$500ish Gaming Laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalkerfang

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I'm back... Ok, a few days ago I posted on here about buying a $1300 gaming laptop (which I got heaps of good advice for- Thankyou all!).

However, after rethinking what I'm gunna be using this laptop for I've decided to cut back on my spending, and then once the new Intel Processors and the AMD 7000 series come out, I'm going to buy a beast of a gaming PC. This laptop will be used for taking to Uni (so needs to be light with a decent battery), but also to play games when I am bored at Uni / bus / train, and while I wait for my PC.

Without further ado:

1. What is your budget? Up to $500 ($600 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13" would be ideal, but a 15" is alright IF IT IS PORTABLE

3. What screen resolution do you want? Don't mind

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 5 hours+

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? BF3 (I wish), Skyrim, Trine 2, Minecraft on the highest settings possible (probably Low :) )

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Word processing, internet, possibly movies.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500g should be enough, but more is welcome.

13. What country do you live in? Australia- So please either find models I can buy here, or include shipping (usually around $100 from america...)

I don't mind buying from Ebay Australia if you see any good deals, otherwise, please make sure to include postage/ availability to Australia in your suggestions. Thankyou!

Solution
Both of there laptops should perform about the same graphics wise, the only difference then is the CPU. The intel is better but then, how much do you want to spend?
Buy the AMD if you want to spend less and the intel if you don't mind spending $200 more.
AMD- http://www.asusnotebooks.com.au/notebook/asus-a53ta-sx080v-notebook-amd-quad-core-a6-3400m-4g-750gb-156quot-win7-home-refurb-new-condt.html
Intel- http://www.asusnotebooks.com.au/notebook/asus-a42ja-vx061v-notebook-intel-core-i7-740qm-4g-640gb-2gb-gfx-14quot-win7-home-refurbished.html
The i7 if far superior to the AMD processor, but the AMD laptop comes with 110 GB larger hard drive and although they both have the same amount of memory the AMD comes with one stick pre installed...

stalkerfang

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Wait, which one? One recommended the AMD, the other said Intel...

Personally, I'm leaning towards the K53SV, as I've always used Intel, but if there is a good reason to go with the AMD, what is it?

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Both of there laptops should perform about the same graphics wise, the only difference then is the CPU. The intel is better but then, how much do you want to spend?
Buy the AMD if you want to spend less and the intel if you don't mind spending $200 more.
AMD- http://www.asusnotebooks.com.au/notebook/asus-a53ta-sx080v-notebook-amd-quad-core-a6-3400m-4g-750gb-156quot-win7-home-refurb-new-condt.html
Intel- http://www.asusnotebooks.com.au/notebook/asus-a42ja-vx061v-notebook-intel-core-i7-740qm-4g-640gb-2gb-gfx-14quot-win7-home-refurbished.html
The i7 if far superior to the AMD processor, but the AMD laptop comes with 110 GB larger hard drive and although they both have the same amount of memory the AMD comes with one stick pre installed where the other comes with both slots filled making it more costly to upgrade memory if you want. Intel laptop does come with more features though such as built in card reader.
For you to decide though.

Solution

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

I would reccommend an HP DV7-6B32US. It has 4gb ram, 640gb hardrive, i7 8-core cpu(awesome), blueray(movies?), 17.3 hd display, 5-10 battery life- depends on how you treat it, and beats hd audio. I got one from Staples (have it in Australia?) for about 640+tax.

stalkerfang

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks everyone for the replies, in the end I got a MSI X460DX (14 inch, 2gb 540m, i5 2430, 8 hours battery life, 8gb, and I got that all for $700!)

Appreciate all the help you guys have given me over the last few days!

Status
Not open for further replies.