Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
core 364.50
Ram 337.50(675 effective)

Not too shabby, may set a casefan blowing on it when I finally get the barton for a bit more.

on the old system with conservative oc;s I get

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6061875

not too shabby, I expect the new system will kick me to around 15k or so, perhaps.

any comments, thoughts? Are these scores where I should be with a 1.7ghz athlon@140fsb on a kg7raid?

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I'm curious 1. what tool did you use to OC ( I just got a 9700 pro yesterday) 2. have you tried 3dmark 2003 ?? what scores did you get ( I ran it with defaults, stock clocks on all, on a soyo p4s ultra p4 2.0(a) 512 kingmax ddr333 no raid ..)got about 4400 3dmark2003 marks

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Holy Polly! Matisaro! It´s been awhile, huh?

Not a bad OC. I can´t beleive some people manage to get 440 on the core and the likes.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Ghost look at the hall of fame.

Some OCs at 500+ core, and high 300s (380+) on the mem.

Some warm cards out there. Watch your water levels.

Anywhoo, yes nice touch Matisaro.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

eden

Champion
You have a nice overclock, though I can't help but feel the score is a bit on the low side. I could be wrong though, so I'll have to dig up some XP2200+ (closest comparison, assuming the extra 100MHZ of the XP2200 can account for the extra FSB performance on your overclocked CPU at 1.7GHZ)

UPDATE: After looking at the XP2200 scores, 13162FPS, seems you could do better, especially if it is with the overclocked R9700 PRO.
Now we can also assume you have an old chipset, and the nForce 2 does add up. I still think that you might have some drivers that aren't up to date, which could provide you with some boosts.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

eden

Champion
Additionally, you should do th 3dMark03 test, since it barely is CPU dependant, enough for you to provide a score comparable to other R9700PRO cards.
I don't think 3dMark2001SE's score is that much representative in the first place, given it is so sensitive to CPU performance, whereas DX8 is supposed to help alleviate CPU strain by laying it on the GPU.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I am using radlinker., on 3dmark2003 I pulled 4700 but the damn uploader didnt save my results, and I dont feel like sitting through the benchmark again.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
UPDATE: After looking at the XP2200 scores, 13162FPS, seems you could do better, especially if it is with the overclocked R9700 PRO.
Now we can also assume you have an old chipset, and the nForce 2 does add up. I still think that you might have some drivers that aren't up to date, which could provide you with some boosts.

I would not be surprised if the nforce2 jump addes 1500+ points to the 3dmark2001 scores, check the latest article to see how much it improves over the kg7 raid(aging)

eden

Champion
If you got 4700 points, your system is more than powerful. Lars' results seem to be on a 3.06GHZ and he got 4700 pts.
Can you check stock clock points?
I assume 4400, which is more than good, and is definitly the sweet spot for any R9700 PRO.

--

Makaveli

Splendid
not a bad score.
With my Radeon running @ stock I get
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5855983" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5855983</A>
8X AGP and Fast writes enabled

My rig
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172</A>

Planning on putting in a XP2700+ maybe this weekend.

Should do around 15k also.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok people, wish me luck, im begining the upgrade.... may fate have mercy on my soul.

Specs of new system.

chaintech nforce2 super dee douper mobo(with the kickass temp monitor bay w00t)
1gig(2x512) of pc3000 kingston hyperx(cl2)
Radeon9700pro no hardware mods(retail hsf)
Barton2500+ with a alphapal8045 for max air oc w00t!
2x120 western digital special edition 8 meg cache drives
plexwriter 24x cdr
toshiba dvdrom
santacruz turtle beach audio
Misc additional nics etc(3 total).

Wish me luck!

eden

Champion
Ahhh ze moment of truth!
I can't wait to see what you're gonna get Mat!
Go post results ASAP on the CPU forum, they've missed ya! :wink:

--

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok, the barton is assembled and stable, the fsb I got on the nforce2 mobo was 193(mem@2,2,2,6)(iirc, the memory may have been dropped to 2/3/3/7 for stability).

The barton was a minor dissapointment soley due to my heatsink mishap, heres the long story.

I got the chaintech mobo for the mounting holes for my leet alphapal8045 monster, however the holes are too small!, the alphapal has washers which sit on top of the holes and have a plastic part which is supposed to sink in(to the hole) where the mounting spacer goes, however, due to the too small holes, these washers sit on top of the hole(raising the whole assembly about 1/2 cm).

To sum it up, the missing 1/2 cm is causing the tension springs on the hsf to be a tad underpressured, which is impairing my hsfs job!

The result? 2.121 ghz at time of posting, at 1.675 volts, the highest stable clock I could get was 2.21, but that was at a lower memsetting for the higher multi!

The thing posts and nearly makes it to windows at 2.4ghz@1.85 volts) BUT THE HEAT LOCKS UP SOON AFTER!

I am going to buy a watercooler tomorow and sell the alphapal, I know I could hit 2.4ghz, I can feel it.

That having been said, 2.121 ghz is nothing to sneeze at, on a 193fsb.

I have a ton of benchmark screenshots, but havent hosted them yet, I will, dont fret!

I do have 3dmark compare links to whet your appetite.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1170082" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1170082</A>

Pcmark2002, cpu=6624,mem=6369,hdd1164
I never used 3dmark2002, are those any good?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6144360" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6144360</A>

3dmark2001, 17060, NICE, happy score, yay!(ps, same gpu on the old system(axp1700@2100+ kg7-raid 512 megs ddr) was ~12000, nice 5k increase)

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=422276" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=422276</A>

3dmark2003, went to 5314, up from around ~4500 on the old system, again unsure if thats any good or not.

More benchmarks as I host them.

Matisaro

eden

Champion
Mat, getting 5300 out of a similarly clocked XP3000+ Barton, when the latter gets about 4700 points, is something rather surprising.
I don't know if your settings are "light", but you are getting both 01 and 03 insane scores!

What are your temps man?
And why didn't you just change multipliers and leave the FSB alone? It's a better thing so you ensure more headroom, and the nForce 2 allows you normally.

--

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Eden, im running best performance in the cat drivers(for benching only), I also am 30fsb points ahead of the 3000+, plus my video is oced, the 3dmark2003 compare link shows all my settings.

The temps are [-peep-] weird, the chaintech board reads from the thermistor and its saying 57C, which is higher than I expected, and it dosent lock till around 65C(ill get used to the higher temps eventually, but I miss my 38C idle :-(

As for the multi, my chips top speed (with my current flawwed cooling) is 2.21ghz(semistable), which is 185*12, If I go any higher than that it heatlocks, I would rather have 16mhz fsb(ddr) and faster ram at 2.12ghz (193*11), when I try 193*11.5 I get random rare failures in prime95(unacceptable).

I am gonna order watercooling today, should I go with a peltier or just go vanilla water.

Inquiring minds want to know,

Matisaro.

PS: are my scores really that great>? I know the 2001 is, but im new to the others, what does a standard barton3000+ get? A p4 ht 3ghz?

Makaveli

Splendid
not bad matisaro. it seems I was right about the Barton XP2500 plus on air. Seems to top out around 2.1 ghz. I'm glad I went for the XP2700+. One thing I found rather strange. not sure if it was a new bios on my mainboard or the ATI drivers. before If I overclocked pass like 337/337 I would get artifacts in 3dmarks 2001. Now running the 1002 bios and Catalyst 3.1 drivers on my A7n8x I can do 351/351 on my radeon and its stable no artifacts.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I would disagree on the barton, my 2.1ghz limit is due to my mismounted hsf, it posts to windows at 2.4ghz but overheats, the barton has just as much legroom as the tbred imo, and overclocking database website preliminaries are tending to agree, and any lost overhead is more than made up by the extra cache!

eden

Champion
Your temps are truly high. Hopefully it's just because of the HSF pressure. I know for one that Barton CPUs, along with Tbreds, run extremly cool, on the sides of 35ºC. It couldn't be a "rare bad" sample, yours.

The CPU affects very little just so you know, in 3dMark 03, VERY LITTLE. Such a 500 point jump is definitly not by a mere FSB boost. Hell, even 3dMark 01's sensitivity would not be this huge for FSB bumps. I think THG's highest scores for the 3.06GHZ are usually like 16000, but 17000 for the XP3000+ is very powerful. I guess it could be the settings you used, such as lower image quality and such. Of course if they are merely making a difference in quality, then why not use them, heh.

I am sure with a proper HSF (you really don't need watercooling IMO, the Tbreds OC very high without it. A WC result would be 2.5GHZ at most, which is about 200MHZ more than an air-cooled OC!) like the Volcano 7+ (Metal Rocker in the CPU forums has a Tbred B at 2.1GHZ or so, from 1.47GHZ, and believe me, his temps are abnormally low, on the scales of 31ºC LOAD, how's that for "AMDs are hotter than Intels".)
Additionally, with a 1700+ Tbred B, we can finally break FatBurger's challenge apart, now that 60% OCs are very easy with these CPUs. Most people with the 1.47GHZ Tbred B get them to 2.3GHZ!

--

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Your temps are truly high. Hopefully it's just because of the HSF pressure. I know for one that Barton CPUs, along with Tbreds, run extremly cool, on the sides of 35ºC. It couldn't be a "rare bad" sample, yours.

No high temp, its actually the chaintech mobo, the nforcehq chaintech forums are chock full of people complaining about high temp readings, some are running stable at 89c!

I dont think the cpu is that hot.

The CPU affects very little just so you know, in 3dMark 03, VERY LITTLE. Such a 500 point jump is definitly not by a mere FSB boost. Hell, even 3dMark 01's sensitivity would not be this huge for FSB bumps. I think THG's highest scores for the 3.06GHZ are usually like 16000, but 17000 for the XP3000+ is very powerful. I guess it could be the settings you used, such as lower image quality and such. Of course if they are merely making a difference in quality, then why not use them, heh.

I jumped almost a thousand points by just a cpu mobo upgrade remember my system is faster than a 3ghz ht p4, its clocked near the barton 3000+ with a 193fsb much faster according to sandra. The only settings I used were sliding the cat 3.1 bar to best performance, isnt that how your supposed to benchmark?

I am sure with a proper HSF (you really don't need watercooling IMO, the Tbreds OC very high without it. A WC result would be 2.5GHZ at most, which is about 200MHZ more than an air-cooled OC!)

I am actually still debating the watercooler, but I did pick up a zalman zm80a-hp vga cooler yesterday, im putting it on the 9700 tonight and am gonna active cool it the heatpipe is very strange. If you hold it it gets warm, but if you touch the upper end to the heatsink(lying on the tables edge) it immediatly gets cold, very very neat.

more to come.

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i dono, i scored a 5400 on my OC'ed radeon with modded drivers (9800 driver mod) Then again, who knows @_@

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
from what i read, some people got 100pts up, some got 500, i guess it matters on the system, i got a 100 upgrade and 400pt up with overclocking (from he old overclock)

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey Mat, I haven't been here for a while, so I'm not sure what the story is behind all this. I'm glad you like the system. I've still got my P4 2.4B, but I got a R9700 non pro (actually Pro, ya know with the 2.86ns RAM). BIOS hacked to R9700 Pro and applied the R9700->R9800 driver hack.. I'm still at a measely 14K all stock.. Ah well. Looks like you've got a really nice system going on there.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...