their
cleverness by holding back until the last moment what they plan.

"Lawful Stupid" is when a player thinks that their Lawful Good
character has to be entirely unpragmatic in their behaviour. It's not
the same thing at all.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:41:14 PM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 02:49:44 -0600, Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>
>>On 2 Sep 2005 07:29:48 -0700, "Madkaugh" <madkaugh@yahoo.com> dared
>>speak in front of ME:

>>>Not only is Roy's plan a perfectly good one, it involved much less
>>>risk to the party members. Especially personal risk to her.
>>>
>>>Failing to communicate her plan to the party ahead of time qualifies
>>>as stupid.
>>
>>Unless one is sufficiently aware of the personalities involved, that
>>one can make safe assumptions about how they will react regardless.
>
> Which having known the group for a couple of days (at most), and
> demonstrating an almost willful ignorance of well...common language,
> is not something to be assumed.

Dude, it's a *fantasy* game.

And you're arguing over the punch line of a comic.

Get over yourself.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:07:53 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said

>> >What does your mom tell you?
>>
>> Not to be like you.
>
> Whatever.

Wow you're really outdoing yourself on the witty highbrow flaming.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:09:10 AM

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Madkaugh said

>> From the person who use Forrest Gump as an insult.
>
>> From the person who use Forrest Gump as an insult.
>
> Speaking of track records ...

That fact that you don't feature in anyone's sig - unless it's their
favourite stupid statement - is a pretty safe bet.
    • 1 / 8
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4