[LSJ] Pack Alpha resolution order

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002

Pack Alpha
Combat (Common)
Animalism
A vampire may play only one Pack Alpha each round.
[ani] Employ an animal retainer from your hand before range is determined.
Pay cost as normal.
[ANI] Burn an animal retainer employed by this vampire and put this card on
this vampire. The minion with this card gets +1 strength. A minion may have
only one Pack Alpha.

----

Howler, with retained Owl Companion, gets into combat with Fatima. Fatima
shoots Owl Companion with a really big gun. Can Howler play Pack Alpha at
[ANI] after strike is declared but before Fatima's strike resolves to burn
Owl Companion and still gain the permanent effect?

Seems similar enough to Wolf Claws et al, so I am guessing the answer is
'Yes'. Traditionally, that means the answer is a resounding 'No'.

Cheers,
WES

P.S. Confidential to those who I play with: I will be abusing this card, oh
yes I will. You have been warned.

Wes wrote:

> Pack Alpha
> Combat (Common)
> Animalism
> A vampire may play only one Pack Alpha each round.
> [ani] Employ an animal retainer from your hand before range is determined.
> Pay cost as normal.
> [ANI] Burn an animal retainer employed by this vampire and put this card on
> this vampire. The minion with this card gets +1 strength. A minion may have
> only one Pack Alpha.
>
> ----
>
> Howler, with retained Owl Companion, gets into combat with Fatima. Fatima
> shoots Owl Companion with a really big gun. Can Howler play Pack Alpha at
> [ANI] after strike is declared but before Fatima's strike resolves to burn
> Owl Companion and still gain the permanent effect?
>
> Seems similar enough to Wolf Claws et al, so I am guessing the answer is
> 'Yes'. Traditionally, that means the answer is a resounding 'No'.

Yes.

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ wrote:
>> Howler, with retained Owl Companion, gets into combat with Fatima.
>> Fatima shoots Owl Companion with a really big gun. Can Howler play
>> Pack Alpha at [ANI] after strike is declared but before Fatima's
>> strike resolves to burn Owl Companion and still gain the permanent
>> effect?
>>
>> Seems similar enough to Wolf Claws et al, so I am guessing the answer
>> is 'Yes'. Traditionally, that means the answer is a resounding 'No'.
>
> Yes.

If Howler had declared a strike of hands, would that strike resolve with
the extra +1 strength from the Pack Alpha?

(Ie, is the strike damage set at declaration or resolution?)

--Colin McGuigan

"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
> If Howler had declared a strike of hands [and then increased her
strength],
> would that strike resolve with the extra +1 strength from the Pack Alpha?

Yes.

> (Ie, is the strike damage set at declaration or resolution?)

The latter. See also Body Arsenal (or even Manstopper Rounds,
for a non-Strength version).

--
LSJ (vtesrep@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Matthew Heslin wrote:
> "Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net> wrote in message
>
> > P.S. Confidential to those who I play with: I will be abusing this
card,
> > oh yes I will. You have been warned.
>
> Wes, you'd really kill your Golden Retriever that way?
>
> Even if you wouldn't, you should announce the card
> that way. "I'll murder a middle-class family's beloved
> pet for +1 strength."
>
> --does that picture imply anything else?

Bestiality?

Yeah. Its a rather heart warming card, until you see what happens in
the next frame. "aww... how sweet. Dogs are a kindred's best frie... oh
gawd! The horror!"

Colin McGuigan a écrit :
> LSJ wrote:
>
>>> Howler, with retained Owl Companion, gets into combat with Fatima.
>>> Fatima shoots Owl Companion with a really big gun. Can Howler play
>>> Pack Alpha at [ANI] after strike is declared but before Fatima's
>>> strike resolves to burn Owl Companion and still gain the permanent
>>> effect?
>>>
>>> Seems similar enough to Wolf Claws et al, so I am guessing the answer
>>> is 'Yes'. Traditionally, that means the answer is a resounding 'No'.
>>

>> Yes.
>

> If Howler had declared a strike of hands, would that strike resolve with
> the extra +1 strength from the Pack Alpha?
>
> (Ie, is the strike damage set at declaration or resolution?)

No.
See Body Arsenal ;)

"Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net> wrote in message

> P.S. Confidential to those who I play with: I will be abusing this card,
> oh yes I will. You have been warned.

Wes, you'd really kill your Golden Retriever that way?

Even if you wouldn't, you should announce the card
that way. "I'll murder a middle-class family's beloved
pet for +1 strength."

--does that picture imply anything else?
heslin

> Even if you wouldn't, you should announce the card
> that way. "I'll murder a middle-class family's beloved
> pet for +1 strength."

Totally.

[ani] I pull a puppy out of my pants.
[ANI] I eat a puppy.

"Gregory Stuart Pettigrew" <etherial@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> wrote in
message news:20050225171116.D10270@sidehack.sat.gweep.net...
>> Even if you wouldn't, you should announce the card
>> that way. "I'll murder a middle-class family's beloved
>> pet for +1 strength."
>>

> Totally.
>
> [ani] I pull a puppy out of my pants.
> [ANI] I eat a puppy.

And the art work supports the inf version too!

Raille

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002

"Matthew Heslin" <heslin@sprynet.com> wrote

> Wes, you'd really kill your Golden Retriever that way?

A dog? Never! I love dogs.

> Even if you wouldn't, you should announce the card
> that way. "I'll murder a middle-class family's beloved
> pet for +1 strength."

Now cats, on the other hand... cats are as bourgeois as you can get.

Still, great card. The Ahrimanes just went up a notch IMHO.

Cheers,
WES

Wes wrote:
> As for the others, not exactly diverse in terms of what they do, sure. But
> being able to intercept, read your opponent's hand and do enviro-damage is
> all good in my books.

Yeah, but what do you do to avoid going to torpor yourself? I mean,
they're all great, but none of them help you avoid getting the snot beat
out of you.

And the more "keep my snot intact" cards you throw in, the less chance
you have of having the Pack Alpha+retainer combo in hand. Look at
concealed guns -- you have what, 18 cards (at least) devoted to that
combo, and that's not throwing in flash, pursuit, psyche!, etc. And
guns give you a free manuever.

The way I'm thinking is, you throw in, say, 15 masters, 20 prevent
cards, 20 wake cards, and then say 20 pack alphas and 25 retainers.

--Colin McGuigan

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002

"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote

> Yeah, but what do you do to avoid going to torpor yourself? I mean,
> they're all great, but none of them help you avoid getting the snot beat
> out of you.

Stay at long, or at close, whatever you need to stay alive. I think the
Ahrimanes (well, Howler) are pretty good at establishing a comfortable
distance for themselves. Swiftness of the Stag is a powerful card.

I've also added liberal doses of Guardian Angel and Leather Jacket to my
Ahrimanes decks.

> The way I'm thinking is, you throw in, say, 15 masters, 20 prevent cards,
> 20 wake cards, and then say 20 pack alphas and 25 retainers.

I don't think that many are needed.

Howler will get in combat -- we know this. So you use that opportunity to
play a retainer here and there, even if that retainer is not useful to said
combat, like Raven Spy. It basically saves you a hiring action, which is the
equivalent of Freak Drive when the cards flow right.

If anything, the problem I have had with Ahrimanes decks is not dealing with
other combat decks... but instead with *too many actions* (And PTO of
course.)

Of course, this is a new card and I have not used it yet, so don't hold me
to this jibba-jabba.

Cheers,
WES

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:32:57 -0500, "Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net>
scrawled:

>"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote

>> The way I'm thinking is, you throw in, say, 15 masters, 20 prevent cards,
>> 20 wake cards, and then say 20 pack alphas and 25 retainers.
>
>I don't think that many are needed.

agreed. i prefer to keep my decks to 90 cards or less, myself. :)

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

salem wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:32:57 -0500, "Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net>
> scrawled:
>

>>"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote
>

>>>The way I'm thinking is, you throw in, say, 15 masters, 20 prevent cards,
>>>20 wake cards, and then say 20 pack alphas and 25 retainers.
>>
>>I don't think that many are needed.
>

> agreed. i prefer to keep my decks to 90 cards or less, myself. :)

I was...uh...referring to a 6 player game, of course.

--Colin McGuigan

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:26:26 -0600, Colin McGuigan
<maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> scrawled:

>salem wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:32:57 -0500, "Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net>
>> scrawled:
>>

>>>"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote

>>>I don't think that many are needed.
>>

>> agreed. i prefer to keep my decks to 90 cards or less, myself. :)
>
>I was...uh...referring to a 6 player game, of course.

in that case, i'd consider upping the master count a little. :)

salem
there's no esaping my facetiousness.

TRENDING THREADS