How to get rid of applications running in memory???

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Memory
  • Software
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 5:47:39 PM

Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not load
due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
applications running that the software being installed didn't have enough
room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many I
did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.

In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really don't
want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.

I have 1GB of memory.

I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking about
but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of trying
to ask the question...

Harry

More about : rid applications running memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 5:47:40 PM

What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB is
likely hurting, not helping.

Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you done a
Spyware scan?

Tom
"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not
> load
> due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
> applications running that the software being installed didn't have enough
> room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
> fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many I
> did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
> that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.
>
> In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really
> don't
> want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
>
> I have 1GB of memory.
>
> I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking
> about
> but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
> trying
> to ask the question...
>
> Harry

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 5:47:40 PM

"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not
> load
> due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
> applications running that the software being installed didn't have enough
> room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
> fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many I
> did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
> that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.
>
> In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really
> don't
> want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
>
> I have 1GB of memory.
>
> I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking
> about
> but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
> trying
> to ask the question...
>
> Harry

As far as the legitimate but unknown startup programs you might want to give
Windows Startup Inspector a try. Clean freeware.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/

It identifies most common startup programs and for those not in it's
database it lists the full path to and startup locations for them which can
at least give a clue. Also gives the opportunity to disable their startup.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 5:47:41 PM

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would
>> not load
>> due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
>> applications running that the software being installed didn't have
>> enough room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the
>> installation when fine. Some of the applications that were running I
>> recognized, but many I did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this
>> "junk"? Also, I understand that some of the applications must run in
>> order for XP to operate. In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to
>> get rid of it, but I really
>> don't
>> want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
>>
>> I have 1GB of memory.
>>
>> I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am
>> talking about
>> but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
>> trying
>> to ask the question...
>>
>> Harry
>
> As far as the legitimate but unknown startup programs you might want
> to give Windows Startup Inspector a try. Clean freeware.
>
> http://www.windowsstartup.com/
>
> It identifies most common startup programs and for those not in it's
> database it lists the full path to and startup locations for them
> which can at least give a clue. Also gives the opportunity to disable
> their startup.

Very nifty utility. Thanks.

a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 5:53:24 PM

Hi Tom.

Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan. I
don't have the software.

Harry

> What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB is
> likely hurting, not helping.
>
> Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you done
> Spyware scan?
>
> Tom
> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not
> > load
> > due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
> > applications running that the software being installed didn't have
enough
> > room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
> > fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many
> > did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
> > that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.
> >
> > In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really
> > don't
> > want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
> >
> > I have 1GB of memory.
> >
> > I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking
> > about
> > but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
> > trying
> > to ask the question...
> >
> > Harry

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 6:17:06 PM

>"Harry Gordon"

>I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking about
>but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of trying
>to ask the question...

Here is a comprehensive list of programs that may load on startup and what they
do. You probably will need to write down the ones that are running on your
computer and then look them up in this list one-by-one to determine if you want
them running or not.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?letter=&filter=&...

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 6:18:58 PM

Get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and run them.

Adaware

Spybot S&D
http://security.kolla.de/

> Hi Tom.
>
> Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan. I
> don't have the software.
>
> Harry

>> What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB
>> is
>> likely hurting, not helping.
>>
>> Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you
>> done
>> Spyware scan?
>>
>> Tom
>> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> > Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not
>> > load
>> > due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
>> > applications running that the software being installed didn't have
> enough
>> > room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation
>> > when
>> > fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many
>> > did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I
>> > understand
>> > that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.
>> >
>> > In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really
>> > don't
>> > want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
>> >
>> > I have 1GB of memory.
>> >
>> > I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking
>> > about
>> > but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
>> > trying
>> > to ask the question...
>> >
>> > Harry

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 6:55:39 PM

Agree 1000%. Ad-Aware SE & Spybot S&D updated with the latest definitions do a
pretty good job of purging a computer of all the pests. To download, Google for
either title, go to the web site download, then install and run the built-in
updaters.

Afterward, MSCONFIG can show exactly which programs are run at system startup,
and can prevent some of these from running, as well.

Finally, HIJACKTHIS gives an even more complete picture of what runs when the
system starts up, and allows for removal of programs, services, browser
hi-jackers, browser add-ons, and other system elements. Warning: Best to know
very well what you are doing when you use HIJACKTHIS. This means knowing the
exact purpose (good or bad) for each program running before removing it.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:18:58 GMT, "Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and run them.
>
>Adaware
>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

>Spybot S&D
>http://security.kolla.de/
>

>"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Tom.
>>
>> Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan. I
>> don't have the software.
>>
>> Harry
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB
>>> is
>>> likely hurting, not helping.
>>>
>>> Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you
>>> done
>>> Spyware scan?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> enough

December 10, 2004 9:34:15 PM

A great site to help you. Also has urls for you for free software to
get rid of spyware.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

<dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and run them.
>
>Adaware
>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

>Spybot S&D
>http://security.kolla.de/
>

>"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Tom.
>>
>> Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan. I
>> don't have the software.
>>
>> Harry
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB
>>> is
>>> likely hurting, not helping.
>>>
>>> Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you
>>> done
>>> Spyware scan?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> enough

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 10, 2004 9:40:21 PM

"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many I
>did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"?

I'd had good luck with Mike Lin's Startup control panel widget and
Startup Monitor http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 2:12:47 AM

Is the software application an old one? Is it compatible with XP?

"Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not
> load
> due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
> applications running that the software being installed didn't have enough
> room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
> fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many I
> did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
> that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.
>
> In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really
> don't
> want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
>
> I have 1GB of memory.
>
> I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking
> about
> but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
> trying
> to ask the question...
>
> Harry

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 3:17:52 AM

I believe that you hit on the problem. The software I was trying to load was
relatively old software. Most of it was last certified for Win95. Today I
purchased several XP applications and they have all loaded without any
problems whatsoever.

But I do want to clean out memory of what I safely do.

Harry

news:p 3qud.28750$fC4.12353@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> Is the software application an old one? Is it compatible with XP?
>
> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Yesterday when I was trying to load some software, some of it would not
> > load
> > due to "insufficient resources" - in other words, memory had so many
> > applications running that the software being installed didn't have
enough
> > room. I ended up shutting down a bunch of them and the installation when
> > fine. Some of the applications that were running I recognized, but many
> > did not. How can I get rid of a bunch of this "junk"? Also, I understand
> > that some of the applications must run in order for XP to operate.
> >
> > In the past, I have re-formatted my HD to get rid of it, but I really
> > don't
> > want to do that this time, unless absolutely necessary.
> >
> > I have 1GB of memory.
> >
> > I know that I am being vague on exactly what applications I am talking
> > about
> > but without listing each application I don't know of a better way of
> > trying
> > to ask the question...
> >
> > Harry

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 3:20:34 AM

Dan, I have been looking at these two applications for some time. In my
heart I want to download them and install them. However, I have read some
reviews on the Spybot application that stated it caused some systems to
crash resulting in having to reformat the HD and load everything all over
:-(. Apparently, the previous version of this application was a fantastic
piece of software but the newest version is causing some problems.
Comment???

Harry

"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and run them.
>
> Adaware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> Spybot S&D
> http://security.kolla.de/
>

> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Tom.
> >
> > Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan.
> > don't have the software.
> >
> > Harry
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> What system and what operating system? If it is Windows 9x/Me then 1GB
> >> is
> >> likely hurting, not helping.
> >>
> >> Insufficient resources under XP should really never happen. Have you
> >> done
> >> Spyware scan?
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > enough

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 11, 2004 3:51:39 AM

I use the latest Spybot and Ad-Aware all the time. No problems. Various
versions of Windows from 98 onward... Ben Myers

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:20:34 GMT, "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Dan, I have been looking at these two applications for some time. In my
>heart I want to download them and install them. However, I have read some
>reviews on the Spybot application that stated it caused some systems to
>crash resulting in having to reformat the HD and load everything all over
>:-(. Apparently, the previous version of this application was a fantastic
>piece of software but the newest version is causing some problems.
>Comment???
>
>Harry
>
>"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Get Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and run them.
>>
>> Adaware
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>>

>> Spybot S&D
>> http://security.kolla.de/
>>

>> "Harry Gordon" <harry.gordon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi Tom.
>> >
>> > Dell Dimension 8400 - Win XP home edition. No I have not a Spyware scan.
>> > don't have the software.
>> >
>> > Harry
>> >
>> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>not