Sign in with
Your question

HP 4510s USB boot

Last response: in Business Computing
June 18, 2012 11:55:03 AM

I inherited several HP 4510s laptops. I would like to image them with Clonezilla, but cannot figure out how to make them boot from a USB stick.

There doesn't seem to be a selection in BIOS which makes booting from a USB stick work. Anyone else had the same problem?

HP has a tech note that using a USB drive of 2gb or less may be needed, so I have done that, still no joy.

Thanks.

More about : 4510s usb boot

June 18, 2012 12:38:24 PM

it should be able to boot from usb

in the bios you need to check system configuration-- port options and make sure usb port is enabled

then in system configuration--device configurations make sure usb legacy support is enabled

for the boot menu its either escape then f9 as it boots or just f9
June 18, 2012 12:44:54 PM

Thanks, I have done all that, and no joy.
Related resources
June 18, 2012 12:49:41 PM

then either its not going to support it unless a bios upgrade is available

or you are not making your usb bootable correctly

i find the best thing to make them bootable is yumi

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator...

this will make it bootable and allow multibooting by adding whatever iso files you like

linux--windows--hirens boot cd etc
June 18, 2012 12:51:02 PM

All the pendrives I am trying work in other machines. However, I have not checked the BIOS currency, and I will do that. Thanks!
June 11, 2013 6:11:08 AM

I am in a ProBook 6560 b. I was trying to boot from USB but after pressing F9 the USB disk was not listed among the boot options.

Fortunately, this this worked for me: "in system configuration--device configurations make sure usb legacy support is enabled"
!