Nursery rhyme-based D&D plots

Last response: in Video Games
August 28, 2005 5:48:45 AM

Inspired by the "Why I love/hate my DM" thread.

Make nursery rhymes into D&D advetures! I'll start.

Bebilith's Ascension (Adventure for a level 7 party)
--------------------
Synopsis: A Neutral Good jungle tribe is in trouble. A Bebilith has
been harassing them for weeks now, killing all tribe members who had
gone out of the village for food. The situation had become desperate,
when the village's bravest warriors put a daring plan into action.

Half of them lured the Bebilith after them, while the other half dug a
pit trap near the site of an ancient temple. They eventually managed to
lead the Bebilith into the pit trap, where it found, much to its
dismay, that the entire temple site is protected by a Dimensional Lock,
and it couldn't escape via Plane Shift.

Unfortunately, the warriors did not return. Through divination spells,
the tribe's shaman has managed to discover that the Bebilith is still
in the pit trap, and cannot climb out because it has been raining for a
week straight, and the walls of the pit are slippery. However, he has
also divined that the rain will stop in two days.

If the walls of the pit dry, the Bebilith will be able to climb up, and
will no doubt destroy the village in its rage. The adventurers must
find the temple before this happens, and kill the Bebilith. They should
also find out what happened to the missing warriors.

Laszlo
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 7:21:27 AM

Stephen Weir wrote:
> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> >> If the walls of the pit dry, the Bebilith will be able to climb up, and will no doubt destroy the village in its rage. The adventurers must
> >> find the temple before this happens, and kill the Bebilith. They should also find out what happened to the missing warriors.
> >>
> > OK, I'm not getting this one.
>
> Incey Wincey Spider?

Yep.

http://www.dltk-teach.com/rhymes/spider/

Laszlo
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:31:07 PM

--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>> If the walls of the pit dry, the Bebilith will be able to climb up, and will no doubt destroy the village in its rage. The adventurers must
>> find the temple before this happens, and kill the Bebilith. They should also find out what happened to the missing warriors.
>>
> OK, I'm not getting this one.

Incey Wincey Spider?

--
Stephen Weir

List of Games for Sale - http://www.glipe.free-online.co.uk/index.htm
ICQ # 11472386
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:28:18 PM

Ian R Malcomson wrote:
> chaoslight@gmail.com writes

> >Make nursery rhymes into D&D advetures! I'll start.
>
> <Snip>
>
> Operas and ballets work well, too. For example, I have a subplane
> worked out, tentatively named "Nutcracker Land", with regions inspired
> by the various portions of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite". Wagner's
> "Der Ring des Nibelungen" just begs to be D&D-ified!

Goethe's poem "Erlkonig" is ripe for plucking. Adapted from German
lore, the poem is about an "Erl-king" or elf-king that steals children.

http://german.about.com/library/blerlking.htm

I used the Erlkonig as a death-spirit in a sylvan campaign I used to
run years ago.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

I already did this. For me it works best in my one-shot adventure I
run at cons where all the PCs are evil and everyone knows it.

The party has to go to the island of Vis (named after an Ars Magica
term) to get an artifact called The Gauntlet Of Mighty Magic. While
wearing it, any gesture of your hand produces a spell based upon the
gesture.

They arrive in the port town of Toyland. Disembarking, they are
greeted by a young girl selling sea shells. You have a 1 in 1,000
chance of finding a pearl. People have heard of it, yet only Mary the
gardener knows where it is, and she always speaks in the opposite.
Eventually the party can learn the Queen of Hearts has it. She's
having a tea party in her castle on the other side of the enchanted
forest. They are advised for easier travel to see Grandmother, who
lives over the river and through the woods.

Unfortunately, the bridge over the river is guarded by a troll
barbarian. They could fight it, but paying it a troll gem is easier.
Many people are willing to pay troll gems for certain tasks. Kings
Cole's cat fiddler, who can be found on his roof on 9 lives avenues, is
missing a mitten. A man in a yellow hat wants his monkey proved
innocent of killing the weasel. A young lady is being terrified by a
phase spider while she eats her lunch in the park. The King's daughter
Natalie just needs entertainers for a party she's having, she already
has a gnoll comedian who jokes about cows.

Anyway, they somehow cross the bridge. Walking, they find a log house.
No one is home. There's a table with the bowls of food. At this
point, every party who ever played this immediately left. No has ever
met the three werebears. Sometimes, if I'm in the mood, they'll meet 7
dwarves coming home from work. Dopey, as the paladin, detects evil.
One player was "miffed" his character was killed by Grumpy.

They soon reach Grandmother's house, a large shoe. She answers the
door. She's a werewolf. She agrees to help the party with quick
passage through the forest if they retrieve her broomstick from the her
Wicked twin sister who lives to the west. Travelling west, the other
shoe house drops. Those who attack the sister, who's name is Wicked,
are rebuffed by Grandmother. Wicked only gets wet when splashed with
water.

Upon reaching the Queen's castle, they are told they need a ticket.
They were never told before they needed one. Players have to find
their own ticket. One player once claimed to be Earl of Grey. He got
in. Another casted Expeditious Retreat on himself and ran very fast.
He got a speeding ticket. He got in, etc. From there it is the big
battle at the end with the Queen.

Gerald Katz
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:47:50 AM

There was a 2E published adventure called Dungeonland where the party
travels through D&D Wonderland. I played it once. It was fun. Drink
the Mad Hatter's tea at your own risk.

Gerald Katz
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:32:04 AM

chaoslight@gmail.com writes
>Inspired by the "Why I love/hate my DM" thread.
>
>Make nursery rhymes into D&D advetures! I'll start.

<Snip>

Operas and ballets work well, too. For example, I have a subplane
worked out, tentatively named "Nutcracker Land", with regions inspired
by the various portions of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite". Wagner's
"Der Ring des Nibelungen" just begs to be D&D-ified!

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"
!