Where are the Mata Hari decks?

OK come on, surely by now someone has figured out a way to break Mata
Hari??

I've been considering two ideas for Her Royal Brokenness:

Mata and Setite weenies vote deck; bring out Ventrue Headquarters
and/or Demonstration and/or Feraille. Mata and her obf/ser weenie
buddies go Free States Ranting. Steal vampires with Form of Corruption
/ Temptation. Or hell just KRC people to death if you want to be
boring. Mata has access to massive amounts of stealth, can vote then
Freak and do something else (I'm not entirely sure what, Edged Illusion
maybe), and can Sleep Unseen at the end of her last action so people
(without AUS) can't come around knocking on her door with a Red List
warrant.

Mata ally madness deck; Mata becomes charismatic and a perfectionist
and invites along a muddled vampire hunter, escaped mental patient,
ambrosius, some ghouls from plaza moreria, and anyone else she can
think of. They have a great time harassing vampires, since they're all
Unmasked. The FBI special affairs division are in on the act, and the
allies kept getting Left for Dead (yes this combo works, I got a ruling
on it). Throw in some Gehenna events that screw with vampires, add some
Leather Jackets, stir and season to taste.

Don't forget the action cards Mata can play too; she can dig important
cards out of your deck with Sibyl's Tongue, she can recycle useful
cards with Sudario Refraction, and if she does go to the bin, she can
even dig herself out with Recure of the Homeland!
There are also some clan-required combat cards that could provide
useful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two of these rare
little guys in the whole game: Reality Mirror (!Malk) and Leathery Hide
(!Gangrel). Both have obvious uses; the latter is probably more useful
and acts as basically Soak at superior (but can be played in
multiples).

Has anyone come up with any cool deck ideas for this insane vampire?
Anarchs? Gargoyle spawning?
Mad props if it involves Assimites and/or Web of Knives and/or her
inbuilt Quietus.
MAD MAD props if it involves putting out Storm Sewers, Mass Reality,
Island of Yiaros, giving her a Sword of Troile and watching her chop
people up :D

> OK come on, surely by now someone has figured out a way to break Mata
> Hari??

I'm not up for trying ways to break things.... but I have designed this
deck with the view to testing it out shortly.

Deck Name: Mata and Friends
Created By: J

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 9, Max: 28, Avg: 4.58)
5 Mata Hari aus for qui CHI OBF 7, Ravnos:4
1 Roger Farnsworth aus OBF 4, Malkavian antitribu:3
1 Jeffrey Mullins cel OBF 4, Gangrel antitribu:4
1 Milo aus obf 3, Malkavian:3
1 Ali Kar obf qui 3, Assamite:3
1 Krid obf 2, Nosferatu:3
1 Hanna Redmonds obf tha 2, Caitiff:3
1 Denette Stensen obf 2, Gangrel antitribu:4

Library: (75 cards)
-------------------
Master (11 cards)
4 Blood Doll
1 Charisma
1 Fortitude
4 Memories of Mortality
1 Secure Haven

Action (3 cards)
2 Entrenching
1 Sensory Deprivation

Action Modifier (24 cards)
5 Cloak the Gathering
3 Faceless Night
8 Freak Drive
5 Lost in Crowds
3 Spying Mission

Combat (15 cards)
3 Boxed In
4 Concealed Weapon
4 Dodge
4 Fake Out

Ally (9 cards)
1 Amam the Devourer (Bane Mummy)
2 Muddled Vampire Hunter
2 Renegade Garou
2 Rock Cat
1 Vagabond Mystic
2 War Ghoul

Retainers (2 cards)
1 J.S Simmons Esq
1 Tasha Morgan

Equipment (8 cards)
2 Leather Jacket
1 Meat Cleaver
1 Meat Hook
4 Wooden Stake

Events (2 cards)
1 Blood Weakens
1 FBI Special Affairs Division

--> J

Dasein wrote:
| OK come on, surely by now someone has figured out a way to break Mata
| Hari??
|
| I've been considering two ideas for Her Royal Brokenness:

It's always wise to be able to demonstrate that a vampire is broken
prior to claiming that a vampire is broken.

After playtesting Bloodlines, we finally came to the conclusion that it
was darn near impossible to "break" a vampire, especially a reasonably
big one. The details are a bit hazy, but Agaitas is one of the only
vamps I can remember whose initial design had to be trimmed SHARPLY in
several areas.

Why? Because vampires are fragile. Rush them, they die. Sense Dep
them, they stay edge-on forever. Banish them while they're low. PTO,
Pentex Subversion, Riddle Phantastique... take your pick. It's way too
easy to neutralize a single vampire; this is why it's so hard to play
One Big Monster decks.

Also, vampires are unique. To give the example most commonly decried as
broken, you only get one Arika. She either takes a ton of actions per
turn, or you bring out supporting cast for her -- but you still only get
one Arika. She's very good, largely _because_ she can take a ton of
stealthy actions per turn and thus can simulate being three 4-caps quite
effectively... but she's still only one minion. Everything above except
Banishment and PTO works on her just fine.

I'm sure it's possible to break a vamp if you glue on enough free
specials, or if you make a 4-cap with 3 superiors. But honestly, you
really have to go off the deep end before a vampire is going to be broken.

Looking at Mata, she's got 7 points of disciplines, 2 votes, a big
honkin' special, and a big honkin' disability. Not bad for a 7-cap;
looks balanced from here. The special, like Ian Forestal's, is
difficult to quantize, but it's worth noting that much like Ian can't
cram all 20+ disciplines in a single deck effectively, Mata Hari can't
effectively use all 18+ clans' toys at once, either.

| Mata and Setite weenies vote deck; bring out Ventrue Headquarters
| and/or Demonstration and/or Feraille. Mata and her obf/ser weenie
| buddies go Free States Ranting. Steal vampires with Form of Corruption

Weenie vamps don't do Free States Rant all that well. You want at least
some 5-caps for the job. Also, your vote starts at only 2 in favor and
Mata doesn't have Presence. So you need one extra weenie to go bleeding
first to obtain the Edge, or you need to start including Freak Drive --
something the Setites aren't noted for.

Attempting to rely on the various vote-gainer locations looks good at
first, but you have to get these at the top of your deck or you're going
to be boned. You might do better to run a !Malk or two as backup and
include some Sibyl's Tongue to fetch your votey-things.

Form of Corruption will not work all that well to steal vampires, since
you have to figure out a way to get a vampire empty during YOUR master
phase. As soon as you put a Form in play, your prey will typically stop
bleeding and start killing backwards as best he can. Also note that you
need someone with OBF ser for this, because Mata can't use that card.

| / Temptation. Or hell just KRC people to death if you want to be
| boring. Mata has access to massive amounts of stealth, can vote then

KRC people with what votes, again? Your 2 + the vote card aren't going
to pass it against a hostile table, and if you drop lots of KRC that's
exactly what you'll see. Ventrue HQ only works once.

| Freak and do something else (I'm not entirely sure what, Edged Illusion
| maybe), and can Sleep Unseen at the end of her last action so people
| (without AUS) can't come around knocking on her door with a Red List
| warrant.

Sleep Unseen is a very nice card, but adding it into the mix along with
everything else above is going to hurt. Forget it for a single turn and
she'll vanish -- her only real defenses are inferior Fortitude *or*
Illusions of the Kindred. Leathery Hide is ... amusing, but a card that
nobody else in your deck can play is not a good plan for victory.

| Mata ally madness deck; Mata becomes charismatic and a perfectionist
| and invites along a muddled vampire hunter, escaped mental patient,
| ambrosius, some ghouls from plaza moreria, and anyone else she can
| think of. They have a great time harassing vampires, since they're all
| Unmasked. The FBI special affairs division are in on the act, and the
| allies kept getting Left for Dead (yes this combo works, I got a ruling
| on it). Throw in some Gehenna events that screw with vampires, add some
| Leather Jackets, stir and season to taste.

....You forgot "Get ousted by stealth/bleed." Come on, if it can't at
least make a SHOW of things against your typical OBF/DOM predator, how
do you expect to demonstrate that she's broken?

At least the Free States Rant deck has the option of putting Ozmo and
Mariel in a hunt loop in its own defense.

| Don't forget the action cards Mata can play too; she can dig important
| cards out of your deck with Sibyl's Tongue, she can recycle useful
| cards with Sudario Refraction, and if she does go to the bin, she can
| even dig herself out with Recure of the Homeland!

Bet those work great for the other guys in your crypt, none of whom can
play more than one of those cards at any given time.

She'll be seen in some very interesting decks, don't get me wrong. But
she's not even close to broken, for the same reasons Ian Forestal
isn't... and on another scale, for the same reasons NO vampires are
currently broken. Not even Arika.

- --
Derek

insert clever quotation here

It's too bad Mata Hari is a group 4. Otherwise you could play her and
Ian in your crypt and play with 90 randomly selected cards from your
collection. Or play with Agaitas, Mata Hari, and Ian and just play
with your prey's library. Your whole deck could be Life in the City
and Ascendance.

Dasein <dasein2600@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I've been considering two ideas for Her Royal Brokenness:

Hardly broken. Most ideas so far are pretty tricky, unstable, but
undoubtedly fun. Red List attribute should keep her pretty well in
check. Also, her disciplines are quite balanced. Consider her with
tha/THA or pre/PRE.

: Mata and Setite weenies vote deck; bring out Ventrue Headquarters
: and/or Demonstration and/or Feraille. Mata and her obf/ser weenie
: buddies go Free States Ranting.

She certainly is one of the best candidates for a Free State + Edged
Illusion deck. Haven't quite yet finished working on a deck like this..
I'm still pondering how to make an Ankara Citadel+Path of Paradox combo
fit in.

: MAD MAD props if it involves putting out Storm Sewers, Mass Reality,
: Island of Yiaros, giving her a Sword of Troile and watching her chop
: people up :D

Sword of Troile, Art of Pain, Depravity.. Groundfighting would really be
the thing, but anarchifying Mata Hari takes Anarch Secessions. Disengage
should fit in at least. Taste of Vitaes. Sup. Auspex and Telepathic
Trackings, or Drum of Xipe Totec and Psyche to make sure nobody gets
away too easily.

In the works, in the works..

//T

Derek Ray <lorimer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After playtesting Bloodlines, we finally came to the conclusion that
> it was darn near impossible to "break" a vampire, especially a
> reasonably big one. The details are a bit hazy, but Agaitas is one
> of the only vamps I can remember whose initial design had to be
> trimmed SHARPLY in several areas.

The original version of Sascha Vykos^ -- where you could draw a card each
time another Methuselah played *any card* -- was just wrong, if not
totally broken.

Kevin M., Prince of Henderson, NV (USA)
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

Yeah, I think I'll give Mata a Chanjelin Ward with Aching Beauty then
get an Erebus Mask and perform Art Scams at 2 stealth. And if you want
to block. Fine, spend intercept and/or burn pool & blood and then I'll
Red Herring.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, charlotte vtes wrote:

> Yeah, I think I'll give Mata a Chanjelin Ward with Aching Beauty then
> get an Erebus Mask and perform Art Scams at 2 stealth. And if you want
> to block. Fine, spend intercept and/or burn pool & blood and then I'll
> Red Herring.

I don't think the Erebus Mask actually does anything for Mata Hari unless
she changes her clan. She can equip with it due to her special, but she
remains a Ravnos and therefore doesn't get the stealth from it. See also
Sword of Judgment.

The other stuff should work.

Matt Morgan

"J" <grail_j@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> OK come on, surely by now someone has figured out a way to break Mata
>> Hari??
>
> I'm not up for trying ways to break things....

What are you?!? A pinko Communist??!!!

C'MON! Break stuff!!! Invent a nefarious scheme for controlling the board and
bringing your opponents under your vice-grip-like control - all by abusing a card
or combo in a way no one would ever have thought of.

Having LSJ ban YOUR SICK ABUSUSIVE TACTIC before the entire metagame collapses
is the ultimate target and goal: go for it, damn you!!! It's the "CCG way".

*srk*...not up for trying ways to break things..../*SARCASM*/ Well, maybe we
should all just play NICE with each other and love the whole world and stuff.
Yea, that's the ticket.

:)

I only play VTES once every 3 months, so I get rusty on the rules and
the purpose of winning, etc. Maybe since I've been playing more World
of Warcraft lately I've been mislead to believe each action should be a
long quest with the side benefit of gaining wealth and rare items ;-)

> The original version of Sascha Vykos^ -- where you could draw a card
each
> time another Methuselah played *any card* -- was just wrong, if not
> totally broken.

First, it was more broken than that: It didn't say "other".

Second, it was written in the playtest instructions that it was
supposed to be Master cards only.

Third, my group missed that for round 1, also. :)

-- Brian
Talking about Gehenna playtest...
Wow, eighteen months already...
I thought it was only 15 so far...

Chris Berger wrote:
> It's too bad Mata Hari is a group 4. Otherwise you could play her
and
> Ian in your crypt and play with 90 randomly selected cards from your
> collection. Or play with Agaitas, Mata Hari, and Ian and just play
> with your prey's library. Your whole deck could be Life in the City
> and Ascendance.

And a few copies of the Ericyes Fragments :D

Er maybe I should have made it a little clearer that I wasn't being
100% serious in that post....
I totally agree that no vampires are really broken. For many of the
reasons you mentioned... plus one-vampire "trick" decks have a big
problem with "this vampire can't block" cards like Seduction (with DOM)
or Elder Impersonation (with OBF); they can ruin your whole day.

In my post I was more talking about whacky decks or unusual combos
people might have figured out, that no other crypt in the game could
pull off (mainly involving interactions of various master cards with
clan requirements). They may turn out to be solid decks eventually, who
knows.

btw, I don't think Red List is a "big honkin disability". Far from it.
Rush decks will have rush in their hand anyway. Non-rush decks are
unlikely to have threatening combat to do anything with the rush
(considering she has for and OBF for combat defence, and they have to
spend a master phase action AND a blood to rush, they may end up losing
more blood than you in the process). Trophy cards are unlikely to be
used unless by specific decks designed around marking people as Red
List; and assuming they can do that (i.e. the deck is half-decent),
there's not much disadvantage in being Red List in the first place.

what do people think?
This hasn't been discussed yet and could deserve a thread of its own.

just thought i'd share an amusing tale...

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:51:52 -0500, Derek Ray <lorimer@yahoo.com>
scrawled:

>Sleep Unseen is a very nice card,

there was this one game, with a baali deck. it played a sleep unseen,
mostly just to cycle (it's prey had an aus vamp).

that aus vamp put the baali in torpor during it's turn.

the cross-table ally wanted to rescue, was unable to rescue the baali,
because of the sleep unseen. :)

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

Hi All.

One question about Mata Hari:

Can she play cards that the first sentence is put this card in the
acting XXX? It seems to be that Mata Hari plays the card as the XXX
clan, so i guess she can play for example Ritual Challenge or Concert
Tour...Can she play Blessing of the Name?

"Ashenbach" <Ashenbach@iespana.es> wrote in message news:8b63da3e.0503090405.242b68ce@posting.google.com...
> Hi All.
>
> One question about Mata Hari:
>
> Can she play cards that the first sentence is put this card in the
> acting XXX?

Yes.

--
LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap to reply).
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

On 9 Mar 2005 04:05:46 -0800, Ashenbach <Ashenbach@iespana.es> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> One question about Mata Hari:
>
> Can she play cards that the first sentence is put this card in the
> acting XXX? It seems to be that Mata Hari plays the card as the XXX
> clan, so i guess she can play for example Ritual Challenge or Concert
> Tour...Can she play Blessing of the Name?

Yes. The only problem she will have is with cards whose ongoing effects
name a clan. "The Brujah Antitribu with this card..."-kind of stuff.

--
Bye,

Daneel

"charlotte vtes" <vtesrockssocks@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Yeah, I think I'll give Mata a Chanjelin Ward with Aching Beauty then
> get an Erebus Mask and perform Art Scams at 2 stealth. And if you want
> to block. Fine, spend intercept and/or burn pool & blood and then I'll
> Red Herring.

Aching beauty only works if the vampire is toreador while acting. So you
should start to pack all those portraits and resplendent protectors

<firstconformist@aol.com> wrote:
> -- Brian
> Talking about Gehenna playtest...
> Wow, eighteen months already...
> I thought it was only 15 so far...

Well, like 17 1/2 months.

Shoot. I thought it was 18 1/2, but whatever. :p

On 9 Mar 2005 17:29:54 -0800, Dasein <dasein2600@hotmail.com> wrote:

> btw, I don't think Red List is a "big honkin disability". Far from it.
> Rush decks will have rush in their hand anyway. Non-rush decks are
> unlikely to have threatening combat to do anything with the rush
> (considering she has for and OBF for combat defence, and they have to
> spend a master phase action AND a blood to rush, they may end up losing
> more blood than you in the process). Trophy cards are unlikely to be
> used unless by specific decks designed around marking people as Red
> List; and assuming they can do that (i.e. the deck is half-decent),
> there's not much disadvantage in being Red List in the first place.
>
> what do people think?
> This hasn't been discussed yet and could deserve a thread of its own.

Being Red List reads in practice: "Rush decks will never run out of
Rush cards when Rushing you. If your vampire is empty or low on blood,
she goes to torpor."

--
Bye,

Daneel

Smiling Tom wrote:
> "charlotte vtes" <vtesrockssocks@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
>
>>Yeah, I think I'll give Mata a Chanjelin Ward with Aching Beauty then
>>get an Erebus Mask and perform Art Scams at 2 stealth. And if you want
>>to block. Fine, spend intercept and/or burn pool & blood and then I'll
>>Red Herring.
>>
> Aching beauty only works if the vampire is toreador while acting. So you
> should start to pack all those portraits and resplendent protectors

Won't help. Aching Beauty in play still won't treat her as a Toreador --
only the card she plays as a Toreador treats her as a Toreador.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:34:08 GMT, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu> scrawled:

>On 9 Mar 2005 17:29:54 -0800, Dasein <dasein2600@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> btw, I don't think Red List is a "big honkin disability". Far from it.
>> Rush decks will have rush in their hand anyway. Non-rush decks are
>> unlikely to have threatening combat to do anything with the rush
>> (considering she has for and OBF for combat defence, and they have to
>> spend a master phase action AND a blood to rush, they may end up losing
>> more blood than you in the process). Trophy cards are unlikely to be
>> used unless by specific decks designed around marking people as Red
>> List; and assuming they can do that (i.e. the deck is half-decent),
>> there's not much disadvantage in being Red List in the first place.
>>
>> what do people think?
>> This hasn't been discussed yet and could deserve a thread of its own.
>
>Being Red List reads in practice: "Rush decks will never run out of
> Rush cards when Rushing you. If your vampire is empty or low on blood,
> she goes to torpor."

i don't know about you, but i found when playing rush decks on tables
with other rush decks, sometimes you jammed on the RUSH cards because
everyone else was rushing you.

kind of implies if they're using the red list trait, they'll jam on
rush. if they don't use the red list thing, it doesn't matter if she's
red list or not.

although, yeah, the red-list trait could be used to 'smooth out'
unfortunate shuffling where you don't manage to draw rush cards.

Dasein wrote:
| btw, I don't think Red List is a "big honkin disability". Far from it.
| Rush decks will have rush in their hand anyway. Non-rush decks are
| unlikely to have threatening combat to do anything with the rush
| (considering she has for and OBF for combat defence, and they have to
| spend a master phase action AND a blood to rush, they may end up losing
| more blood than you in the process). Trophy cards are unlikely to be
| used unless by specific decks designed around marking people as Red
| List; and assuming they can do that (i.e. the deck is half-decent),
| there's not much disadvantage in being Red List in the first place.
|
| what do people think?
| This hasn't been discussed yet and could deserve a thread of its own.

And so it shall have one.

The question: Is Red List a significant disadvantage?

Your view (please correct me if I state it wrong) is that Rush decks are
going to have Rush cards and will get you anyway, and non-Rush decks
will not have threatening combat, therefore it's not a disability.
Trophy cards don't add any incentive to rush the Red List guys.

In sequence...

- -- Rush decks do have Rush cards and so can get you anyway. But often a
Rush deck's hand becomes jammed with 7 combat cards, and he will need to
~ cycle; your minion's existence gives the deck a light of hope in its
darkness. I wouldn't be surprised to see it done cross-table occasionally.

- -- Non-Rush decks are not automatically non-combat decks. There are
many varieties of non-Rush decks that include significant combat;
intercept wall decks, bruise/bleed, and bruise/vote are the top three.
None of these decks include much Rush; some include absolutely none.
Against all these decks, your Red List minion is a huge disadvantage
since it adds a free combat option for them that they can use either as
needed or as opportune.

- -- Non-combat decks are the last variant; these decks don't really care
about your minion being Red List. Except, of course, that anyone can
strike hands-for-1, and when 4 minions jump you and punch for 1 each,
then your 3-blood minion is going to either visit Happy Torpor Land or
burn some of his precious combat defense.

- -- Trophy cards won't matter, you're right. Not unless your minion is
at 0 blood and just sitting there looking tasty, which is not all THAT
common.

Overall, what I see is that a minion being Red List gives EVERYONE a
better shot against him, but it's only one particular class of decks
that benefits greatly; the fighters that aren't based around Rush.
However, with the addition of more and more combat to the game, the days
when a deck can include no combat (or only combat defense) and not just
survive but win are starting to dwindle... and this will cause that
second class of decks to steadily increase.

So right now? I think it's a noticeable disadvantage to play Red List,
but influencing the minion doesn't mean it'll die instantly. Down the
road, Red List is going to become more and more of a disadvantage, as
more and more people include ways to hit back in their decks.

- --