Your question
Closed

Track stolen laptop with serial number

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks

Best solution

a b D Laptop
December 27, 2011 1:33:15 PM

meosmart said:
How do I track a newly bought laptop stolen shortly after it was registered in the Brand's database?

contact you local law enforcement authority with proof of ownership and other relevant paperworks.
if the laptop had tracking software or any other security measure, those could be used by the owner.
a c 572 D Laptop
December 27, 2011 1:35:12 PM

Hello meosmart;

What is the "Brand's database" you mention?
Related resources
December 27, 2011 1:38:30 PM

it's Acer but no tracker device had been installed at the time of theft
December 27, 2011 1:40:48 PM

i guess then the best case scenario would be to hope he is dumb enough to try to register the laptop himself or call acer for support
December 27, 2011 1:44:08 PM

de5_Roy said:
contact you local law enforcement authority with proof of ownership and other relevant paperworks.
if the laptop had tracking software or any other security measure, those could be used by the owner.

my dear. no tracking software had been installed at the time of theft
December 27, 2011 1:46:56 PM

WR2 said:
Hello meosmart;

What is the "Brand's database" you mention?

The Brand is Acer and no tracking software had been installed at the time of theft. Is it possible to track with the serial number?
a c 572 D Laptop
December 27, 2011 1:50:19 PM

The only way a serial number can be checked is if the laptop is actually in someone's hands.
That's why de5_roy suggests (correctly) filing a police report so that in case it turns up the serial number can be tracked back to you.

That "Brand's database" you mentioned, as far as we know isn't going to be useful. OK, got it.

That was the other report I'd suggest you make. Notify Acer it's been stolen, in case it's taken in for repair or maintenance. Besides the police, that's the other place a laptop serial number will get checked.
December 27, 2011 2:17:00 PM

WR2 said:
The only way a serial number can be checked is if the laptop is actually in someone's hands.
That's why de5_roy suggests (correctly) filing a police report so that in case it turns up the serial number can be tracked back to you.

That "Brand's database" you mentioned, as far as we know isn't going to be useful. OK, got it.

That was the other report I'd suggest you make. Notify Acer it's been stolen, in case it's taken in for repair or maintenance. Besides the police, that's the other place a laptop serial number will get checked.

Thanks a lot
January 14, 2013 4:04:41 PM

meosmart said:
The Brand is Acer and no tracking software had been installed at the time of theft. Is it possible to track with the serial number?

a c 248 D Laptop
February 23, 2013 4:37:13 PM

Best answer selected by Brett928S2.
a c 248 D Laptop
February 23, 2013 4:37:22 PM

Hi :) 

CLOSING due to age... but please start another thread if you are still having problems , which I will answer promptly...

All the best Brett :) 
!