please hlp; whats wrong with my Radeon9000!?

kriswilliam

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
Hey

I got a verry strange problem with my graphic card and connecting it to the TV via the TVout.
First of all I got a "Sapphire Redeon 9000 Atlantis Pro 128mb"-card. It supports 2xdisplays and also got a TVout. Since I live in Sweden I got a TV designed for our TV-system called "PAL", the TV is 50hz. When I connect the card to the TV the picture only gets black/white. My questions: is the problem that the TV only is 50hz or that it's PAL, does it have to support NTSC?. It seems that I can drag down the card to 60hz but since the TV is 50hz it shouldn't help verry much, right? I can get another TV on 60hz but would that help you think? I'm not sure if it supports PAL as well as NTSC but if that's not the main issue it doesn't matter. What I do know is that it have to work someway...the questions is how.
So what do you think, is it the TV-system (PAL Vs. NTSC) or is it the number of the Hz that is turning the picture in to blach/white. This is my second graphic card that won't work on my TV so I would be VERRY happy if I could get some support to get this to work!

regards // Kris, C Ya!

IT's the TV system, they're different Res. not just Hz. The NTSC has alot less info than PAL. I beleive PAL is 700+ lines, whereas NTSC is 480i/p.

Go out and get a converter, or buy a PAL specific card, if you REALLY want to watch it on TV. There isn't much you will be able to do with the card, I beleive the TV out is a non-reprogramable chip for region specific output.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Someone else was having this problem (but we didn't find the solution). You might have better luck.

"In the ATI display panel you'll find a burried option called S-Video Sharpness. The choices are Less, Standard, More, and black and white. The last would turn your TV display to black and white"

"Also in the ATI display panel, make sure the format is set to the correct television format for your country."

I just did a quick search on Google. This is an old problem. Is your TV S-Video (or S-VHS) capable? If not and you are using a SCART adapter you might get a black and white picture (or so are the claims).

Does this make sense? I don't live in Europe so I don't know.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I think there is a jumper where you can set your video card to tv out to PAL or NTSC..
My Radeon8500LE made by Sapphire has a jumper which I can set this option

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I had purchased a sapphire radeon card and it was shipped to me in PAL format, since I live in the USA I had the same exact problem when i tried to use the TV-out. Check your card very closely for the model number then go the sapphire webpage. Find the page for the R9000s and scroll to the bottom. Theres a box with a list of all the card variants with their complex model numbers. Id bet you simply got an NTSC card, especially if you bought it online. RMA time =\

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My Radeon has a sticker right on it that says NTSC. Yours might have a sticker that says PAL. If it is NTSC, you could change it to PAL, but it requires reflashing the video BIOS, OUCH!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Yes, flashing the bios is the true fix but not recomended, if the bios you use isnt made for your specific card, it can alter your memory timings and clock speeds, and that wouldnt be too peachy....

Pic's of me and my PC<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html" target="_new">http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html</A>