DVI 2D Matrox & CRT technology

gideonli

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Hi
We are using today the Matrox G450 32Mb AGP analog, recently we bought an iiyama 20.1” 1600*1200 LCD screens with DVI interface.
We suffer from lazy screen updating especially in pictures but we got good results in terms of picture clarity, characters sharpness and colors fidelity.
I am wondering if moving to a DVI interface will give some more benefits in the above criteria, and will solve the screen updating.
Our work is mainly Office (word, excel, PowerPoint), digital Photograph, AutoCAD, Photoshop pictures editing, and no games.
Vivid, accurate colures with ultra sharp text and good screen response are the primary preferences.

I would kindly ask your advice on which of the cards to choose, G550 or Parhelia.
Considering I have read all through Matrox Web site (G550 & Parhelia), please comment on the followings:
1. Will we get improvement moving to DVI interface and by which sensible parameters?
2. Is the G550 good enough for one screen or, we have to move to Parhelia?
3. Which noticeable viewable parameters Parhelia will improve over G550?
4. Can you also comment on LCD screen preferred technology MVA vs. IPS in criteria of objects sharpness, colures fidelity and pictures clarity?
Thanks for your cooperation
Gideon Liberman
gideonli@netvision.net.il

I doubt you will notice much difference. In those apps they aren't really that FPS intensive, and I doubt that the DVI would significantly improve refresh, which is likely more LCD specific than port specific. The newer monitors (released sine the iiyama, are built for gaming and have GREAT refresh rates (~12ms), which help reduce ghosting.
You monitor is aroun 20-40ms I beleive. The things is that DVI does help a bit for speed but the main focus for DVI would be for colour precision and to reduce conversion artifacts. Anywhoo if you have the port always slot an LCD to a DVI, it ensures vivd/truer colours, and definitely better fine text.
As for the G550 i should be more than adequate for simple 2d applications, but yest the parahellia will show marked improvement especially if there is alot of motion in the 2d.
The Parahellia is also triple monitor ready, so that is good. The main thing is you will notice a fair improvement moving to the 550 from the 450, but a much larger one moving to a Parahellia. However you may also consider a FireGL, Wildcat or Quadra (older models for the more price sensitive), although Matrox is a good choice as well, especially for a restricted budget.
As for screen technologies, the MVA is the best technology however it is currently being poorley applied and not completely perfected. It should give us the best monitors in the future, unfortunately, just not now. It's kinda like the FX vs R9700/9800, the FX is the sign of things to come, it's just performing poorely (for whatever reasons) when compared to the best of the older technology.

Anywhoo, hope that helps somewhat.

For me, if I had the money I'd go with the best Wildcat card, then the QuadroFX (if money is no object), and then the best $/perfomance the FireGL X1, and then the PArahellia if you have a limited budget. If going witht the Para, try and get a 256 if you can, especially if you will be running all monitors at their max RES. (with which LCD you don't have much choice).

Ciao!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

gideonli

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Thanks for your help it is really helpful.
Will wildcat, QuadroFX, FireGL X1 give better quality (vivid/truer colors, better fine text) over the Parhelia and G550?
How will MVA LCD “poorly applied and not completely perfected” show itself?
Is the IPS technology better in objects sharpness, colures fidelity and pictures clarity? Or, are there other issues?
Thanks again
Gideon

Yes the Proffesional cards will perform better than the Matrox, it's more a pro-sumer card, fitting in the middle of pro and non-pro cards. The pro cards cost twice as much as the parahellia. Now if you are doing mostly 2d photoshop work, then the Para is a GREAT choice because it is really good at 2D, if you are using your gard for serious rendering then maybe a pro card would be good, especially at HIGH res. Now truer and better text, you may or may not see any difference as the Matrox is brushing up against the pro card's quality. If the company where you work is willing to spend whatever it costs, then I would go with a Wildcat, if they are willing to spend a fair deal, then go with the FireGLX1 (the Quadro is much better in rendering and such, but you won't see the diff. for the SERIOUS premium it commands)
As for the colour, remember that the colour depth of your LCD is 16 bit, so you won't notice the diff. between 40+ bit colour and 96+ bit colour. So the MAtrox may be your choice when dealing with JUST LCD.

The MVA won't show any really problems, it's just that it is a significantly superior technology that is in it's infancy, and may be bipassed by newer technology before it is perfected. The thing is it's not a driver issue it's a hardware issue, so it won't be upgradeable. The thing is that for now it performs about on PAR with IPS whihc basically has reached the end of it's tweakable lifespan.
MVA should offer better blacks and whites and hence better colour, however right now they are equal. But don't worry you sound like you have the BEST monitor on the market, outside of an APPLE cinemaHD montior.

Don't worry about your monitor, it should do fine. I like CRT for more perfect clarity of colours,etc, and usually just use an LCD for tools/menus.

Insummary, if you have no budget, then get the Wildcat 7210? (I think), if you have a bit of cash to play with, then a FireGLX1 (new drivers just being released to make it perform nearer a QuadroFX), and if you are cost concious, then you can't go wrong with a Matrox Para. for your apps, just don't try to play UT2K3 at work. The other Matroxs just don't have the memory for running 2 montiors full out, IMO.

Cheers!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

gideonli

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
Thanks for your very detailed answer.
Can you please further specifically comment on iiyama AU4831D 19” IPS, compared to iiyama AU5131DT 20.1” MVA both 1600*1200? In a view of text & objects clarity and sharpness, no games.
Thanks again for your kind advice.
Gideon