eMachines owners happiest - happier than Dell's

Check out the Reliability & Service reviews in the latest
(January '05) issue of PCWorld, ppg. 101-104. EMachines
topped the lists for both Desktops and Notebooks in both
reliability and service satisfaction. Significantly, it out-scored
Dell.

In Desktops, eMachines out-scored:
Apple, Alenware, Dell, IBM, Gateway, HP,
Compaq - you name it.

In Notebooks, eMachines out-scored
IBM, Apple, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Gateway, HP,
Compaq, and Sony.

In short, eMachines has the best-satisfied owners
of all the rated manufacturers.

Up until now, I was a Dell "Would-Buy-Again Owner".
Before my next PC purchase, I'll look into eMachines.

*TimDaniels*

Hi!

I've had some eMachines over time (and still have all but one of them) and
it's been my experience that they aren't half bad computers...though I never
ran one with the factory-preloaded OS.

Dunno about their notebook models though...I've only ever seen one.

William

I am not suprised at all. For a couple of years now, Emachines have been
built with quality components and I see very few of them in for hardware
repairs. They are the brand I see most for spyware and viruses though.
Probably due to so many novices buying them because of cheap prices. Their
top of the line system right now is an Athlon XP 3200+ (nforce2 mbd), 512mb,
160GB, media reader, and a dual layer dvd drive and a cdrom drive. All this
for $599. It also has an AGP slot for video card upgrades. This machine
paired with a Radeon 9600XT or 9800pro makes a good value gaming machine.

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> Check out the Reliability & Service reviews in the latest
> (January '05) issue of PCWorld, ppg. 101-104. EMachines
> topped the lists for both Desktops and Notebooks in both
> reliability and service satisfaction. Significantly, it out-scored
> Dell.
>
> In Desktops, eMachines out-scored:
> Apple, Alenware, Dell, IBM, Gateway, HP,
> Compaq - you name it.
>
> In Notebooks, eMachines out-scored
> IBM, Apple, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Gateway, HP,
> Compaq, and Sony.
>
> In short, eMachines has the best-satisfied owners
> of all the rated manufacturers.
>
> Up until now, I was a Dell "Would-Buy-Again Owner".
> Before my next PC purchase, I'll look into eMachines.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Jim

True about all the good things you are saying about pre-gateway owned
emachines. Now that Gateway owns eMachines watch what happens to quality
and service. Same old story, big company buys smaller, and ruins it.

Jim

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> Check out the Reliability & Service reviews in the latest
> (January '05) issue of PCWorld, ppg. 101-104. EMachines
> topped the lists for both Desktops and Notebooks in both
> reliability and service satisfaction. Significantly, it out-scored
> Dell.
>
> In Desktops, eMachines out-scored:
> Apple, Alenware, Dell, IBM, Gateway, HP,
> Compaq - you name it.
>
> In Notebooks, eMachines out-scored
> IBM, Apple, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Gateway, HP,
> Compaq, and Sony.
>
> In short, eMachines has the best-satisfied owners
> of all the rated manufacturers.
>
> Up until now, I was a Dell "Would-Buy-Again Owner".
> Before my next PC purchase, I'll look into eMachines.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Hold the phone on that one - while Gateway did the buying, eMachines is
running the company now - rather, the management responsible for their
current showing is.

jim wrote:

> True about all the good things you are saying about pre-gateway owned
> emachines. Now that Gateway owns eMachines watch what happens to quality
> and service. Same old story, big company buys smaller, and ruins it.

Bought a low-end eMachines desktop for my
wife and son about six months ago. For $400,
it's really quite an impressive package. I added
another 512MB from Crucial and it zips along.

I agree with Ed. Gateway bought Emachines because they are profitable and
thier fixed costs of doing business is one of the lowest in the industry. I
believe that at the time of the aquisition Emachines had less than 200
employees. The Emachines CEO is now Gateway CEO and a large number of
Emachines executives are on the Gateway board. It looks more like Emachines
took over Gateway. I think once they sort out the pains of the merger,
things will look good. The Gateways that are being sold at Best Buy are very
well equipped for the money and you don't have to deal with mail in rebates
with them.

"CapeGuy" <brightfan@cape.us> wrote in message
> Bought a low-end eMachines desktop for my
> wife and son about six months ago. For $400,
> it's really quite an impressive package. I added
> another 512MB from Crucial and it zips along.

I bought & am using as I type, a DELL Dimension 3000 with Pentium 4
Processor, 512MB Dual Channel 400 MHz SDRAM, 80gig Hard Drive, 48X Max C-DRW
drive, and a Dell 922 Photo All-in-One Printer, all with 2 year warranty for
$349.00 plus $13.00 freight. Now that's what I call an IMPRESSIVE
package!!!
Tom J

"Tom J" wrote:
> I bought & am using as I type, a DELL Dimension 3000
> with Pentium 4 Processor, 512MB Dual Channel 400 MHz
> SDRAM, 80gig Hard Drive, 48X Max C-DRW drive, and
> a Dell 922 Photo All-in-One Printer, all with 2 year warranty
> for $349.00 plus $13.00 freight. Now that's what I call an
> IMPRESSIVE package!!!

Yup. There are some great bargains on eBay.

*TimDaniels*

> "Tom J" wrote:
>> I bought & am using as I type, a DELL Dimension 3000
>> with Pentium 4 Processor, 512MB Dual Channel 400 MHz
>> SDRAM, 80gig Hard Drive, 48X Max C-DRW drive, and
>> a Dell 922 Photo All-in-One Printer, all with 2 year warranty
>> for $349.00 plus $13.00 freight. Now that's what I call an
>> IMPRESSIVE package!!!
>

> Yup. There are some great bargains on eBay.

Brand new from Dell website Nov 30th. It was just there a few days.
Tom J

ME

>I bought & am using as I type, a DELL Dimension 3000 with Pentium 4
>Processor, 512MB Dual Channel 400 MHz SDRAM, 80gig Hard Drive, 48X Max C-DRW
>drive, and a Dell 922 Photo All-in-One Printer, all with 2 year warranty for
>$349.00 plus $13.00 freight. Now that's what I call an IMPRESSIVE
>package!!!

Did you buy this direct from Dell?

What special price was that?

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >I bought & am using as I type, a DELL Dimension 3000 with Pentium 4
>>Processor, 512MB Dual Channel 400 MHz SDRAM, 80gig Hard Drive, 48X Max
>>C-DRW
>>drive, and a Dell 922 Photo All-in-One Printer, all with 2 year warranty
>>for
>>$349.00 plus $13.00 freight. Now that's what I call an IMPRESSIVE
>>package!!!
>
> Did you buy this direct from Dell?
>
> What special price was that?

Direct from Dell online.
It was a small business ad they ran for 1 day in the Atlanta newspaper that
was good for 2 days.

Tom J

"Tom J" wrote:
> Direct from Dell online.
> It was a small business ad they ran for 1 day
> in the Atlanta newspaper that was good for 2 days.

Atlanta newspapers are good for only 2 days?
Now *that's* HIGH humidity! :)

*TimDaniels*

Nice to see you on this group, Ed. I have always looked forward to your
advice in the other group. I have just this evening purchased a Dell X50v
Handheld PC (thought I'd break away from HP, good move? Bad move? Dunno.
I'll find out.)

Turner Morgan

Turner,

I purchased a Dell X50v on December 7 and have been given a delayed
shipping notice twice already. It was originally estimated to ship on
December 9th then the 16th and now the 23rd. Their website has
consistantly given 4 days as how long from ordering it till it ships. Not
very honest in my opinion telling new customers to expect shippment in 4
days and constantly putting off current orders a week at a time. Hope you
have better luck.

Rob

"RGC" wrote:
> I purchased a Dell X50v on December 7 and have been
> given a delayed shipping notice twice already. It was
> originally estimated to ship on December 9th then the
> 16th and now the 23rd. Their website has consistantly
> given 4 days as how long from ordering it till it ships. Not
> very honest in my opinion telling new customers to expect
> shippment in 4 days and constantly putting off current
> orders a week at a time....

My experience was similar - ordering a part that was
listed on the website as being "in stock", being given
a confirmation and an immediate ship date, then being
told it's "back ordered" with a ship date 2 weeks hence,
being told right up to that very ship date that it would be
shipped then, and then being told it would be at least
another 3 weeks. Dell has gotten screwed up in its supply
chain and it chooses to just shine us on about it.

Meanwhile, I got my Maxtor ATA hard drive - the same
one that Dell had to backorder - from FuturePowerPC.com .

*TimDaniels*