deck in progress: Mata Hari is Totally Evil

Help me make this stupid deck.

The idea - Mata Hari blocks you and plays Undying Thirst and Bloodstorm
of Chorazin. Meanwhile, Bothwell (or whoever) bleeds with Daring the
Dawn and goes to torpor. You are forever doomed to take useless
actions trying to diab Bothwell, who cancels your diab with Crimson
Fury. Yes, it's stupid. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it
better?

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 13, Max: 28, Avg: 5.00)
3 Bothwell ani for 3, Gangrel:3
2 Jezebelle ani for pro 4, Gangrel:4
2 Gustavo Morales ani cel for 4, Gangrel:3
5 Mata Hari aus for qui CHI OBF 7, Ravnos:4

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (16 cards)
2 Auspex
1 Chanjelin Ward
2 Dreams of the Sphinx
1 Ecoterrorists
2 Fortitude
1 Fragment of the Book of Nod
2 Infernal Pact
1 Powerbase: Montreal
1 Rack, The
1 Tabriz Assembly
1 Ventrue Headquarters
1 Zoo Hunting Ground

Action (10 cards)
3 Concert Tour
2 Concordance
3 Gather
2 Sibyl`s Tongue

Action Modifier (10 cards)
5 Daring the Dawn
5 Freak Drive

Reaction (30 cards)
7 Bloodstorm of Chorazin
5 Eagle`s Sight
2 Enhanced Senses
7 Forced Awakening
9 Undying Thirst

Combo (24 cards)
14 Crimson Fury
5 Draba
5 Sense the Sin

A few combos that I kinda of like in this deck:

- Mata Hari is first out and plays Gather to bring out one (or more) of
her Gangrel buddies.

- Mata Hari gets Infernal Pact (Daimoinen), so that she can get
Concordance and use the Daring the Dawns in the deck. But what is she
going to do that's so important as to be unblockable? Which exposes
one of the stupidest parts of this deck - how does it oust its prey?
Infernal Pact also lets her play Sense the Sin (+2 bleed!), which she
can otherwise only use at aus level. Maybe there should be a 3rd IP in
the deck?

- Tabriz Assembly and Ventrue HQ are obvious... free Elder Library and
cheap votes. But not sure either is necessary in the deck. Chanjelin
Ward is also obvious - maybe I need more than one?

- Concert Tour is sweet.

Some other thoughts:

- If I read Undying Thirst correctly, even though it says the vampire
*may* diab instead of hunting, it basically means that a vampire who
must hunt *must* diab. Because it must diab if it can, and if it's
required to hunt it's allowed to diab. This makes Bloodstorm
especially nice, maybe more burn blood tech is required? Although
really, as far as I'm concerned they can diab or take no action - same
net result, although attempting to diab would let you cycle Crimson
Fury's. And might tap out my prey so Mata Hari can do something
productive, considering lack of stealth in the deck.

- I would think about adding Rebirth's to this deck. There's a decent
chance of other vamps going to torpor (although it'd be nice to add
some way of causing that), and Mata Hari would love to eat and untap.

- Is Bothwell the ideal second vamp for this deck? I think he is, but
there may be something I'm missing, and there may be other clan toys
that would be fun if another vamp had the necessary disciplines for the
required go to torpor/cancel diab tech (wouldn't necessarily have to be
Crimson Fury, although hard to think of another way of punishing diab
that doesn't require big vamps - and also losing the original minion).
If he is ideal, maybe this should just use 6 each of Mata Hari and
Bothwell. On the other hand, that would take some of the fun out of
using Gather.

- Any other clan toys that should be added?

- Last but not least, how do I make the deck oust a prey, instead of
just being utterly annoying. 5 Sense the Sin is really not going to
cut it.

On 23 Mar 2005 20:57:36 -0800, Chris Berger <arkayn@ugcs.caltech.edu>
wrote:

> Help me make this stupid deck.
>
> The idea - Mata Hari blocks you and plays Undying Thirst and Bloodstorm
> of Chorazin. Meanwhile, Bothwell (or whoever) bleeds with Daring the
> Dawn and goes to torpor. You are forever doomed to take useless
> actions trying to diab Bothwell, who cancels your diab with Crimson
> Fury. Yes, it's stupid. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it
> better?

You so totally need Faithful Servants. Since Crimson Fury costs a
blood, you'll get diablerised after a number of attempts.

In fact, even with Faithful Servants you might get empty. So using
ANI for vampires (like Céleste Lamontaigne if you don't mind going
!Gangrel, otherwise Lord Ashton, Sophia Watson) might turn out to
be a good idea, so that if you get low on blood, you can burn one
of the last diablerists.

I'd also say Danielle Diron is cool, if you have a Renewed Vigor on
her, as she can get the 2 blood if she gets out of torpor empty, but
that is just a poor man's Faithful Servant in this deck. You might,
however, consider Regeneration and Renewed Vigor anyway so that you
can refill your torpid guy to pay for the Crimson Furies, and have
the option to pop up back into the ready region if the need arises.

Note that if you do use Regeneration, you probably need Daring the
Dawn to make certain you don't get blocked and accidentally eaten
(as Crimson is a Combat/Reaction). Also note the destructive power
of a well placed Temptation or Graverobbing on your bait guy (and
the convenient Fortitude they have if you want to go the Resilient
Mind angle).

I'm not sure, though, how this deck is significantly better than say
a Sens Dep deck... ;) Except for the fact that with Crimson Fury you
can eventually burn more dangerous vampires, though with Sens Dep
they are "just" locked down...

--
Bye,

Daneel

salem wrote:

> swap all the vampires for G2/3 venture, add dominate, votes, stealth
> and awe/vot cap. and deflections.
> :)

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind.

> >- Mata Hari gets Infernal Pact (Daimoinen), so that she can get
> >Concordance and use the Daring the Dawns in the deck.
>
> Concordance:
> "[dai] Requires an infernal vampire."

Bah. Why must that line always ruin all of my fun? Maybe I'll grab a
Sharpie and write on Infernal Pact "This vampire is considered
Infernal. It costs one less pool to untap this vampire during your
untap phase." I suppose I could play with the Textbook, but that would
ruin the whole point of using Mata Hari instead of a Baali to do the
Undying Thirst.

Well, maybe the Infernal Pact will give her Vicissitude instead of
Daimoinen, and the weenies could use Reform Body instead of Crimson
Fury (RB is actually a much better card for my purposes, although
Crimson Fury does have the advantage of being able to burn minions if I
add Ani skill cards - and can be played by a tapped vamp, so less set
up time). Would probably go with Breath of the Dragon (to go to
torpor) and Changeling (for stealth) instead of Daring the Dawn, but
would need some way to keep range at close. Hmm... will need to think
about this a bit more.

Ah, and of course, must remember to throw in Tajdid for Assamite
defense.

On 23 Mar 2005 20:57:36 -0800, "Chris Berger"
<arkayn@ugcs.caltech.edu> scrawled:

>Help me make this stupid deck.
>
>The idea - Mata Hari blocks you and plays Undying Thirst and Bloodstorm
>of Chorazin. Meanwhile, Bothwell (or whoever) bleeds with Daring the
>Dawn and goes to torpor. You are forever doomed to take useless
>actions trying to diab Bothwell, who cancels your diab with Crimson
>Fury. Yes, it's stupid. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it
>better?

swap all the vampires for G2/3 venture, add dominate, votes, stealth
and awe/vot cap. and deflections.
:)

>A few combos that I kinda of like in this deck:
>
>- Mata Hari is first out and plays Gather to bring out one (or more) of
>her Gangrel buddies.
>
>- Mata Hari gets Infernal Pact (Daimoinen), so that she can get
>Concordance and use the Daring the Dawns in the deck.

Concordance:
"[dai] Requires an infernal vampire."

>- I would think about adding Rebirth's to this deck. There's a decent
>chance of other vamps going to torpor (although it'd be nice to add
>some way of causing that),

KISS OF RA. caps lock intentional.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

Chris Berger wrote:
> Help me make this stupid deck.

OK. So faithful servents, right. But now that you're in torpor, work
meat carvers packaging plant. And you need dudes in torpor in the first
place, right? So work some weenies and talbot's chainsaw (the chainsaw
is for Mata). I suggest Waters of Duat for weenies, but I know you're
trying to avoid taking actions so perhaps just load up on weenie
gangrel with for. And then gathering. Don't forget the Crocodile temple
when a few things actual get through. You could try the Grandest Trick
to pull off something grand. Like... calling a vote? So you can tap
that head quarters and alamut for something other than defense. Sure...
whatever. Kick some ass man. Kick ass.

On 24 Mar 2005 21:28:30 -0800, "Screaming Vermillian"
<vermillian69@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Chris Berger wrote:
>> Help me make this stupid deck.
>
>OK. So faithful servents, right. But now that you're in torpor, work
>meat carvers packaging plant. And you need dudes in torpor in the first
>place, right? So work some weenies and talbot's chainsaw (the chainsaw
>is for Mata). I suggest Waters of Duat for weenies, but I know you're
>trying to avoid taking actions so perhaps just load up on weenie
>gangrel with for. And then gathering. Don't forget the Crocodile temple
>when a few things actual get through. You could try the Grandest Trick
>to pull off something grand. Like... calling a vote?

*click*

Votes require a vampire, don't they?

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor
V:tES Brasil Site (only in Portuguese for now)
http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/vtesbrasil/