The ultimate video card war shall begin soon

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
This will be a big battle between Nvidia and ATI.
GeForce FX 5800 Ultra VS Radeon 9800 pro
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra VS Radeon 9600 pro
Geforce FX 5200 Ultra VS Radeon 9200 pro

IMO the main battle would be the sales of the 5600 and the 9600 cause not everyone can afford a card like 5800 an 9800. and I'd think the benchmark would be very close and major competition will happen. In the end every driver shall decide the performance of the cards. I knew i should have waited instead of buying 9700 pro.........
any comments are what you think will happen (no flame wars plz)

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
no.. i feel that the 9600pro will PWN a 5600gffx....

there are major draw backs along with improvments to the 9600pro... the one that i personally am disapointed with is the 4x1 pipelines. i mean, wtf.... the clock and memory is substantially faster, but ATI has proven before that the extra pipelines are more valuable than memory clock

we shall see!! once NV releases these new cards for our criticism.

funny thing i just read, ATI put on a show recently to launch the 9800, and they wanted a GFFX to show off how the ATI card could beat it, but they couldnt find a consumer board! ROFL ! so they had to use NVidias workstation equivalent of the GFFX (i forget tha name)
this lack of sales lately has got to be hurting the pocket book,,, and less money means less R&D

dhlucke

Polypheme
Have you even looked at benchmarks?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
so far, the nVidia article on THG was confusing...the FX 5600 was the NV31 and the FX 5200 was the NV34? No benchmarks whatsoever in the article, just words. Especially coming to mind that nVidia has put the freeze on the benchmarking, articles as far as I can tell, nobody including THG has the card physically in a system where they normally test - seeing as they were all just introduced within the week at the convention...

So right now, don't trust the articles until several other places have benchmarks up.

I'm still skeptical though. Even though the ATI cards look better in benchmarks, history of their drivers just makes me keep away from them still. Maybe by the time I upgrade in December this year they'll FINALLY have some damn stable drivers that work more often - and don't screw up every other driver.

dinoX aka BlackDog<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 03/07/03 03:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Drivers? Yeah that WAS the history, just like performance. However if you've checked the latest comments, ALOT of people are having ALOT of problems with Nvidia's newest driver sets, especially those that recently came out, who only benifit appears to be to get better scores on 3dmark03 at the cost of quality. Check the latest review, and most say that artifacts and quality issues appear in the 42 series, and that th 41.xx and 43.0 drivers are working well enough. Sounds like ATI and Nvidia have switched places in alot of areas, inclduing Nvidia now having serious driver issues. Ati's recent Catalyst 3.x have had some anomolies (like all driver sets) but I've read alot more in here about Nvidia's.
As for the benchmarking, the cards ARE out there, however there are things like non-disclosure agreements, etc. that prevent reviews from following their hearts until the puppet masters say GO! Even ATI did it with their recent 9800 et al. release. It seems that the companies don't trust the NAs as much either and are doing 'just in time' UPS deliveries to minimize the spillage, which hurts us all, since the lead and practical time for testing is compressed / reduced.

Anywhoo, look for a good dust-up over the next little while between the 2 Titans, plus hopefully an injection of something from a 3rd party.
Personally the 9600 seems like the right choice for me (cool runninns, quiet, no extra power plug, cool box, and a very original name 9600, ahh just rolls of the tongue).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

I wouldn't think the 5200 is targeted at the 9200.
Didn't the review state that the 5200 a DX9 card?

That would make it far out of the league of the D8.1~X R9200 despite the fact that they MAY be a few dollars from each other.
I would think that the 5200 will likely end up against the 9500.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Actually, I think the ultimate video card war began when ATI came out with the Radeon 8500. It's been ongoing ever since. It benefits us, the end-users. If nVidia had no competition, their FX chip would probably still be a "prototype" and their newest release would be the Ti4800 and we would have to live with it for another six months or so until they got FX all ready to go. Then, we would get the 5600 Ultra as the fastest new card. Because of the war, nVidia was forced to release FX now, and improve the architecture immediately to compete with Radeon. Tech-wars are good for consumers. Me like. :smile:

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/07/03 11:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I'm still skeptical though. Even though the ATI cards look better in benchmarks, history of their drivers just makes me keep away from them still. Maybe by the time I upgrade in December this year they'll FINALLY have some damn stable drivers that work more often - and don't screw up every other driver.
See, there´s your problem. ATI´s previous drivers. What was the latest driver-set you tried?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
the drivers that were recent as of february. out of the 4 PC's I installed a Radeon card on, it worked on only one. I had to downgrade on the other 3 to previous driver versions...at the cost of performance. Don't know why, I have no explanation. All systems were similar hardware setups, just different manufacturers of some of the hardware. Go figure.

dinoX aka BlackDog