Teleport Query

If you had a photograph or illusion of an individual, could you use
that to focus on for the purposes of a Teleport spell? Would it be
consider a Familiar location? Could you use a picture (or illusion) of a
location to allow a Teleport? I realize that Greater Teleport makes this
question moot.

We did this in an old 1st Edition campaign. We let one of our party
get arrested for being publicly drunk (he was actually sober) so that
the party could Teleport into the city jail. I don't think we scryed on
him at all...

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > If you had a photograph or illusion of an individual, could you use
    > that to focus on for the purposes of a Teleport spell? Would it be
    > consider a Familiar location? Could you use a picture (or illusion) of a
    > location to allow a Teleport?

    The answer is "no" to all of these questions. You can only Teleport to
    a location, not a person or creature (unless, possibly, if that person
    or creature is large enough to be considered a location, like Unicron).

    > I realize that Greater Teleport makes this question moot.

    No, not really. You can't use Greater Teleport to teleport to a
    creature either. Just a location.

    There is a solution: if you want to Teleport to a person, cast Scrying
    on him first. If he fails his save, you will see the location he is in,
    and you can then try Teleporting there.

    > We did this in an old 1st Edition campaign. We let one of our party
    > get arrested for being publicly drunk (he was actually sober) so that
    > the party could Teleport into the city jail. I don't think we scryed on
    > him at all...

    I don't know how Teleport worked in 1st Ed, but this can't be done in
    3rd Ed without Scrying (or a crystal ball, or some other method of
    seeing the prison).

    Laszlo

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:58:10 -0400, Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    > If you had a photograph or illusion of an individual, could you use
    >that to focus on for the purposes of a Teleport spell? Would it be
    >consider a Familiar location? Could you use a picture (or illusion) of a
    >location to allow a Teleport? I realize that Greater Teleport makes this
    >question moot.
    >
    > We did this in an old 1st Edition campaign. We let one of our party
    >get arrested for being publicly drunk (he was actually sober) so that
    >the party could Teleport into the city jail. I don't think we scryed on
    >him at all...

    A character isn't a place. I wouldn't allow it.

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > If you had a photograph or illusion of an individual, could you use
    > that to focus on for the purposes of a Teleport spell? Would it be
    > consider a Familiar location? Could you use a picture (or illusion) of a
    > location to allow a Teleport? I realize that Greater Teleport makes this
    > question moot.
    >
    > We did this in an old 1st Edition campaign. We let one of our party
    > get arrested for being publicly drunk (he was actually sober)

    Stop it right there. This is Cattlepunk, son -- stop trying to play
    like it's Hackmaster.

    - Ron ^*^

    Tetsubo wrote:

    > If you had a photograph or illusion of an individual, could you use
    > that to focus on for the purposes of a Teleport spell? Would it be
    > consider a Familiar location? Could you use a picture (or illusion) of a
    > location to allow a Teleport?

    A person is not a location, period. I would allow the
    use of a photograph or accurate illusion of a real
    location under the "viewed once," "seen casually," or
    "studied carefully" categories as the case may be,
    however.

    -Bluto

Games Video Games