[LSJ] Mata Hari and burn option

So there I was, building a deck around Mata Hari (come now, who isn't?)
and a thought occurred to me.

How does she exactly interact with the burn option cards? Does her
special ability count as "mandatory" so that if she is in play, I can't
discard eg. Tracker's Marks with the burn option? Or does her special
only "activate" when I want to play cards that have requirements?

Either of these possibilities seems possible and logical rules-wise.

--CV

The Cadaverous Verger wrote:
> So there I was, building a deck around Mata Hari (come now, who isn't?)
> and a thought occurred to me.
>
> How does she exactly interact with the burn option cards? Does her
> special ability count as "mandatory" so that if she is in play, I can't
> discard eg. Tracker's Marks with the burn option? Or does her special
> only "activate" when I want to play cards that have requirements?
>
> Either of these possibilities seems possible and logical rules-wise.
>
> --CV

I believe you can ditch those cards. She can PLAY card as whatever, but
she is NOT OF whatever.
Correspondingly she can equip with Erebus Mask, but she'll never benefit
from its effects. (So she'd better make use of the option to 'burn' the
card in the first place :) )

Sten During

Sten During wrote:

> The Cadaverous Verger wrote:
>
>> So there I was, building a deck around Mata Hari (come now, who
>> isn't?) and a thought occurred to me.
>>
>> How does she exactly interact with the burn option cards? Does her
>> special ability count as "mandatory" so that if she is in play, I
>> can't discard eg. Tracker's Marks with the burn option? Or does her
>> special only "activate" when I want to play cards that have requirements?
>>
>> Either of these possibilities seems possible and logical rules-wise.
>>
>> --CV
>

> I believe you can ditch those cards. She can PLAY card as whatever, but
> she is NOT OF whatever.
> Correspondingly she can equip with Erebus Mask, but she'll never benefit
> from its effects. (So she'd better make use of the option to 'burn' the
> card in the first place :) )

Correct.

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Sten During wrote:

> I believe you can ditch those cards. She can PLAY card as whatever, but
> she is NOT OF whatever.

Wonderful. This makes the Mata Hari Twister a worthy successor to
Pochtli Twister, with sweet stuff like Shilmulo Tarot and Sudario
Refraction. :)

--CV