Combat Boost (Suggested Rules Changes for Pondering)

Some ideas to ponder that would tip the scales a bit more in favor
of combat (I'm not arguing the scales are absolutely dying to get
tipped, it's just some food for thought.)

---

Rule Change Suggestion #1 (Heavy Metal):

Strikes are grouped into two main categories:

1. Dodges and Strike: Combat Ends'
2. Regular Strikes

The strike declaration step, instead of being "acting minion chooses
strike first" for the pair of strikes, is instead separated into
two sub-steps. During each step, only the first (or second) category
of strikes can be announced, but during each step, the acting minion
goes first. Broken down, it would go like this:

1.a. Acting minion may announce a "Dodge" or "S:CE" strike.
1.b. Defending minion may announce a "Dodge" or "S:CE" strike.
2.a. Acting minion may announce a regular strike.
2.b. Defending minion may announce a regular strike.

---

Rules Change Suggestion #2 (Light Blues):

An acting minion who is able to strike with first strike (due to a card
or effect currently in play or being in effect, not due to any cards
in hand) may choose to "pass" during strike declaration and see what
the defending minion announces for a strike, unless the defending
minion also has First Strike*. If the acting minion chooses to pass, he
or she may only choose strikes that are indeed delivered with First
Strike.

Practical example:

Pre-range:
Acting Minion: "Shadow Feint before Range. Pass."
Defending Minion: "No Pre-Range."

Range:
Acting Minion: "No Manoeuvre."
Defending Minion: "No Manoeuvre either."

Choose Strikes:
Acting Minion: "I strike with First Strike. Pass."
Defending Minion: "Okay, I strike ×STRIKE×."
Acting Minion: "I strike with first strike ×STRIKE WITH FIRST STRIKE×."

etc.

(* Or it could be like a race: if the acting minion commits to striking
with first strike, the defending minion must either announce her strike,
or bounce back with commiting to striking with First Strike herself.)

---

Comments and ideas are welcome on both.

--
Bye,

Daneel
2 answers Last reply
More about combat boost suggested rules pondering

    Daneel wrote:
    > Some ideas to ponder that would tip the scales a bit more in favor
    > of combat (I'm not arguing the scales are absolutely dying to get
    > tipped, it's just some food for thought.)
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Rule Change Suggestion #1 (Heavy Metal):
    >
    > Strikes are grouped into two main categories:
    >
    > 1. Dodges and Strike: Combat Ends'
    > 2. Regular Strikes
    >
    > The strike declaration step, instead of being "acting minion chooses
    > strike first" for the pair of strikes, is instead separated into
    > two sub-steps. During each step, only the first (or second)
    category
    > of strikes can be announced, but during each step, the acting
    minion
    > goes first. Broken down, it would go like this:
    >
    > 1.a. Acting minion may announce a "Dodge" or "S:CE" strike.
    > 1.b. Defending minion may announce a "Dodge" or "S:CE" strike.
    > 2.a. Acting minion may announce a regular strike.
    > 2.b. Defending minion may announce a regular strike.
    >
    > ---

    I don't see the point of this. Most of the time, you have a fairly good
    idea if the person is likely to be playing with Dodge or SCE, so it is
    up to you if you want to play your strike card, or just declare hands
    (assuming you are acting). It also allows the blocking Methuselah to
    make a choice. There is also Primal Instincts to re-declare your strike
    if you want, and Thoughts Betrayed to stop them playing strike cards.
    Plus with NSA trio, you can choose to force the first combat in a turn
    to not have Dodge/SCE playable (in the first round). A good
    POT/CEL/PRO/ANI/OBT (choose 1+) deck probably doesn't need to go past
    first round if they can't dodge/SCE.

    You also take away the potential surprise of the blocking Methuselah to
    pull the Dodge/SCE out of the bag, or to not play it because you didn't
    use your big hitter card. (Remember, you can already choose to play
    Wolf Claws, etc. after both strikes have been declared, but before
    Damage Resolution)

    > Rules Change Suggestion #2 (Light Blues):
    >
    > An acting minion who is able to strike with first strike (due to a
    card
    > or effect currently in play or being in effect, not due to any
    cards
    > in hand) may choose to "pass" during strike declaration and see
    what
    > the defending minion announces for a strike, unless the defending
    > minion also has First Strike*. If the acting minion chooses to
    pass, he
    > or she may only choose strikes that are indeed delivered with First

    > Strike.
    >
    > Practical example:
    >
    > Pre-range:
    > Acting Minion: "Shadow Feint before Range. Pass."
    > Defending Minion: "No Pre-Range."
    >
    > Range:
    > Acting Minion: "No Manoeuvre."
    > Defending Minion: "No Manoeuvre either."
    >
    > Choose Strikes:
    > Acting Minion: "I strike with First Strike. Pass."
    > Defending Minion: "Okay, I strike ×STRIKE×."
    > Acting Minion: "I strike with first strike ×STRIKE WITH FIRST
    STRIKE×."

    > etc.
    >
    > (* Or it could be like a race: if the acting minion commits to
    striking
    > with first strike, the defending minion must either announce her
    strike,
    > or bounce back with commiting to striking with First Strike
    herself.)

    > ---

    I think this would

    a) complicate matters in combat, which is already a potentially time
    consuming step and can be a difficult concept to teach newbies. We
    already have:

    Pre range
    Range determination
    Pre Strike
    Strikes - Acting declare
    - Blocking declare
    - Additional options (Wolf Claws, Primal Instincts, etc)
    - Resolution - S:CE
    - Dodge
    - First Strike
    - Normal Strike
    - Prevention
    Post Resolution Options (Amaranth)
    Additional Strikes (if so, goto Strikes)
    Press Step - End of press step options (Taste, Disarm, etc)
    - (If Press, goto Pre range)
    End of Combat options (Psyche, Telepathic Tracking, cleanup other
    cards/counters)

    Experienced players can get through these quite quickly, and many are
    actually due to when a card gets played, but it does break combat down
    quite a bit, and becomes tricky to explain to newer players.

    b) First Strike will resolve before the opposing minions strike, unless
    the play Dodge or S:CE. Do you really need to be able to see what it is
    the opposition is declaring? If you think that it should give you this
    advantage, then perhaps the acting minion should be able to say I forgo
    my first strike resolution advantage to see what your strike will be,
    before I declare mine.
    (Essentially, turning this minion gains first strike to Primal
    Instincts).
    This could signify a feint to gain strike knowledge.

    Some good ideas Daneel, but I (personally) think probably not actually
    that useful. I hope I have explained why quite well.

    Cheers

    Andy
    VEKN Setite Ruler of Cambridge

    Hmmm, maybe a card along the lines of:

    Do not replace until after combat
    Play before strikes are chosen

    Opposing minion gains first strike. Opposing minion delares their
    strike first.

    Kind of like speed of thought (?I think?) crossed with haymaker but
    adds more disadvantages. you will see what the minion is doing before
    you chose your strike, with the downside being you may end up
    suffering.

    I don't particularly feel that such a card is needed, but provides a
    nice alternative to your second suggestion. It adds the aspect you are
    looking for without changing game echanics.

    (potential abuse seen with this card for Malk combat: dodge/coma, I
    see your strike before I chose which way I go... current strategy is
    set up as a wall deck, this could give it potential to be proactive.
    hmmm also good for FOR decks.....)

    Cheers,

    -Bem.

Video Games