Need a netbook replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreybar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Several months back, I finally replaced my all-rounder laptop with a desktop for games and media storage, and a netbook for coffeeshop work (I'm a writer and university instructor). The netbook (an Asus 1015PE) is amazing for battery life (a huge plus for me) and portability, but I've grown to hate the tiny screen and the undersized keyboard with its stiff keys. And if I try to use it for anything other than light web browsing or Word, it chokes. Even moderate-sized PDFs can be tough to scroll through.

So, I'm looking for a replacement (either netbook or thin and light notebook) that: a) still has great battery life, b) is still fairly small (<15") and light (<5 lbs), c) has a full-sized keyboard, d) has a bit bigger and higher res screen (at least 12" & 1024x768), e) has at least a bit more power than the Asus (I have a desktop for gaming, but something that won't choke on netflix or PDFs at least), and f) is relatively cheap (<$700, preferably <$600). I've been scouring the internets for such a beast but have not found one. Any ideas?

jeffreybar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
That's a pretty decent-looking alternative. It's definitely better than anything I've come up with in my searches (and an excellent price). A matte screen is preferable, but not mandatory. An optical drive would also be nice (forgot to mention that one), but again, not mandatory. But that dm1 will definitely be on my shortlist, thanks. :)

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
I just bought an HP 4430s. It has a matte screen, 500gb harddrive, 2330m cpu and about 3.30-4hour battery. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1365819&CatId=4938 if battery life is really important than this will not be your #1 choice but you could always buy a second battery for about $60, which would then give you about 6-7 hours of use.

Also happend to be on anandtechs holiday 2011 shopping guide http://www.anandtech.com/show/5177/holiday-2011-laptop-buyers-guide/3

jeffreybar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

I'm fine with 13" and 4.5 lbs. I used to have an xps m1330 and thought that was a pretty nice footprint (although it was a bit lighter than the vostro). It looks like you need to get a double-sized battery on the vostro to achieve long battery life, though. I had one of those oversized batteries on an old toshiba notebook and really disliked it, out of all proportion to its actual added bulk.

Supermuncher: battery life is, unfortunately, a priority. I routinely work for around 6 hours on the go and would like to be able to do so without carrying a power brick...so I guess that's about the minimum I'd be looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.