So, I want to stop using ELDB, but I'm lazy.

TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

--Colin McGuigan
31 answers Last reply
More about stop eldb lazy

    Colin McGuigan wrote:
    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know,
    still
    > supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that
    have
    > been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
    >
    > --Colin McGuigan

    Fragment of ELDB. Check various threads for download location. If
    you're used to ELDB, this will be very comfortable for you.

    Eric Simon
    Prince of Chicago

    You can access the Anarch Deck Builder here:
    http://www.nongnu.org/anarchdb/

    You can access the Fragment here:
    http://web.interware.hu/bala0/feldb.htm

    I personally prefer Anarch... but... it just suits my needs better...
    Fragment is good as well.

    <volya42@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Colin McGuigan wrote:
    >> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know,
    > still
    >> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that
    > have
    >> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
    >>
    >> --Colin McGuigan
    >
    > Fragment of ELDB. Check various threads for download location. If
    > you're used to ELDB, this will be very comfortable for you.
    >
    > Eric Simon
    > Prince of Chicago

    Me, too.

    Also tried Vamp (powerful but idiosyncratic filtering, slow, requires
    download of Javascript stuff) & ARDB (only serious downside is that the deck
    editor opens another window) as well, but FELDB seems best for the moment.

    I particularly like the shading feature of FELDB. (When you click on a
    column to sort, it shades the entries based on changes in that column. I.e.,
    sort by group, and g1 is highlighted, g2 highlighted, etc. Nice visual
    display of the number of vamps in each grouping.)

    Thanks to all the authors for their efforts, btw. :)

    - Pat

    If you like ELDB, you'll love FELDB. Same look and feel, but up to date
    and with more features. You can open your old .eld files and see a
    whole new set of stats.

    John.

    Orpheus: Please update your FELDB. :) (only overwrite the executable
    and database (vamp.db))
    Current version: 2.1.0 ( http://web.interware.hu/bala0/FELDB.zip )

    > Any idea why ?
    Check "ELDB Database - Followers of Set" topic.

    Everybody: Thank You! I'm very happy to so many users choose the FELDB.

    Quick comment... Vamp is a Java application. Java has nothing to do
    with JavaScript. I haven't found it to be slow; the oldest platform I
    use is an early P3 linux machine.

    "Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
    > supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
    > been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

    I use Anarch Revolt Deck Builder
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Colin McGuigan" wrote..

    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
    > supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
    > been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

    I'm in the same situation really, lost most of my deck files to a HD crash a
    while back so ideal time. Only thing I dislike about ARDB so far is no print
    option other than save and print from text file. Blurg. An odd thing to
    omit?

    Rob
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Thank you Fabio, this is a really correct comparing between ARDB and
    FELDB.

    >I use Anarch Revolt. The multi-filtering features are unmatched by any
    >other program I've ever used, FELDB included.

    In the FELDB you can use the multifiltering (over version 2.0.0). Just
    use in the Filter window the "Filter the Filtered..." checkbox. And
    you can reload the previous filter with using the Prev button in Crypt
    and Library Tab. (like ARDB).
    (Maybe I missunderstand you...)
    I know, there arn't switches to turn on/off the filter criteries. If
    some users want this feature, I will programming it. But I havn't ever
    needed this feature what ARDB knows. I see many user use this, but what
    FELDB knows is enough, I think. Maybe I've wrong.

    >It is also a little more
    >intuitive when you want to add cards from crypt/library searches to
    >the deck building window (FELDB does not support selecting multiple
    >vampires and left-clicking "add to deck";

    Correct :). Only one cards right-click "add-to-deck" or press Enter to
    "add-to-deck" feautre is available. (next version this feature willl be
    there :D)

    There are some useful fetures what none of other programs know:
    - FIlter by Artists
    - Show Flavor Text
    - Set the default save directory
    - In the Deck window you can see the filtered and all cards too
    - Highlighting
    - Many statistic
    - (and you wrote some others)

    You have right:
    " Anyone who has this issues should consider this when choosing one of
    these programs. "
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Oh, I've forgotten something :D

    If you assign In your windows the ELD file extension to the
    Vampire.exe, the FELDB automaticly load the deck if you run your
    selected ELD file (doubleclick).

    Other:
    Francois don't like printing, I don't like XML. :D
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the
    > announcements that have been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

    I'm hanging on to ELDB desperately, hoping for fixes to its current
    shortcomings to magically appear on the horizon.

    What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)
    Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
    issues?

    Fred
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >I'm hanging on to ELDB desperately, hoping for fixes to its current
    >shortcomings to magically appear on the horizon.
    >What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)
    >Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
    >issues?

    I don't understand you. :) That is the reason why I started
    programming FELDB!!!
    When David Avila stoped programming the ELDB, I've needed the new
    database and a new program what knows the new features.

    This is the birth of FELDB.

    In the first times the FELDB really was a "fragment". This times is
    "HIGH HIGH featured ELDB". :)

    Why you are need ELDB? What knows what FELDB don't?
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    JEH a écrit :
    > If you like ELDB, you'll love FELDB. Same look and feel, but up to date
    > and with more features. You can open your old .eld files and see a
    > whole new set of stats.
    >
    > John.

    Yes, but when I use the filter for G4 FoS, many don't appear. Any idea why ?

    Orpheus
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
    > supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
    > been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
    >
    > --Colin McGuigan

    I use the Anarch Revolt Database (ARDB).
    http://www.nongnu.org/anarchdb/

    --
    Colin "Eryx" Goodman
    Samedi Primogen

    "Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
    > supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
    > been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
    >
    > --Colin McGuigan

    Hi Colin,

    I have used the ELDB for a long time myself. I didn't want to switch because
    it offered to possibility to keep track of my inventory. But with the
    addition of new sets, a new group, a new card type and now a new clan this
    process became more and more difficult.

    Because of the inventory FELDB is the only alternative for me. The ARDB is a
    nifty tool as well, but it lacks the inventory function I need.

    regards

    pallando

    --
    pallando(at)gmx(dot)at
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
    >> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
    >> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
    >> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
    >> --Colin McGuigan

    I use Anarch Revolt. The multi-filtering features are unmatched by any
    other program I've ever used, FELDB included. It is also a little more
    intuitive when you want to add cards from crypt/library searches to
    the deck building window (FELDB does not support selecting multiple
    vampires and left-clicking "add to deck"; you'll have to do this one
    by one, while ARDB does add all selected vampires at once). as a
    compensation, FELDB's deckbuilder displays the results of a crypt
    search in the deck builder pane if you need to check something.

    It is also the only program to include KMW's new terms on its search
    options; terms like Government, Red List etc. It also includes some
    old terms that are more commonly used now, like Gun, Animal, Mortal,
    Trifle etc. To boost, you can filter by expansion and rarity. I like
    that. Ah, and you can save search criteria, like "groups 3 and 4
    Giovanni with [for]" and load it later.

    As soon as FELDB emulates some features ARDB already has, like
    multi-filtering (not only filters-within-filters; ARDB allows you to
    cascade them and turn each one on/off as needed), I'm certain I will
    move to it wholeheartedly. As they stand now, I'm using FELDB for a
    while until ARDB is fixed to the new .CSV file. Note that I don't have
    the need to import anything I previously had when using ELDB, since I
    never did any inventory and don't keep track of old decklistings.
    Anyone who has this issues should consider this when choosing one of
    these programs.

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Rob Treasure wrote:
    > Only thing I dislike about ARDB so far is no print option other than
    > save and print from text file. Blurg. An odd thing to omit?

    Printing wastes paper. Printing uses ink which is sold for $8,000 a
    gallon. I'm a anti-printer zealot.

    --
    Francois
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:08:46 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
    <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

    >I'm hanging on to ELDB desperately, hoping for fixes to its current
    >shortcomings to magically appear on the horizon.

    >What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)

    Slim to none.

    >Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
    >issues?

    There have always been an abundance of volunteers.

    The primary issue is the creator has not been willing to relinquish
    the source code to any of the volunteers that have come forward, even
    ones in his former playgroup. The last time he played, he added quite
    a few features, but he hasn't been around the game or the players in
    quite some time. He had serious objections to the grouping rules, and
    has not played seriously since the Camarilla Edition playtest.

    Carpe noctem.

    Lasombra

    http://www.TheLasombra.com
    Your best online source for information about V:TES.
    Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
    of booster and starter box displays.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "The Lasombra" <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:08:46 -0700, "Frederick Scott" wrote:
    >>What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)
    >
    > Slim to none.
    >
    >>Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
    >>issues?
    >
    > There have always been an abundance of volunteers.
    >
    > The primary issue is the creator has not been willing to relinquish
    > the source code to any of the volunteers that have come forward, even
    > ones in his former playgroup. The last time he played, he added quite
    > a few features, but he hasn't been around the game or the players in
    > quite some time. He had serious objections to the grouping rules, and
    > has not played seriously since the Camarilla Edition playtest.

    Oh, man that's frustrating! It wouldn't even take much (in addition to
    the support you already give it now***) to put things back to rights:
    support for printing and searching events, support for groups numbers
    beyond three (including not having to worry to about new group numbers
    starting up in the future), support for Abominations which allows for
    other future new clans or bloodlines. Maybe one or two other things I
    can't think of at the moment. I actually don't *want* lots of new
    features.

    (*** - thanks for that, by the way)

    Fred
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 1 Mar 2005 10:35:01 -0800, Bala <bala@coder.hu> wrote of FELDB:
    > There are some useful fetures what none of other programs know:
    > - FIlter by Artists
    > - Show Flavor Text
    > - Set the default save directory
    > - In the Deck window you can see the filtered and all cards too
    > - Highlighting
    > - Many statistic
    > - (and you wrote some others)

    There is one feature in ARDB that I would like to see in FELDB.
    The ability to update the card database yourself from WW's csv
    files. If that feature would be incorporated into FELDB it would
    finally be on a level of it's own.

    --
    Powerbase: Turku
    http://www.tenerdo.org/

    On 1 Mar 2005 05:39:20 -0800, "K Maxson" <krmaxson@gmail.com>
    scrawled:

    >Quick comment... Vamp is a Java application. Java has nothing to do
    >with JavaScript. I haven't found it to be slow; the oldest platform I
    >use is an early P3 linux machine.

    i found vamp (at least the earlier version i was using) was a bit slow
    to load, but fine once running.

    it's a good option for non-windows users due to the cross-platform
    nature of java.

    currently i use ARDB, though.

    salem
    http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
    (replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Colin McGuigan wrote:
    > TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know,
    still
    > supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that
    have
    > been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

    FELDB. Works great for me.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Not to knock ARDB, but it certainly isn't the only program to include
    KMW's new terms (or built-in searches for animals, or increased
    bleeders, or whatever), or to let you save searches, nor would I say
    that it has the most powerful multi-filtering features (Vamp can
    perform any number of arbitrary positive and negative regexps in
    addition to all of the built-in filtering options). Its interface is
    certainly a lot more like ELDB's than Vamp's, which will be a plus for
    some people -- clearly I felt differently, though :-)

    Again, I think ARDB is a nice program. However, I'm not aware of
    anything it can do that Vamp can't... You can also pop up multiple
    nonmodal dialogs in Vamp full of differently filtered card sets and
    drag-and-drop between them, directly print out deck listings using all
    of the VTES icons, look at pictures for many of the cards, have it
    automatically load the most recent card text from White Wolf's web site
    (only recommended if you have broadband), override card text with your
    own errata to existing cards and your own new cards if you want
    (without changing the underlying White Wolf data), and even have the
    interface display in Spanish if it helps.

    Of course, Vamp does eat up a fair amount of screen real-estate...
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    I spoke 2 Hungaian guys whos using ARDB instead of FELDB (like any
    other hungarian do :) ). I've asked they what makes ARDB so special.
    (I've never know what is the special in ARDB. :) ) They said me the
    reason is the powerful multi-filtering.
    I asked for some example. One of them wrote me step-to-step what he
    made in the ARDB to get some vampires (tzimisce aus+ani blocker).

    I understand that, ARDB has a really special powerful filter, but I
    have a question: WHY?

    If I'd like create a new deck in ELDB, I create a filter to get 20-30
    vampire and I choose myself 12 vampires to put it to myself to my deck.
    I know in ARDB I can create a VERY special filter to get ONLY that
    vampires what I would put into my deck.
    The time that spend it to create a very-very-very special filter, this
    time I put it myself to my deck. :P

    Please someone give me the answer what can I do in ARDB what I can't in
    FELDB.
    (the goal IS to create my deck)

    I want to understand the ARDB users why choose ARDB. :)
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    (my English isn't enough good to write my thinks and my reasons :/ )
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Bala" <bala@coder.hu> wrote in message
    >I spoke 2 Hungaian guys whos using ARDB instead of FELDB (like any
    > other hungarian do :) ). I've asked they what makes ARDB so special.
    > (I've never know what is the special in ARDB. :) ) They said me the
    > reason is the powerful multi-filtering.
    > I asked for some example. One of them wrote me step-to-step what he
    > made in the ARDB to get some vampires (tzimisce aus+ani blocker).
    >
    > I understand that, ARDB has a really special powerful filter, but I
    > have a question: WHY?
    >
    > If I'd like create a new deck in ELDB, I create a filter to get 20-30
    > vampire and I choose myself 12 vampires to put it to myself to my deck.
    > I know in ARDB I can create a VERY special filter to get ONLY that
    > vampires what I would put into my deck.
    > The time that spend it to create a very-very-very special filter, this
    > time I put it myself to my deck. :P
    >
    > Please someone give me the answer what can I do in ARDB what I can't in
    > FELDB.
    > (the goal IS to create my deck)
    >
    > I want to understand the ARDB users why choose ARDB. :)

    The multifiltering is pretty good, especially when you are putting together
    a deck with 3-4 disciplines but you don't want every vampire to have every
    discipline.

    --
    Comments Welcome,
    Norman S. Brown, Jr

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:28:25 -0600, XZealot <x_zealot@brucefoodsla.com>
    wrote:

    > The multifiltering is pretty good, especially when you are putting
    > together
    > a deck with 3-4 disciplines but you don't want every vampire to have
    > every
    > discipline.

    There's probably a more general question hidden in there - how do you
    use your deck builder software?

    The reason I stick to ARDB is the multifiltering. It allows me to
    select, add and remove crypt cards based on various criteria. I
    like to be able to see all (or most) of my crypt together in the
    filter, so I can organize and expand/restrict the results.

    In fact, I wasn't using any sort of program until I encountered the
    multifilter options of ARDB - I just paged through my folders and
    picked my vampires. (The layout change was a significant factor too,
    as I could no longer slide crypt cards on top of one another with
    both capacity and disciplines showing.) So multifiltering is
    essential for me because it can handle complex filtering criteria
    that come up during the filtering (like, ouch, I still have 15
    dudes left, maybe I'll remove vampires greater than 5 who don't
    have a superior of XXX, etc.).

    So I guess the question might be - what's a good deck builder, and
    what features people like in them? For me it's either multifiltering
    or no way, but I'm not sure it's the same way for everyone.

    But since I've read many posts on who prefers what program, I would
    kind of be interested in hearing what features in general each
    player prefers?

    --
    Bye,

    Daneel
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 5 Mar 2005 00:02:31 -0800, "Bala" <bala@coder.hu> wrote:

    >Please someone give me the answer what can I do in ARDB what I can't in
    >FELDB.
    >(the goal IS to create my deck)
    >I want to understand the ARDB users why choose ARDB. :)

    Well, as I said before, I use it because
    - I don't need inventory management
    - I use it not only to build decks, but for a handful of other reasons
    (like searching for what any given card really does), so the
    multi-filtering is necessary for me (and no matter how cool Vamp is,
    it needs Java installing/updating and is the most processor-consuming
    of all programs I've tested)
    - I need quick access to any given card's full text to copy+paste on
    mails (FELDB requires me to do thisat least twice for any given card,
    one for the title/requirements, other for the actual text. Granted,
    it's better than old ELDB where you couldn't copy+paste on the bottom
    view pane at all, but ARDB shows the complete card text, title,
    requirement and even rarity in a single pane where I can copy paste
    everything at once).
    - I prefer a program where I can update the database directly from the
    "true sorce" - WW's website.

    That's my main reasons. But I still use FELDB for another number of
    reasons, from expansion and rarity searches to filter saving.

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    >- I need quick access to any given card's full text to copy+paste on
    >mails (FELDB requires me to do thisat least twice for any given card,

    Did you try ctrl+c on the grid? ;-)
    Just select the full row or the needed columns and ctrl+c.
    And you can save your selected/filtere items to txt or csv. ;)

    That's better than everything.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 9 Mar 2005 04:43:51 -0800, "Bala" <bala@coder.hu> wrote:

    >>- I need quick access to any given card's full text to copy+paste on
    >>mails (FELDB requires me to do thisat least twice for any given card,
    >
    >Did you try ctrl+c on the grid? ;-)
    >Just select the full row or the needed columns and ctrl+c.
    >And you can save your selected/filtere items to txt or csv. ;)
    >That's better than everything.

    Hm, certainly it's better when you want the data in a single file or
    to feed a csv. But normally I need the text to illustrate something to
    other players in mailing lists, so getting full data already formatted
    (like ARDB provides) is what I personally need.

    Don't get me wrong - as I said before, I'm using both programs, and
    see no reason to stick with just one now. I'm pointing out the
    situations where I double-click ARDB instead of FELDB because I'd like
    to use only one program, and the only way to see this coming is to
    point out what I use in one and not in the other. For now, both seem
    to be better than the other depending on the situation, at least for
    me.

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    I have to learn more English. :/

Games Video Games