NetBEUI in WinXP

G

I have 2 computers on a home network both running WinXP. They're currently both using TCP/IP to communicate on the local network. I've just installed NetBEUI on both systems but want to make sure both systems are using NetBEUI to communicate. I know if I put NetBEUI at the top of the list in bindings that they should use that protocol for the local network (I think). Problem is that I can't find where I set the bindings for my network card in WinXP.

Can anyone tell me how I can force both systems to use BEUI for the local network and test to make sure that's the protocol theyr'e using?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx.

Jimmy

G

good question.

My network works fine with TCP/IP but the internet will only work with one system. I called my ISP and they say that their network only supports IPX and NetBEUI for local networks and cause i'm using tcp/ip, that's why I can't get online with more than one system. (So I figured I'd try NetBEUI again since I had no probs with it when I was running 98/ME/2k.

Any suggestions to my original question?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
thats very odd, netbeui is not a routable protocal. i dont think they are telling you the truth though. is this dial up or broadband?

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

Yes, that's true.
My internet connection with them uses TCP/IP of course. but they suggest not using TCP/IP for my home network cause it may interfere with my internet connection. They suggest using NetBEUI or IPX for local networks. So that may be the reason that 1 of my systems can't get online.

Back to my original question. Can anyone tell me where I can setup the bindings for my network card in XP. I need to force my local network to use NetBEUI instead of TCP/IP

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, i cant find the area to change the bindings, but i have found another way that might work. in the properties of tcp/ip you will see a setting called metric, change this to 2. now go to the settings for netbeui, change the same setting to 1. this will make the route table think netbeui is the best way to go. it should work. if not let me know and we will keep trying, and please tell me if your using dialup or broadband, it would help.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Yes, knowing what you're using will definately help. If you have broadband and only one IP address from your ISP you will NOT be able to get both machines on the internet at the same time without using Internet Connection Sharing and a hub (or 2 NICs in one machine) or a router. Using TCP/IP for your local network has nothing to do with it. All users on DSL in my area use TCP/IP for their local networks with no issues. Most have hubs and are using ICS, while some use a router. Not many have opted to use 2 NICs in one machine.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>