Classic Kiss of Death

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I was just inspired by Twitch's link in the 'old 3d cards' thread to read some stuff from thg in 1997.In doing so i came upon this hilarious quote from a video card review:

"3Dfx is one of the few other computer hardware companies next to Intel, that doesn't have to worry about its future."
It's <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/19971130/quake-04.html" target="_new">here</A>
I think you really signed their death warrant with that one, Tom. :wink:

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Lol! Back then, nVidia and ATI were barely even in the running. Remember 3D Virge? And wasn't Tom's talking about how untouchable nVidia was in an article about a year and a half ago? I'll have to find that.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG no, they made that kind of statement about nVidia? Another kiss of death? OMG, nVidia ran away from the market for 2 years when 3DFX went down, before any real competitor could face the challenge! If that happens again, who's next to fill in ATI's challenger position when ATI becomes champ?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
My money is on SiS!

Hey, their Xabre cards are crap, but ATI started off way behind too. And really, who else is there? Matrox? Lol!

<-----Insert witty sig line here.