Sign in with
Your question

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
June 10, 2010 12:48:01 PM

I rebooted my computer last night after doing a BIOS upgrade. When windows started to boot I got a BSOD saying:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Stop: 0x0000004E

I cannot boot into Safe Mode or any other options. I also cannot boot from the CD because I get the same BSOD!!!!!

I know the first "red flag" is probably the BIOS update however the same thing happened to my friends computer last week. Last week on the same day we both entered 'fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2' in the command prompt because we read an article claiming this would double the memory usage of Windows. My friends computer had the BSOD after the next restart but mine computer worked flawlessly for about a week (until last night).

I'm really at a loss since I cannot boot into safe mode or from the cd. The only thing I can successfully do is boot from the BIOS.

Any suggestions?

More about : pfn list corrupt bsod

June 10, 2010 1:24:44 PM

Nevermind - it's a bios problem. I downgraded the bios to the verison it was before and now I can boot just fine. Must not be related to the problem my friend was experiencing.

has anybody heard of increasing Windos memory usage using the fsutil command?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2010 2:45:51 PM

after you upgraded the BIOS always go to the BIOS and select load Fail Safe Defaults, good luck on rolling back,

fsutil, yes and it works very well, but I'm the one spreading it aroud, works well with Mem intensive programs, Adobe, CAD, some games

Start, Accessories, Run(right click, run as admin), fsutil behavior query memoryusage, should return a =0, type fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2, reboot the computer
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2010 2:53:13 PM

Thanks - I did do all of this. My mobo allows BIOS updates to be rolled back thankfully.

Before I rolled the BIOS back I assumed the BSOD was related to the fsutil command but now I know it isn't.

Changing fsutil behavior query memoryusage "1" to "2" caused the same bsod to appear on my friends computer so I assumed I was having hte same problem. Must have been a coincidence.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2010 2:58:03 PM

I always set that command when setting a new 7 install, do not understand why the BSOD and the command, all it does is increase the file system swap size
will do some checking around
m
l
!