Sign in with
Your question

Recover files and programs from Win7 Backup?

Last response: in Windows 8
July 31, 2012 3:45:39 PM

Ok so I have a new install of the windows 8 release preview. Is there any way I can "restore" from my most recent Win7 back up? Ideally I don't want to have to re-install all my stuff again.

If that's not possible, I do have my windows 7 partition (which is broken with a messed up bootmng.. :heink:  ). Is it possible to migrate the programs and files over, with out actually running the windows 8 upgrade on it (that also doesn't work)

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated :) 
July 31, 2012 5:14:22 PM

well if you know your way around the registry and have can copy over all the folders to the current directories on Win8 and the programs you have installed before have a registry file, just load up the hive file from win7 backup if you can get it and then export the registry files you need for each program and re-import them to the Win8 registry.

its time consuming depending on how many programs you have, but i had to do that for a couple programs when i first started testing win8

mainly with sim3 because i did not want to re-install all my expansions again and patchs which take forever so just copied and edited the registry and imported and it worked great
m
l
July 31, 2012 5:27:26 PM

Given what you describe, do yourself a very big favor and do a clean install. The time it takes is nothing compared to the solving of issues you may encounter.
m
l
July 31, 2012 5:58:42 PM

Dogsnake said:
Given what you describe, do yourself a very big favor and do a clean install. The time it takes is nothing compared to the solving of issues you may encounter.

I did do a clean install. Or does migrating software over no longer make it a clean install? In any case there are just a few programs that have very large setup times and rather not have to do it again haha

Quote:
well if you know your way around the registry and have can copy over all the folders to the current directories on Win8 and the programs you have installed before have a registry file, just load up the hive file from win7 backup if you can get it and then export the registry files you need for each program and re-import them to the Win8 registry.

mmm I might look into that...doesn't sound quick since I dont really know my way around that well

Has any one used Windows Easy Transfer in windows 8?
m
l
!