Palm Developer Environment

June 21, 2005 5:05:02 AM

Never wanted to be a programmer but I have decided that I want to make a few
programs of my own for Palm. I have read Palm OS Programming Bible by
Lonnan Foster and cant decide which will be the easiest language to learn
and program.. Any suggestions?

BKW
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 8:24:37 PM

BKW a écrit, le 21/06/2005 07:05 :

> Never wanted to be a programmer but I have decided that I want to make a few
> programs of my own for Palm. I have read Palm OS Programming Bible by
> Lonnan Foster and cant decide which will be the easiest language to learn
> and program.. Any suggestions?

It's difficult to answer this kind of question without knowing your
background, the kind of programs you'd like to write and the amount of
money you can spend on this...

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:05:02 -0400, "BKW" <bkwoodroffe@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Never wanted to be a programmer but I have decided that I want to make a few
>programs of my own for Palm. I have read Palm OS Programming Bible by
>Lonnan Foster and cant decide which will be the easiest language to learn
>and program.. Any suggestions?
>
>BKW

There are a number of development tools for the Palm platform,
including versions of basic (HotPaw, NS Basic, HandHeld Basic,
AppForge), pascal (Pocket Pascal), java, and C/C++ (OnBoardC, PocketC,
the PODS package from Palm). There are also forms-based tools such as
CASL (commercial) and databases such as HanDBase and others
(commercial). Some of these tools run on the Palm, some on the
desktop (mostly PC), some on both.

1. What language(s) do you know? Since you'll have to learn the Palm
platform in any case, starting with a familiar language will make the
learning curve less steep. (Been there; done that ;-)

2. Have you programmed for a single-threaded operating system before?
One with a very small screen and no OS support for horizontal
scrolling? Think PC DOS 3.2 ;-)

3. Have you programmed in an event-driven environment before? If not,
it's a major mind-shift from procedural programming.

4. Are there any time limits on what you want to create? Do you have
time to create something from scratch or do you need a semi-canned
solution (CASL, HanDBase) or a finished product (custom development)?

5. What's your budget (money and time)? Would the best use of funds
be to buy development tools or pay someone to create the piece(s) you
need? If your budget matches your desires, you might consider paying
someone to create the things you want.

I do one-off Palm development and I have some samples online:
http://www.jecarter.com/nsbsource.html

John
!