Radeon 9700 pro

NewbOOb

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
9700 Pro only getting 60 frames per second on Unreal Tournament. Shouldn't it be twice that? What am I doing wrong? When I run ATI's PC Test it says my INF file didn't load and Direct X 8.1 needs to be re-installed. I've tried to install direct X 9.0 but still no good. I'm used to Nvidia and was getting about 70 fps. Should I stay with Nvidia? Here's what I have:
Asus Mobo - A7V133
1.2gig Athlon cpu
512 Ram pc133
Soundblaster Live X-gamer
Upgraded to WinXP

NewbOOb

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
It's doesn't seem right that my 32 meg geforce 2 card gets more fames per second than a 128 ddr card. How stupid does that sound?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Have you tryed the new 3.2 drivers? Actually, which drivers ARE you using?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
ok, yes definatley get the 3.2s
also reinstall ut2k3, reinstall dx8/8.1 or preferably dx9 if you can.
what settings u playing ut2k3 at?
make sure youre not being dumb, i cant explain all of what this includes, but alot of times things can be the fault of the user.
the rest of your system definately is holding you back, but you still should see an increase from your geforce card.
if you cant correctly install DX reinstall windows, it wont erase your files.

Long live ATI.

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Wowzers. This is one of those rare times that the cpu/motherboard is truly the bottleneck. What you probably should have done is replaced your motherboard, processor, and RAM first. Would have cost just a little bit more than the card.

<Brendini>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Next time, get your PC up to speed before you install a high-end video card.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
his pc isn't THAT slow, it's over 1ghz!? the sdram is hurting him, but he said his gf2 was doing better than his 9700pro didn't he?

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
I Can't believe all you "Pros" missed the real solution.

Dude you've got Vertical-Syn enabled. This caps ur frame rate in D3D to the refresh rate of your monitor.

I can get 185fps with my 9700pro but if I turn on the v-sync it goes to 60fps.

The logic is that eg if your monitor can only display at 60mhz (ie 60 times a second) you enable v-sync and ur graphics card only has to match that. This can sometime smooth things out.

Anyway search the board both here and at www.rage3d.com as I was asking the same question a week or two ago.

Anyway good luck

AKA Big_Ted

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
look closer at my post duncmac,
i warned him that sometimes things can be the fault of the user and i told him "not to be dumb"
i didnt suspect that he had that enabled, because if he was getting 70 w/his geforce he didnt have it enabled then.
but yes that could definately be the problem.

Long live ATI.

Makaveli

Splendid
He need a more powerfull computer. end of story. SDRAM kills performance even on a Radeon 8500. And a athlon XP1800+ would be the slowest CPU I would use with a Radeon 9700pro!

Time to upgrade your system my friend.
You would have been better off buying a Radeon 9500pro!

NewbOOb

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Looks like Big Ted is right , although all that agreed that my Mobo/CPU/SDRAM is still not going to give me the high performance I'm looking for, it was the vertical sync that held me back. Thanks to all and a big thumbs up to Big Ted for the logic of a monitor and graphics card.

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Put your claw away Cruella.

In a way my horror at your missing this most obious solution was a complement at the otherwise high standard of 'help&advise' I usually find here in THG forums.

Its just, I supppose, that as I have been looking into this topic specifically with UT (orig)thus enabling me to make this leap of intellect.

That and in my job I called out to fix problems which I usually solve by turning the 'printeretc' on. So I'm used to 'guessing'.