So, I want to stop using ELDB, but I'm lazy.

TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

--Colin McGuigan

Colin McGuigan wrote:
> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know,
still
> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that
have
> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
>
> --Colin McGuigan

Fragment of ELDB. Check various threads for download location. If
you're used to ELDB, this will be very comfortable for you.

Eric Simon
Prince of Chicago

You can access the Anarch Deck Builder here:
http://www.nongnu.org/anarchdb/

You can access the Fragment here:
http://web.interware.hu/bala0/feldb.htm

I personally prefer Anarch... but... it just suits my needs better...
Fragment is good as well.

pat

Expert

<volya42@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Colin McGuigan wrote:
>> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know,
> still
>> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that
> have
>> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
>>
>> --Colin McGuigan
>
> Fragment of ELDB. Check various threads for download location. If
> you're used to ELDB, this will be very comfortable for you.
>
> Eric Simon
> Prince of Chicago

Me, too.

Also tried Vamp (powerful but idiosyncratic filtering, slow, requires
download of Javascript stuff) & ARDB (only serious downside is that the deck
editor opens another window) as well, but FELDB seems best for the moment.

I particularly like the shading feature of FELDB. (When you click on a
column to sort, it shades the entries based on changes in that column. I.e.,
sort by group, and g1 is highlighted, g2 highlighted, etc. Nice visual
display of the number of vamps in each grouping.)

Thanks to all the authors for their efforts, btw. :)

- Pat

If you like ELDB, you'll love FELDB. Same look and feel, but up to date
and with more features. You can open your old .eld files and see a
whole new set of stats.

John.

Orpheus: Please update your FELDB. :) (only overwrite the executable
and database (vamp.db))
Current version: 2.1.0 ( http://web.interware.hu/bala0/FELDB.zip )

> Any idea why ?
Check "ELDB Database - Followers of Set" topic.

Everybody: Thank You! I'm very happy to so many users choose the FELDB.

Quick comment... Vamp is a Java application. Java has nothing to do
with JavaScript. I haven't found it to be slow; the oldest platform I
use is an early P3 linux machine.

"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

I use Anarch Revolt Deck Builder

"Colin McGuigan" wrote..

> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

I'm in the same situation really, lost most of my deck files to a HD crash a
while back so ideal time. Only thing I dislike about ARDB so far is no print
option other than save and print from text file. Blurg. An odd thing to
omit?

Rob

Thank you Fabio, this is a really correct comparing between ARDB and
FELDB.

>I use Anarch Revolt. The multi-filtering features are unmatched by any
>other program I've ever used, FELDB included.

In the FELDB you can use the multifiltering (over version 2.0.0). Just
use in the Filter window the "Filter the Filtered..." checkbox. And
you can reload the previous filter with using the Prev button in Crypt
and Library Tab. (like ARDB).
(Maybe I missunderstand you...)
I know, there arn't switches to turn on/off the filter criteries. If
some users want this feature, I will programming it. But I havn't ever
needed this feature what ARDB knows. I see many user use this, but what
FELDB knows is enough, I think. Maybe I've wrong.

>It is also a little more
>intuitive when you want to add cards from crypt/library searches to
>the deck building window (FELDB does not support selecting multiple
>vampires and left-clicking "add to deck";

Correct :). Only one cards right-click "add-to-deck" or press Enter to
"add-to-deck" feautre is available. (next version this feature willl be
there :D)

There are some useful fetures what none of other programs know:
- FIlter by Artists
- Show Flavor Text
- Set the default save directory
- In the Deck window you can see the filtered and all cards too
- Highlighting
- Many statistic
- (and you wrote some others)

You have right:
" Anyone who has this issues should consider this when choosing one of
these programs. "

Oh, I've forgotten something :D

If you assign In your windows the ELD file extension to the
Vampire.exe, the FELDB automaticly load the deck if you run your
selected ELD file (doubleclick).

Other:
Francois don't like printing, I don't like XML. :D

"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the
> announcements that have been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

I'm hanging on to ELDB desperately, hoping for fixes to its current
shortcomings to magically appear on the horizon.

What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)
Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
issues?

Fred

>I'm hanging on to ELDB desperately, hoping for fixes to its current
>shortcomings to magically appear on the horizon.
>What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)
>Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
>issues?

I don't understand you. :) That is the reason why I started
programming FELDB!!!
When David Avila stoped programming the ELDB, I've needed the new
database and a new program what knows the new features.

This is the birth of FELDB.

In the first times the FELDB really was a "fragment". This times is
"HIGH HIGH featured ELDB". :)

Why you are need ELDB? What knows what FELDB don't?

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

JEH a écrit :
> If you like ELDB, you'll love FELDB. Same look and feel, but up to date
> and with more features. You can open your old .eld files and see a
> whole new set of stats.
>
> John.

Yes, but when I use the filter for G4 FoS, many don't appear. Any idea why ?

Orpheus

"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
>
> --Colin McGuigan

I use the Anarch Revolt Database (ARDB).
http://www.nongnu.org/anarchdb/

--
Colin "Eryx" Goodman
Samedi Primogen

"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
>
> --Colin McGuigan

Hi Colin,

I have used the ELDB for a long time myself. I didn't want to switch because
it offered to possibility to keep track of my inventory. But with the
addition of new sets, a new group, a new card type and now a new clan this
process became more and more difficult.

Because of the inventory FELDB is the only alternative for me. The ARDB is a
nifty tool as well, but it lacks the inventory function I need.

regards

pallando

--
pallando(at)gmx(dot)at

>"Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message
>> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know, still
>> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that have
>> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?
>> --Colin McGuigan

I use Anarch Revolt. The multi-filtering features are unmatched by any
other program I've ever used, FELDB included. It is also a little more
intuitive when you want to add cards from crypt/library searches to
the deck building window (FELDB does not support selecting multiple
vampires and left-clicking "add to deck"; you'll have to do this one
by one, while ARDB does add all selected vampires at once). as a
compensation, FELDB's deckbuilder displays the results of a crypt
search in the deck builder pane if you need to check something.

It is also the only program to include KMW's new terms on its search
options; terms like Government, Red List etc. It also includes some
old terms that are more commonly used now, like Gun, Animal, Mortal,
Trifle etc. To boost, you can filter by expansion and rarity. I like
that. Ah, and you can save search criteria, like "groups 3 and 4
Giovanni with [for]" and load it later.

As soon as FELDB emulates some features ARDB already has, like
multi-filtering (not only filters-within-filters; ARDB allows you to
cascade them and turn each one on/off as needed), I'm certain I will
move to it wholeheartedly. As they stand now, I'm using FELDB for a
while until ARDB is fixed to the new .CSV file. Note that I don't have
the need to import anything I previously had when using ELDB, since I
never did any inventory and don't keep track of old decklistings.
Anyone who has this issues should consider this when choosing one of
these programs.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/

Rob Treasure wrote:
> Only thing I dislike about ARDB so far is no print option other than
> save and print from text file. Blurg. An odd thing to omit?

Printing wastes paper. Printing uses ink which is sold for $8,000 a
gallon. I'm a anti-printer zealot.

--
Francois

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:08:46 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
<nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

>I'm hanging on to ELDB desperately, hoping for fixes to its current
>shortcomings to magically appear on the horizon.

>What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)

Slim to none.

>Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
>issues?

There have always been an abundance of volunteers.

The primary issue is the creator has not been willing to relinquish
the source code to any of the volunteers that have come forward, even
ones in his former playgroup. The last time he played, he added quite
a few features, but he hasn't been around the game or the players in
quite some time. He had serious objections to the grouping rules, and
has not played seriously since the Camarilla Edition playtest.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com
Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.

"The Lasombra" <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:08:46 -0700, "Frederick Scott" wrote:
>>What are the prospects of new code being added to ELDB? (Jeff?)
>
> Slim to none.
>
>>Does it just need a programmer willing to help or are there other
>>issues?
>
> There have always been an abundance of volunteers.
>
> The primary issue is the creator has not been willing to relinquish
> the source code to any of the volunteers that have come forward, even
> ones in his former playgroup. The last time he played, he added quite
> a few features, but he hasn't been around the game or the players in
> quite some time. He had serious objections to the grouping rules, and
> has not played seriously since the Camarilla Edition playtest.

Oh, man that's frustrating! It wouldn't even take much (in addition to
the support you already give it now***) to put things back to rights:
support for printing and searching events, support for groups numbers
beyond three (including not having to worry to about new group numbers
starting up in the future), support for Abominations which allows for
other future new clans or bloodlines. Maybe one or two other things I
can't think of at the moment. I actually don't *want* lots of new
features.

(*** - thanks for that, by the way)

Fred

On 1 Mar 2005 10:35:01 -0800, Bala <bala@coder.hu> wrote of FELDB:
> There are some useful fetures what none of other programs know:
> - FIlter by Artists
> - Show Flavor Text
> - Set the default save directory
> - In the Deck window you can see the filtered and all cards too
> - Highlighting
> - Many statistic
> - (and you wrote some others)

There is one feature in ARDB that I would like to see in FELDB.
The ability to update the card database yourself from WW's csv
files. If that feature would be incorporated into FELDB it would
finally be on a level of it's own.

--
Powerbase: Turku
http://www.tenerdo.org/

On 1 Mar 2005 05:39:20 -0800, "K Maxson" <krmaxson@gmail.com>
scrawled:

>Quick comment... Vamp is a Java application. Java has nothing to do
>with JavaScript. I haven't found it to be slow; the oldest platform I
>use is an early P3 linux machine.

i found vamp (at least the earlier version i was using) was a bit slow
to load, but fine once running.

it's a good option for non-windows users due to the cross-platform
nature of java.

currently i use ARDB, though.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

Colin McGuigan wrote:
> TSIA, basically. I want to move on to a program that's, y'know,
still
> supported. But I'm too lazy to go through the announcements that
have
> been made to see what's out there. So what does everyone use?

FELDB. Works great for me.

Not to knock ARDB, but it certainly isn't the only program to include
KMW's new terms (or built-in searches for animals, or increased
bleeders, or whatever), or to let you save searches, nor would I say
that it has the most powerful multi-filtering features (Vamp can
perform any number of arbitrary positive and negative regexps in
addition to all of the built-in filtering options). Its interface is
certainly a lot more like ELDB's than Vamp's, which will be a plus for
some people -- clearly I felt differently, though :)

Again, I think ARDB is a nice program. However, I'm not aware of
anything it can do that Vamp can't... You can also pop up multiple
nonmodal dialogs in Vamp full of differently filtered card sets and
drag-and-drop between them, directly print out deck listings using all
of the VTES icons, look at pictures for many of the cards, have it
automatically load the most recent card text from White Wolf's web site
(only recommended if you have broadband), override card text with your
own errata to existing cards and your own new cards if you want
(without changing the underlying White Wolf data), and even have the
interface display in Spanish if it helps.

Of course, Vamp does eat up a fair amount of screen real-estate...

I spoke 2 Hungaian guys whos using ARDB instead of FELDB (like any
other hungarian do :) ). I've asked they what makes ARDB so special.
(I've never know what is the special in ARDB. :) ) They said me the
reason is the powerful multi-filtering.
I asked for some example. One of them wrote me step-to-step what he
made in the ARDB to get some vampires (tzimisce aus+ani blocker).

I understand that, ARDB has a really special powerful filter, but I
have a question: WHY?

If I'd like create a new deck in ELDB, I create a filter to get 20-30
vampire and I choose myself 12 vampires to put it to myself to my deck.
I know in ARDB I can create a VERY special filter to get ONLY that
vampires what I would put into my deck.
The time that spend it to create a very-very-very special filter, this
time I put it myself to my deck. :p

Please someone give me the answer what can I do in ARDB what I can't in
FELDB.
(the goal IS to create my deck)

I want to understand the ARDB users why choose ARDB. :)