Totalcon NER Qualifier Quickie Results!

So I just got back from the NER Qualifier at Totalcon, and boy, are my arms
tired. So anyway, the Qualifier had about 35 players, and Robyn Tatu won
with some sort of deck I never saw. The final round timed out with no one
ousted, so Robyn won by virtue of being first place going in. Hurrah for
Robyn!

The Friday night Crocodile's Tounge 2R/F Constructed event was won by (I
think) Matt Morgan using, well, some deck that I never saw. Man. I'm just a
font of useless information.

On my own front, in the Qualifer, I was playing a POT/dom weenie rush deck,
and got totally meta-tooled by virtue of like every other deck in the
tournament having crazy combat in it. I got 1 VP, total getting maimed by 2
different Euro-Brujah CEL/POT/DOM decks with Torn Signpost/Blur tech, and
totally and ironically stopped dead by Jay's !Nosferatu deck with Carrion
Crows and Aid from Bats. The one game I didn't run into significant combat,
I was killed by Ethan's last hurrah Anson/Anarch Revolt deck, and as much as
I'd like to blame Josh for me being tooled in that game, he really didn't do
anything but get mangled by me for accidentally being my prey.

In the Crocodile's Tounge tournament, I was playing a The Rose/Creamy Jade
VIC/PRE S+B deck, getting endlessly mocked for my use of S:CE tech, and I
was completely tooled, again, by my predator Jay, who played a Slow
Withering and then spitefully kept me from ousting Steve Wampler by DI'ing
my Changeleing bleed modifier that was ousting him (instead of saving the DI
for the Govern that ousted him on his predator's next turn. Come to think of
it, I think Jay is now officially the architect of all my misery instead of
Josh...), but I managed to get 1 VP in that tournament by the mercy of Robyn
(thanks Robyn!) after setting her up for the win by Archon Investigating her
prey's Helmut Stover (who was bleeding me for, like, 7 or something).

So while I ended up with 2 total VP's in 5 tournament games, I did score
some unhumiliation by winning two different dummy deck casual games with my
soon to be revealed Insurance Scam deck!

As usual, Totalcon was a fantastic con with a lot of great VTES action,
which I heartily reccomend to all folks.

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"How does this end?"
"In fire."
Emperor Turhan and Kosh

Peter D Bakija wrote:
> On my own front, in the Qualifer, I was playing a POT/dom weenie rush
deck,
> and got totally meta-tooled by virtue of like every other deck in the
> tournament having crazy combat in it. I got 1 VP, total getting
maimed by 2
> different Euro-Brujah CEL/POT/DOM decks with Torn Signpost/Blur tech,
and
> totally and ironically stopped dead by Jay's !Nosferatu deck with
Carrion
> Crows and Aid from Bats. The one game I didn't run into significant
combat,
> I was killed by Ethan's last hurrah Anson/Anarch Revolt deck, and as
much as
> I'd like to blame Josh for me being tooled in that game, he really
didn't do
> anything but get mangled by me for accidentally being my prey.
>
> In the Crocodile's Tounge tournament, I was playing a The Rose/Creamy
Jade
> VIC/PRE S+B deck, getting endlessly mocked for my use of S:CE tech,
and I
> was completely tooled, again, by my predator Jay, who played a Slow
> Withering and then spitefully kept me from ousting Steve Wampler by
DI'ing
> my Changeleing bleed modifier that was ousting him (instead of saving
the DI
> for the Govern that ousted him on his predator's next turn. Come to
think of
> it, I think Jay is now officially the architect of all my misery
instead of
> Josh...), but I managed to get 1 VP in that tournament by the mercy
of Robyn
> (thanks Robyn!) after setting her up for the win by Archon
Investigating her
> prey's Helmut Stover (who was bleeding me for, like, 7 or something).

I'm still trying to get over the shock of how the Great Peter Bakija
was caught playing a sleazy stealth bleed deck with S:CE! Oh how the
mighty have fallen! Tis a sad sad day for VTES when such a notable
player stoops to an all-time low. =P

It was also sleazy how you managed to beg Robyn into letting you have a
VP (I was Peter's prey and Robyn's predator BTW). I think Robyn should
have given *me* the VP for being such an exemplary predator. I did
nothing to her the whole game because I had to worry about stealth
bleed behind me. In fact, I managed to get at least 8-10 free blood
from my prey's (Robyn) Owain Evans in return for not doing anything to
her. And I think she would have won even if Hartmut hadn't been burned.
You and I had been walling up pretty well which would have given her
the time to oust the !Gangrel.

(I was glad to see you play your classic weenie Potence the following
day however, even if you didn't do particular well that time).

- Eric Chiang

echiang777@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm still trying to get over the shock of how the Great Peter Bakija
> was caught playing a sleazy stealth bleed deck with S:CE! Oh how the
> mighty have fallen! Tis a sad sad day for VTES when such a notable
> player stoops to an all-time low. =P

I know! I'm such a tool! But in the end, all it got me was killed.

> It was also sleazy how you managed to beg Robyn into letting you have a
> VP (I was Peter's prey and Robyn's predator BTW). I think Robyn should
> have given *me* the VP for being such an exemplary predator. I did
> nothing to her the whole game because I had to worry about stealth
> bleed behind me. In fact, I managed to get at least 8-10 free blood
> from my prey's (Robyn) Owain Evans in return for not doing anything to
> her. And I think she would have won even if Hartmut hadn't been burned.
> You and I had been walling up pretty well which would have given her
> the time to oust the !Gangrel.

I figure it was fair, as I did, like, half her work for her by AI'ing Helmut
Stover :)

> (I was glad to see you play your classic weenie Potence the following
> day however, even if you didn't do particular well that time).

Yeah, there was just too much fightiness in the tournament, which was
weird--last year, I was playing my weenie Obf Cooler deck (that did much
better btw--it got, like, a GW and 4 or 5 total VPs) and saw, like, no
combat decks, and lots of S+B decks. So this year I figured "Well, I'll try
the Rush combat again, as people are probably playing bleedy and votey decks
in competitont...". And instead, I ran into 2 different Euro Brujah decks
and an !Nos deck filled to the brim with Carrion Crows and Aid from Bats.
Who woulda thought?

Next time, I'm playing a Choir deck...

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"How does this end?"
"In fire."
Emperor Turhan and Kosh

Dave wrote:
>Bah. You don't get to bitch about Peter's deck selection and then
comment
>on your Dirty, Filthy, Nasty, Foul, Awful, Horrible, No Good
deal-makings in
>the same post...

Heh heh. Really, I was the only one who made a deal, and it wasn't so
much a deal as pathetic begging--after I AI'ed her prey's Helmut
Stover, Robyn ousted her prey and started killing me. I had Eric on the
ropes, and was like "Hey--could I have a VP?", and Robyn let me live
long enough to oust Eric (i.e., like one more turn), and then I just
got run over. It was a pretty funny game. Robyn is the best cross table
ally ever :)

-Peter

Josh wrote:
>A 1-point font? At least it wasn't a half-point this time, heh.

I think, mostly, it is zapf-dingbats at 1 point. The most useless of
fonts...

>Oh, I think you can partially blame me there. I was playing a deck
with
>enough defense (Harbingers/Bartholomew Brinksmanship) that it took
you,
>like, three rushes to ever torporize one of my guys.

Yeah, I mean, like, it was a minor inconvinience getting S:CE at some
point, and the Secure Haven certainly didn't help, but mostly, I was
slowed enough and Ethan was doing enough damage with Anarchs and
deflections that I fell under. If my cross table pal hadn'tve bled that
extra couple times for 1 to get bounced into me, I might have
survived--I suspect that if I had held on a turn longer and Ethan got
whacked, I probably could have convinced cross table guy (who was
that?) to let me live long enough to oust you by promising not to
torporize all his minions.

Mostly, though, I blame Jared for not voting down that Anarch when he
said he would--that 2 or 3 pool I lost to it was all the difference :)

-Peter

p...@lightlink.com wrote:
> Mostly, though, I blame Jared for not voting down that Anarch when he
> said he would--that 2 or 3 pool I lost to it was all the difference
:)

> -Peter

Haha. Did Jared break a deal during your game too? During the starter
draft tournament, he promised Matt Flint he wouldn't bleed during his
next turn and then proceeds to bleed with Regina and a Conditioning for
4. He apologizes, saying he forgot. Next turn he doesn't bleed at all
but instead uses that time to reload by using a Whispers from the Dead
to retrieve that Conditioning! Sneaky sneaky! =P

- Eric Chiang

David Zopf wrote:
> Bah. You don't get to bitch about Peter's deck selection and then
comment
> on your Dirty, Filthy, Nasty, Foul, Awful, Horrible, No Good
deal-makings in
> the same post...
>
> ;-)
>
> (FYI; Eric mugged me of a Table win by cutting a deal for a measly VP
with
> Peterr Jehlen. In truth, it was Good Play on his part, as nothing
else
> would have gotten him off the table with anything resembling a VP...)

Hehe. I mugged you of a single VP, *not* a Table Win. After you had
ousted your prey at the 4-player table, if I couldn't get any VP's, the
best thing to do would be to ensure a 2-2 split (thus no Game Win). If
Peter hadn't agreed to my deal (for a 2-1-1 split, giving him the Table
Win and me a single VP), then I would have still torp'ed all of your
minions that I could (which was 2 or 3, leaving you with just 1 or 2
left), and then either let you oust me or oust myself. That way, you
would get 2 VP's but would easily get overwhelmed, meaning a split
table.

So get those facts straight next time! ;)

- Eric Chiang

"Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote in message
> So I just got back from the NER Qualifier at Totalcon, and boy, are my
arms
> tired.

Mine too!

Actually, my thumbs more than my arms. All that shuffling is kind of
rough. I ought to stay in training by shuffling every day, I guess.
:)

> The Friday night Crocodile's Tounge 2R/F Constructed event was won by
(I
> think) Matt Morgan using, well, some deck that I never saw. Man. I'm
just a
> font of useless information.

A 1-point font? At least it wasn't a half-point this time, heh.

> On my own front, in the Qualifer, I was playing a POT/dom weenie rush
deck,
> and got totally meta-tooled by virtue of like every other deck in the
> tournament having crazy combat in it. I got 1 VP, total getting maimed
by 2
> different Euro-Brujah CEL/POT/DOM decks with Torn Signpost/Blur tech,
and
> totally and ironically stopped dead by Jay's !Nosferatu deck with
Carrion
> Crows and Aid from Bats. The one game I didn't run into significant
combat,
> I was killed by Ethan's last hurrah Anson/Anarch Revolt deck, and as
much as
> I'd like to blame Josh for me being tooled in that game, he really
didn't do
> anything but get mangled by me for accidentally being my prey.

Oh, I think you can partially blame me there. I was playing a deck with
enough defense (Harbingers/Bartholomew Brinksmanship) that it took you,
like, three rushes to ever torporize one of my guys. If you hadn't had
to keep wasting rushes on me, maybe you could have stayed alive against
Ethan better. Though there wasn't that much you could probably have
done besides get him ousted, then you'd need to get your new predator
ousted, etc. :)

Incidentally, I had very little success with my Brinksmanship plan (it
was basically a copy of David Cherryholmes's deck that he won the DC
tournament with a while ago). I managed to empty a library once, but
couldn't get the Brinksmanship off on account of (a) not drawing it till
very late in the game (I had 2 copies of Brinksmanship and 2 of Dia de
los Muertos, and had replaced the now-illegal 2 Dramatic Upheaval with 2
Delaying Tactics), and (b) not being able to get it to referendum on
account of Carlton van Freakin' Wyk being controlled by my predator (hi
Jay!) to foil my Daring the Dawn anyway, not to mention (c) in all three
rounds I wasn't able to keep my pool healthy enough to get multiple
Slaughterhouses going very well. (I kept finding myself too low to play
more than 2 Slaughterhouses in a game.) So I ended up with 0 VPs on the
day, having avoided being first ousted in all three games, but only
making it to "last two players" once.

I think Ben Peal may be right that the deck could be improved by
dropping Bartholomew entirely - the additional potential point of bleed
reduction and pool-gain for being untapped seems outweighed by the lack
of Fortitude and consistency of disciplines you'd gain by using just
Harbingers. Not an indictment, just an idea. I'll probably try it that
way soonish.

Josh

they call me no-point

Peter D Bakija wrote:

> Yeah, there was just too much fightiness in the tournament, which was
> weird--last year, I was playing my weenie Obf Cooler deck (that did much
> better btw--it got, like, a GW and 4 or 5 total VPs) and saw, like, no
> combat decks, and lots of S+B decks. So this year I figured "Well, I'll try
> the Rush combat again, as people are probably playing bleedy and votey decks
> in competitont...". And instead, I ran into 2 different Euro Brujah decks
> and an !Nos deck filled to the brim with Carrion Crows and Aid from Bats.
> Who woulda thought?

"Robyn" means "Animalism" means "Combat". You can take that to the bank.

--

David Cherryholmes
david.cherryholmes@gmail.com

"OK. So be it. It's not my view, but whatever makes you
happy, right? I'm all about making you happy, Dave. :)"

-- LSJ, V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.

<echiang777@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Peter D Bakija wrote:
>
> I'm still trying to get over the shock of how the Great Peter Bakija
> was caught playing a sleazy stealth bleed deck with S:CE! Oh how the
> mighty have fallen! Tis a sad sad day for VTES when such a notable
> player stoops to an all-time low. =P
>
> It was also sleazy how you managed to beg Robyn into letting you have a
> VP (I was Peter's prey and Robyn's predator BTW). I think Robyn should
> have given *me* the VP for being such an exemplary predator.

Bah. You don't get to bitch about Peter's deck selection and then comment
on your Dirty, Filthy, Nasty, Foul, Awful, Horrible, No Good deal-makings in
the same post...

;-)

(FYI; Eric mugged me of a Table win by cutting a deal for a measly VP with
Peterr Jehlen. In truth, it was Good Play on his part, as nothing else
would have gotten him off the table with anything resembling a VP...)

DaveZ
Atom Weaver

David Cherryholmes wrote:

> "Robyn" means "Animalism" means "Combat". You can take that to the bank.

Sadly, it was Krystoff who tooled me with the Animalism. I only was in one
game with Robyn all weekend, and I'm pretty sure she was the !Ventrue, and
thus, animalism free :)

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"How does this end?"
"In fire."
Emperor Turhan and Kosh

Joshua Duffin wrote:

> Oh, no, that was Shane, Jared's brother, in that game. Easy to get them
> confused, I know. :)

You are correct. It was Shane all along. I don't want to drag anyone's name
through the mud, especially the wrong guy who didn't really do anything evil
anyway :)

> The other other person in the game (my prey, with the obf/pre small-vamp
> vote deck) was Remy Auclair. He actually did have a vote he could have
> thrown to burn that Anarch Revolt at that point, but he didn't say
> anything about that when you asked, since he wasn't planning to throw
> it, heh.

Yeah, that was also aparent--he totally could have pitched a vote and it
would have saved us all in the long run.

> Shane was actually more like "I might..." than "Yeah! Me!" I think, but
> I guess he didn't realize that you were going to take that as "Yeah!
> Me!" and go for the action. ;-)

I blame myself.

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"How does this end?"
"In fire."
Emperor Turhan and Kosh

> Hehe. I mugged you of a single VP, *not* a Table Win. After you had
> ousted your prey at the 4-player table, if I couldn't get any VP's, the
> best thing to do would be to ensure a 2-2 split (thus no Game Win). If
> Peter hadn't agreed to my deal (for a 2-1-1 split, giving him the Table
> Win and me a single VP), then I would have still torp'ed all of your
> minions that I could (which was 2 or 3, leaving you with just 1 or 2
> left), and then either let you oust me or oust myself. That way, you
> would get 2 VP's but would easily get overwhelmed, meaning a split
> table.

Yeah, see. I know that minimizing Game Wins is supposedly a Good Thing
when you don't take away any VPs fom the table yourself, but I've never seen
it be enough to matter from the standpoint of making the finals in a larger
event like a NAC-Q (if you've got a strategy which requires considering such
deals, you probably don't have a strategy that is sufficient for the current
tournament environment). On my last table, I declined efforts by my Prey
and grand-Prey (4 player table at that point) to keep me in the game when it
was apparent that I wasn't going to be going forward. In effect, letting my
pred oust me re-balbanced that table into a time-out... In that game, I
wasn't so much interested in that effect, as I was dissolving my prey's
notion that he could negotiate the whole table into a string of weak preys
for him to sweep.

Was that one VP the thing that got you qualified (Josh hasn't posted GWs,
VPs)? If it made the difference, then I guess that might be supporting
evidence for the tactic. Although it doesn't support your Plan B (2-2
split), since that involves other people getting VPs, and not you.

Regards,
DaveZ
Atom Weaver