[LSJ] Left for Dead and FBI: special affairs division

Say I put out the card FBI Special Affairs Division, and I have an ally
(say, Muddled Vampire Hunter) in play. Muddles gets in a fight with a
vampire, and takes some damage, burning him.
Can I invoke the FBI Special Affairs Division to cause 2 unpreventable
damage to the vampire who killed Muddles, and then play Left for Dead
to keep Muddles alive? Or can FBI only be used once the vampire has
actually been burnt, i.e. is sitting in the ash heap?

Quetzalcoatl

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Good question!

Left for dead is invoked only when an ally is burned, combat ends
immediately. So combat has occurred, and ended.

FBI division is invoked after combat ends and an ally is burnt.

Left for dead then "resurrects" the ally.

So I believe you can use them as you intend.

David

"Dasein" <dasein2600@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Say I put out the card FBI Special Affairs Division, and I have an ally
> (say, Muddled Vampire Hunter) in play. Muddles gets in a fight with a
> vampire, and takes some damage, burning him.
> Can I invoke the FBI Special Affairs Division to cause 2 unpreventable
> damage to the vampire who killed Muddles, and then play Left for Dead
> to keep Muddles alive? Or can FBI only be used once the vampire has
> actually been burnt, i.e. is sitting in the ash heap?

For this kind of thing, reviewing the EXACT card text of both cards is
a pretty good idea:

FBI Special Affairs Division
Event
When an ally is burned in combat with an acting vampire...(the rest turns
out not to be relevant, IMO).

Left for Dead
Master: out-of-turn
Only usable as an ally is burned in combat. Put this card on that ally;
that ally is not burned...(again, the rest seems not to be relevant, IMO).

Of course, it all depends on which effect takes place first, and one might
think the acting player would choose. But it looks to me like Left for Dead
takes place first - "AS an ally is burned in combat" - and cancels the
burning. Thus, the FBISAD effect will never take place.

Of course, "do-something-as-something-happens" effects always seem tricky
so take it with a grain of salt until more rules-savvy people confirm.

Fred

quetzalcoatl a écrit :
> Good question!
>
> Left for dead is invoked only when an ally is burned, combat ends
> immediately. So combat has occurred, and ended.
>
> FBI division is invoked after combat ends and an ally is burnt.
>
> Left for dead then "resurrects" the ally.
>
> So I believe you can use them as you intend.
>
> David

It's nothingpersonal David, but this kind of post only adds to the
confusion.
when replying to a rule question, if you are not capable of providing
the true logic behind your answer and quoting card texts to do so, then
you'd better step aside and let more qualified people answer. Honnest.

reyda

Dasein wrote:
> Say I put out the card FBI Special Affairs Division, and I have an ally
> (say, Muddled Vampire Hunter) in play. Muddles gets in a fight with a
> vampire, and takes some damage, burning him.
> Can I invoke the FBI Special Affairs Division to cause 2 unpreventable
> damage to the vampire who killed Muddles, and then play Left for Dead
> to keep Muddles alive?

Yes. They have the same timing window.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

David

reyda <true_reyda@hotmail.com> wrote in message >
> It's nothingpersonal David, but this kind of post only adds to the=20
> confusion.
> when replying to a rule question, if you are not capable of providing=20
> the true logic behind your answer and quoting card texts to do so, then=20
> you'd better step aside and let more qualified people answer. Honnest.
>
> reyda

I thought I had answered clearly enough, however I'm not LSJ so I
can't get away with a one line answer -=shrug=-. So I don't understand
your problem with my post.

Anyway ... next time that I decide to answer I'll see if I can add
some quotes for you.