profession gpus?

dUFF_Man

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
Ok here is a question?

whats the difference between the desktop graphics cards like geforce and radeon and the professional ones like the quadros (besides the price). I mean if money was absoluetly no object, is it even possible to use a quadro fx 2000 in a desktop and play games with it. If so would it be way better than a desktop card?

sorry if its a stupid question:)

:tongue: <b>If it aint broke, <font color=red> overclock </font color=red> it</b>.

Not a stoopid question, just been covered already. PRo Cards are not better for most games, in fact mostley they play much worse.

See the QuadroFX vs. FX post in this forum from a day or two ago. And the post, 'FireGl and Guadro for gaming' posted on the 10th.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
you can also check-out reviews on some Matrox cards (the Parhelia for example) - some of those are thousand-dollar cards meant for graphic design and such which perform terribly in gaming

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

The Parahellia is a pro-sumer card and actually much more designed for gaming than a Wildcat, Quadro or FireGL. Yes it does suck at most gaming, and it will really be just a GREAT 2D card, however it was an attempt at gaming mainly, and costs much less than 'real' proffesional cards. Matrox has a professional line that is meant more for workstations, the Para was their shot at gaming, which really was targeting the 8500 and GF3, but by the time it made it to market was up against much tougher competition that could push pixels much faster, who cares about 16xAA at 8 fps.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
quadros are optimized for what professional 3d artists need in their applications. that is linedrawing, flatshaded, singlecolor triangles, small, and tons of them.

ever worked in a 3d app? like 3dsmax or so? lines, and flat colored triangles, billllllllions of them:D and all at max 10,15 pixels big.. or so:D

thats what quatros are made for.. or firegl cards.

now, that they are basically the same hw like the samegeneration gaming cards, thats another topic. that there even exist sometimes soft-patches to mod it from the gamer to the professional card, that is, imho, rather stupid:D but cool, for gamers.. if they want to have a faster 3dsmax performance:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

NE_Corridor

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
To put it in more simple terms, the difference between a workstation card (like a quadro series) and a consumer card (like the geforce) is the driver.

Call me Caine.