Official VEKN Nosferatu Newsletter for March, 2005

Official VEKN Nosferatu Newsletter for March, 2005

So back in Newsletter 33, I examined the Camarilla edition Nosferatu
starter. Yeah, not a real spectacular starter by any stretch of the
imagination, but between the Disputed Territory, Arson, and Bomb included in
the deck, we finally got the important evidence to support a long standing
theory of mine--that the Nosferatu HATE LOCATIONS!!!!

Following this very solid, completely non questionable line of thought, and
wanting to build a new deck that focuses on a crazy new card, as well as
needing something to fill up another newsletter, I present to you, the noble
reader, this fantastic new Nosferatu based deck:

"The Nosferatu HATE LOCATIONS!"

Crypt:
2x Kendrick (7) ANI, obf, Priscus
1x Teresita, The Godmother (7) ANI, OBF
1x Jara Drory (7) ANI, OBF, Primogen
2x Chrstianus Lionel (6) ANI, OBF, +1 hand size
2x Ox, Viceroy of the Hollows (6) ANI, OBF
1x Calebros, The Martyr (5) ANI, obf, Prince
1x Shannon Price, The Whisperer (3) ani, obf
1x Clarissa Steinburgen (3) ani, obf
1x Panagos Levidis (3) ani, obf

Avg 5.5

Library:
6x Blood Doll
4x Insurance Scam
2x The Parthenon
2x Information Network
1x Channel 10
1x Rumor Mill
1x Communal Haven, Temple
1x Powerbase: Madrid
1x Powerbase: Los Angeles
1x Powerbase: Chicago
1x The Barrens
1x Metro Underground
1x Police Department
1x Secure Haven
1x Steam Tunnels
1x Church of the Order of St. Blaise
1x Storage Annex
1x Filchware's Pawn Shop
1x Centralized Background Check
1x Nosferatu Kingdom
1x Shanty Town Hunting Ground
6x Swallowed by the Night
4x Lost in Crowds
2x Forgotten Labyrinth
8x Animal Magnetism
6x Carrion Crows
6x Aid from Bats
8x Kine Resources Contested
5x Disputed Territory
3x Rumors of Gehenna
1x Crusade: Pittsburgh
1x Crusade: Chicago
1x Crusade: Detroit
1x Changeling Skin Mask
1x Palatial Estate
1x Catacombs
1x Ruins of Villers Abbey
4x Forced Awakening

Kind of a crazy deck with lots and lots of different cards, but the focus is
pretty clear--get out lots of locations, use them for whatever use you can
get out of them while degrading your prey with KRCs and building a pool base
through Blood Dolls and blood gain. When you need to make that last push,
and need a cushion of pool to survive, burn down your locations as necessary
to survive. Granted, burning your locations with Insurance Scam arguably
isn't hugely better than just playing with 31 Ascendances, but while your
locations are in play, they give you intercept, pool, votes, and plenty of
other wacky abilities that are bound to be useful at some point, and in the
end, they'll "accidentally" burn down, leaving you a big pile of pool for
that end game lunge.

The crypt is pretty straight forward--maximize ANI, OBF and get some votes
in the deck. Jara Drory has a vote and a cool ability; Kendrick is a Priscus
and has another cool ability (between the two of them and the Storm Sewers,
you have a lot of information available on your prey's hand); Christianus
has ANI, OBF and a fantastic ability; Ox has ANI, OBF; Calebros is a small
Prince--yeah, he might lose his title which might be a problem, but not that
often; the three little weenie are ani, obf triplets. No one is too big to
be unwieldy, there is a good discipline spread, and Kendrick is often the
only table voter you need to get through most of your political actions.

The master selection is kind of ridiculous--31 cards, most of which are
locations. The Blood Dolls provide income. The Insurance Scams are vital,
but not immediately, so 4 is probably the right number. 2 Parthenons speeds
up the location deployment, and duplication isn't really a problem, as you
can always burn the first one to play the second one. The rest of the
locations provide varied abilities, all of which are bound to be useful at
some point--intercept, extra votes, pool gain/management, untap, card
cycling, defense, whatever. Play them all, and burn down whichever don't
seem useful at the time.

In terms of the rest of the deck, there is some stealth--not a ton, but
enough to get through most votes and the occasional bleed; light combat to
cause some damage when intercepting folks or to dissuade Rush actions and to
avoid getting punched by no combatant opponents; Animal Magnetism to push
votes through; eight KRC for forward momentum; 5 Disputed Territories to, ya
know, steal other locations (there are always going to be a few Hunting
Grounds at the very least, and sometimes you might score, like, a Ventrue HQ
or The Rack or something), Rumors of Gehenna to really get the master cards
flowing, and some Crusades so the !Nosferatu slum lords can really represent
for the Mid-West. Throw in a few useful (or free) location equipment cards
and a Changeling Skin Mask to give Kendrick OBF and act as some last ditch
intercept, and you've got a deck.

In practice, the deck works pretty well (certainly better than expected...)
with reasonable solid pool gain, good vote offense and reasonable combat
defense. It has trouble with a lot of really focused intercept and Rush
combat, but can usually make it a game in most situations. There is high
entertainment value to having a dozen or more locations in play at a given
time, and the large pool cushion you can create in the end game is often
decisive.

Next month, I'll look at all the cool new Kindred Most Wanted cards that the
Nosferatu get to play with.

If you want to look at old Nosferatu Newsletters, you can find them at:

http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/vtes.html

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"How does this end?"
"In fire."
Emperor Turhan and Kosh

"Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote in message
> I present to you, the noble
> reader, this fantastic new Nosferatu based deck:
>
> "The Nosferatu HATE LOCATIONS!"

....to be followed soon after by the refinement deck:

"The Nosferatu *REALLY* HATE ARIKA!!!"

Fred

Frederick Scott wrote:

> ...to be followed soon after by the refinement deck:
>
> "The Nosferatu *REALLY* HATE ARIKA!!!"

Heh heh. Yeah, she is, like, the worst possible hoser for this deck. But if
Arika is your predator, you are probably screwed in any case anyway :)

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"How does this end?"
"In fire."
Emperor Turhan and Kosh

Salem wrote:
>you do know insurance scam goes in play and can be used multiple
>times, right?

Yup.

>i am sure you do, was just wondering at the need for _4_. i would have

>gone for 2 or 3....

I spend way too much time not drawing the key card for a deck. I use to
have 5 in there.

-Peter

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:33:30 -0500, Peter D Bakija
<pdb6@lightlink.com> scrawled:

>"The Nosferatu HATE LOCATIONS!"

you do know insurance scam goes in play and can be used multiple
times, right?

i am sure you do, was just wondering at the need for _4_. i would have
gone for 2 or 3....

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

On 3 Mar 2005 04:43:46 -0800, pdb6@lightlink.com scrawled:

>Salem wrote:
>>you do know insurance scam goes in play and can be used multiple
>>times, right?
>
>Yup.
>
>>i am sure you do, was just wondering at the need for _4_. i would have
>
>>gone for 2 or 3....
>
>I spend way too much time not drawing the key card for a deck. I use to
>have 5 in there.

fair enough. the ol' practice vs theory striking home again, i guess.

In message <BE4B9B5A.1DE6E%pdb6@lightlink.com>, Peter D Bakija
<pdb6@lightlink.com> writes:
>1x Channel 10

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

YOU JUST HOSED STEALTH BLEED. YOU BASTARD.

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and