LSJ: mesmerize question

Mesmerize
+1 stealth action
dom: (D) Steal equipment from an ally
DOM: (D) Steal equipment from a younger vampire

Steal *all* equipment or steal *a piece* of equipment? (There was some
question tonight about whether this worked the same way equipping from
ones own minions works.)

cmb

On 22 Mar 2005 21:25:31 -0800, cmberry@purdue.edu wrote:

>Mesmerize
>+1 stealth action
>dom: (D) Steal equipment from an ally
>DOM: (D) Steal equipment from a younger vampire
>
>Steal *all* equipment or steal *a piece* of equipment? (There was some
>question tonight about whether this worked the same way equipping from
>ones own minions works.)

I'm pretty sure like Fast Hands, it's singular. The problem stems from
pluralization. If Fast Hands said 'steal weapons', it'd be clear.
'steal equipment' pluralised is still 'steal equipment'.

But I'm a believer in the "If it doesn't say you can, you can't"
school, than the "If it doesn't say you can't, then you can" school.
In my mind, if it meant "steal one or more equipment CARDS from an
ally" then that would have been made clearer.

Though I do understand the query, I've had more than my share of
counter-intuitive rulings made based on technicalities at the edge of
my understanding.

Morgan Vening

Morgan Vening wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2005 21:25:31 -0800, cmberry@purdue.edu wrote:
>>Mesmerize
>>+1 stealth action
>>dom: (D) Steal equipment from an ally
>>DOM: (D) Steal equipment from a younger vampire
>>
>>Steal *all* equipment or steal *a piece* of equipment? (There was some
>>question tonight about whether this worked the same way equipping from
>>ones own minions works.)
>
> I'm pretty sure like Fast Hands, it's singular. The problem stems from
> pluralization. If Fast Hands said 'steal weapons', it'd be clear.
> 'steal equipment' pluralised is still 'steal equipment'.

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/