secondary pci driver 9700pro

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
did a search for this and didnt see anything why does the radeon 9700 pro retail install a secondary vid card as a pci device .. ?? in win 98se or ... is my system retarded ???

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I had this problem when i went from a geforce 3 to the rad pro, make sure u uninstall all ati drivers or do a fresh install of windows like i did and it should work fine. Also later i encountered problems with the "secondary card" because of inadequate power supply. Hope this helps.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Btw you do know you'r suppost to get a second card detected dont you? lol just not pci. If its working properly it will say the same as the first (9700 or 9700/9500 series) but with secondary at the end :)

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
no I dont know that and that is why I am asking ... I can hardly see why I need to do a clean install of windows just for a vid card especially as the previous one was an ati 8500 retail version

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
What drivers do you have installed? You see the thing is the catalyst drivers should have installed the necessary driver for the secondary bit, if it didnt then its probably not functioning properly due to a psu problem or a driver compatibility problem (win 98 isnt too good with driver updates). You could try the following, right click my computer, select properties, then device manager, and double click on the secondary card, click update driver, put yer driver cd in, browse to the directory where the drivers are (win98 folder) and install it like that.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Also a thing to keep in mind, the secondary device mainly contains hardware for use with another monitor, so if you just plan on using the one monitor you should be ok but its a good idea to have the drivers installed.