Would someone buy a GF-FX for an investment

Wolfie

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Would any body buy a GF-FX cause there will be limited numbers and they could go up in value because of how much hype they had and it has so far turned out to be the biggest fizzer for a graphics card ever?

RobD

Champion
Novelty value maybe? Something to hand down to the kids? ("Now son, this was back in the days when some dumbass produce the worlds shittest vid card. Funny, ain't it?")

The fanboys will buy it though. Even though Nvidia seems to have strayed off the path so much they need a map to find there way back to salvation (a long journey given their current position!).

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
Not I... I may be switching to matrox...

I value my sleep, and no way I can sleep with that noise in my house...

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

RobD

Champion
Don't forget it's sauna-like heat the room qualities!

Save the money up for an FX by disconnecting your central heating for 6 months! Then when you're cold, plug in the FX and....instant heat!

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
hmm, interesting idea...

But my Athlon does that already... and if I really wanted a heater, I'd get myself a quad alpha system (hmmm, well, I'd new a few $k to spend on that one)...

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
true, but it would certainly have good performace...

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't think the return on your investment would be very good. Do you really think people will buy the card down the road for more than you bought it?

The gainward 5800 Ultra will sell for $650 for example and it will probably be the most prized FX card to have.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

Hey wanna buy an Apple Lisa?
Now to pro rate the investment value I will have to sell it to you at about $10,000. Still interested?
As an investment, computer hardware makes a bad one. Even something as rare as the Lisa that sits next to my PCJr. My dad worked for IBM and I have a cottage full of the old computers he gave me as 'new things to test' for him. I love the fact that I have them, but my timex sinclair and my original two-floppy (no HD) pc aren't worth the price they originally were, despite their relative rarity.
The other thing is that the FX chip will not go away (just popped into another board), and no one will be nestalgic for the FX the way they are for the Amiga, or NEXT boxes. The FX is poor technology, those items were the BEST for the people who knew how to use them, and even they, just smile at your lost 'treasure' and then move on with their lives.

I will stress again, Computer STOCKS make better investments than computer parts, and even then you may lose your shirt.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK