So what's the popular view on Gygax? - page 3

    "Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:35:07 GMT, mark version 1969
    > <blahblahblah@nowhere.com> dared speak in front of ME:
    >
    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:00:08 GMT, Dirk Collins
    >><dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote:

    >>>Yeah, I like to watch the three stooges (Kaos, Malachias, & Terry)
    >>>in action... It's non-stop gags and laughter
    >>
    >>you watch them in "action"????
    >>whats happening to this group?
    >>I blame RON.
    >
    > This seems more Hong's style,

    Speaking of, I got up with him recently on RPG.net. He is doing well (and
    playing Exalted).

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:09:07 -0400, "Telendil Silverleaf"
    > <michael.hofer@cox.net> dared speak in front of ME:
    >
    >>"Terry Austin" <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in

    >>> You never know. Maybe a Playgirl.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Terry Austin
    >>> http://www.hyperbooks.com/
    >>> Campaign Cartographer Now Available
    >>
    >>Hey! Don't push him off onto my team!
    >
    > But he's a great example of what self repression does...

    Whoah! Let's be clear about one thing: I am NOT self-repressed. If any
    thing, I kicked my closet door down with gusto many, many moons ago. Now I
    keep all my straight clothes in it.

    > On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
    > <taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:
    >
    >>Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:36:24 -0000, No 33 Secretary
    >>> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

    >>> Lots of enthusiasm but not much technique. Which is pretty much
    >>> what I'm getting.
    >>>
    >>Maybe you should buy him a manual.
    >
    > But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
    > no guarantee of improved technique.

    There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.

    --

    Terry Austin wrote:

    > Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
    >

    >>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
    >><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:
    >>

    >>>Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in

    >>>Maybe you should buy him a manual.
    >>
    >>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
    >>no guarantee of improved technique.
    >

    > There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.

    If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

    "Dirk Collins" <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote in message
    > Terry Austin wrote:
    >
    >> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
    >>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
    >>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

    >>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
    >>>no guarantee of improved technique.
    >>

    >> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
    >
    > If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

    What do you think he is doing with *you* right now?

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:22:33 GMT, Dirk Collins
    <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> dared speak in front of ME:

    >Terry Austin wrote:
    >
    >> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
    >>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

    >>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
    >>>no guarantee of improved technique.
    >>

    >> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
    >
    >If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

    Sit, boy.
    --
    The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
    the conservative adopts them.

    Dirk Collins <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote in

    > Terry Austin wrote:
    >
    >> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
    >>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

    >>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
    >>>no guarantee of improved technique.
    >>

    >> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
    >
    > If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

    Indeed. You're learning, though slowly, as stupid pets do.

    --

    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:22:33 GMT, Dirk Collins
    > <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> dared speak in front of ME:
    >
    >>Terry Austin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in

    >>> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
    >>
    >>If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.
    >
    > Sit, boy.

    I'd be happy if he just stopped humping my leg and piddling all over
    everything.

    --

    Telendil Silverleaf wrote:

    > I'm kind of confused. Is he universally despised by the gaming
    > community, universally loved, or somewhere in between?
    >
    > Everything I've read about him seems to indicate that he resembles a
    > large pink organ of phallic dimensions.

    I think Gygax is an interesting guy, and I'm very glad that he and Dave Arneson
    and all those guys created D&D way back in the early days. I'm especially
    gratified to have him as an example of why D&D isn't entirely and shouldn't
    entirely be Tolkienesque - he doesn't like Tolkien any more than I do.

    On the other hand, I don't think I'd much enjoy playing in his games as
    *games* - as a roleplayed story might be another matter - and I strongly
    disagree with his preferences in gaming systems. He despises the Third Edition
    system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    The geek with roots in Hell!

    Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
    Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
    Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
    You know exactly who's - to - blame:
    The mother and the father!

    Ian R Malcomson wrote:

    > Untrue - blatantly so, if you read the adventures he wrote and the
    > various accounts of the games he was involved in (Sorcerer's Scroll
    > etc.) with more than an ounce of applied intelligence. He pioneered a
    > DM methodology that challenged *players* (rather than characters) in
    > problem solving within adventure design, and acted as a neutral arbiter
    > during play (occasionally viciously so).

    This is very true, and it's a strong example of why I don't think I'd enjoy
    playing in any game he ran.

    This isn't an issue of "immersion" a la Knutsen; everyone knows I don't immerse.
    I do, however, think that the game is more fun when it's about what the
    characters are going through as opposed to a pure exercise in player ingenuity.

    --

    Ian R Malcomson wrote:

    > I don't like everything he's written, and I don't agree with everything
    > he's said over the years in interviews and magazine columns, but
    > speaking to him gave to me the general impression that his overall
    > attitude to games is one I can hold a torch for. That is, they're meant
    > to be fun, and if whatever you're doing with a game is creating fun for
    > those gathered around your table, you're not doing anything wrong.

    Exactly. That was the gist of his attitude when people were discussing their
    differences with him on the "Ask Gary Gygax!" thread at EN World: that what
    matters is whether or not you're having fun.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    The geek with roots in Hell!
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

    Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
    Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
    Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
    You know exactly who's - to - blame:
    The mother and the father!

    Chances are suprisingly good that Christopher Adams was not wearing
    pants when he or she said:
    > He despises the Third Edition
    > system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.

    I've seen this claimed a number of times, but never with a source. Seems
    to me he had mostly good things to say about it when it came out, has
    written products for it, and hangs out on the main 3E board (ENWorld)
    but not, say, Dragonsfoot. Doesn't sound like someone who despises 3E to
    me. Any special reason for claiming otherwise?

    Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
    > Chances are suprisingly good that Christopher Adams was not wearing
    > pants when he or she said:
    >
    >> He despises the Third Edition
    >> system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.
    >
    > I've seen this claimed a number of times, but never with a source. Seems
    > to me he had mostly good things to say about it when it came out, has
    > written products for it, and hangs out on the main 3E board (ENWorld)
    > but not, say, Dragonsfoot. Doesn't sound like someone who despises 3E to
    > me. Any special reason for claiming otherwise?

    I've seen him post "I personally very much dislike the system".

    He's always had a pretty good relationship with, for instance, Dragon Magazine
    (it was health, not the game system, that caused him to stop producing his
    columns for them, or so I understand it), and he hangs out on EN World as a
    source of firsthand history - he never participates in any of the discussion.
    He's pretty much there for the "Ask Gary" threads.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    The geek with roots in Hell!
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

    Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
    Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
    Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
    You know exactly who's - to - blame:
    The mother and the father!

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:27:21 GMT, in rec.games.frp.dnd Jeff Heikkinen
    <no.way@jose.org> wrote:

    >Chances are suprisingly good that Christopher Adams was not wearing
    >pants when he or she said:
    >> He despises the Third Edition
    >> system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.
    >
    >I've seen this claimed a number of times, but never with a source. Seems
    >to me he had mostly good things to say about it when it came out, has
    >written products for it, and hangs out on the main 3E board (ENWorld)
    >but not, say, Dragonsfoot. Doesn't sound like someone who despises 3E to
    >me. Any special reason for claiming otherwise?

    On ENWorld (and other boards), he usually refuses to be pulled into 3e
    discussions. He posts on ENWorld because the people in charge asked
    him to as a "Father of the Game" figure swapping gaming stories.

    Whenever he is asked about 3.xe on any discussion board, he just says
    that he personally dislikes it. When pressed, I've seen him say it's
    because it strays too far from the archetypical heroes and seems more
    like a superhero game than heroic fantasy, but that was a while back,
    and he hasn't said anything like that lately.

    Also, he's made it very clear that he intensely dislikes the mechanics
    that allow characters to solve puzzles with a dice roll instead of the
    player figuring it out.

    But, not only does he not bash it heavily, his usual answer to
    questions about any rules, adventures or supplements from after he and
    TSR split ways is that the system being asked about is the IP of WotC,
    and thus, he should not comment on it (and then he sticks to that
    statement).

    Bill
    --
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
    get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost

    Kaos wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:35:07 GMT, mark version 1969
    > <blahblahblah@nowhere.com> dared speak in front of ME:
    >

    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:00:08 GMT, Dirk Collins
    >><dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote:

    >>>Yeah, I like to watch the three stooges (Kaos, Malachias, & Terry)
    >>>in action... It's non-stop gags and laughter
    >>
    >>you watch them in "action"????
    >>whats happening to this group?
    >>I blame RON.
    >

    > This seems more Hong's style, though you could make a case for Ron by
    > stretching the old aphorism...

    Or stretching something ELSE, IYKWIMAITYD, HTH, HAND.

Games Video Games