Quadro FX 2000, a worthy return

eden

Champion
Has anyone read the recent superb article by Uwe?
First off, kudos for making it such a good one, it's yet another quality article that makes a lot of in-depth look into the hardware and gives a very unbiased look at it.

I have to say, the card really does a damn fine job, and is much more impressive than the FX. But then again the lack of competition by the FireGL X1's drivers is not showing yet if this card is really up there. After all, its true competition is with the DX9 bunch like the X1, not the Quadro 4. THG has the new drivers and will be reporting the new results.
I am also quite impressed that they went to simple cooling, hopefully not a dustbuster Quadro, and that at 400MHZ core and memory it was performing this well, at a mere 48ºC. Much less than before. I am interested though in the future refinement of the 0.13m, as it definitly CAN get better if the ATi card runs much less hot.

Overall it shows potential in this field, but will it be that way for the desktop at some point? Let's hope.

"Oh great, nVidia finally does a high performing card, but labels it "Professional", now we can't use buy it..." :tongue:

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I told you. This card is freaking insane! Mad fast, and I wonder how it does under 3d s max 5 w/ more optimizations and stuff (though max 5 is still DX8.1). Hmm, must be nice with the maxtreme optimizations too. Driver's will only improve. Hmm, me sar gonna check it out if dustbusters can be converted to quadro. Now the question is, do I get one? I really really want it, but my quadro dcc serves me fine tooo......choices choices.

Hilbert space is a big place.

eden

Champion
Again, the FX card runs at a higher clock speed, and uses some really unoptimized core that outputs WAY too much, compared to the Quadro FX.
I feel that you could probably try going for the cheaper FX1000, then mod it to 2000.

It's just that its performance is so much more than the geForce FX, that it seems it's another core in itself.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Still looking for a true revue / view of this card.
What is the (quieter) cooling solution, and the review tested it on 8X agp, is it still an AGP pro 50 card?
They talk of an aux.power supply 75w. is that onlyneeded for 8x AGP, or will the pro50 not draw enough either?

Still waiting for a picture,but a very intreuiging card, and making me rethink my original FireGL-X1 thoughts, still it'll be interesting to see if Flame can convert a regular FX, converting a 9700 may still be a wise choice, but the figures show one heck of a card in the FX2000.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

gal128

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
WTF. If the Quadro is doing this what happened with the Geforce card. I mean holy hell its initial driver set is killing the X1. Of course the X1 will improve but from the initial offering I don't think it will be able to overtake the Quadro.

Also with Nvidia dissing M$ and Nintendo and then talking crap on Sony they are closing themselves off from a very lucrative market. I guess they decided they didnt want to make money anymore. (Reference: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=1324 )

Unless Nvidia has some Nuclear Detonator driver for the NV3x they may want to concede this round and start planning for Christmas.

SIDENOTE: F U GAINWARD!!! GIVE ME AN RMA'D CARD THAT WORKS DICKS!!!

HULK SMASH!!!