9700Pro ok with SIS655?

Mask007

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
Hello,

I've recently built a new computer but have some problems with my screen sometimes being corrupt. In windows the screen seems to corrupt for about a second and then turns back to normal. This sometimes happens as often as once a minute. In DOS the screen doesn't seem to update and just goes all weird until i press enter or something making the screen refresh. Most of the time it's ok in DOS though. Also, the first hour or so the computer is on i don't see any problems making it look like an overheating problem.

I've updated all drivers and the bios of the motherboard and even tried replacing all items (gfx card, sound card, memory, hd and cd writer) except for the motherboard.

It seems to not happen when using an older GeForce DDR card but I guess doesn't 100% mean it's the gfx card.

What I am wondering is if this problem could be because the motherboard and the gfx card don't work together properly or if 1 of these 2 items might be faulty.

My system got the following components:

Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra
P4 2.53 processor
WD 120GB 8MB HD
Powercolor Radeon 9700pro
LG 48x24x48x16 Combo
1GB 2700 PC2 Twinmos memory
SB Audigy
Antec SX835II (350W)

I would appreciate it if somebody could help me with this problem. Thanks in advance!

kc252

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
Hey, I am not sure about your problem, but you said you have a 8sq800 ultra board? Is that the Ultra 2 the Sinxp or is that the ultra 1 board, the one a step above the regular old 8sq800? And if so, where did you find it and how much was it. All the places I find either the regular 8sq800 or the Sinxp (ultra 2) don't have the inbetween board, the Ultra. If you could tell me, I would appreciate it. I want more than is offered with the regular non ultra and I want less than the Ultra 2. Thanks.

KC

•kc252•

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, an incompatability would kill your system, aka make it lock, reboot, or not enter windows.

Your problem is more likely related to heat. Do you have any cards in the adjacent PCI slot? The first slot from the card should be empty, to help configuration and cooling.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Mask007

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
No, the only other card in the system is the soundcard which i put as far away as i could from the gfx card. Even taking out the soundcard completely doesn't solve the problem. There are also 2 extra fans in the back of the case which should keep it cool enough.

I'm thinking it's a faulty gfx card but is there any chance it could be the motherboard instead? The GeForce DDR works perfectly with it though.