Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

So what's the popular view on Gygax? - Page 3

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:09:10 PM

"Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:35:07 GMT, mark version 1969
> <blahblahblah@nowhere.com> dared speak in front of ME:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:00:08 GMT, Dirk Collins
>><dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote:

>>>Yeah, I like to watch the three stooges (Kaos, Malachias, & Terry)
>>>in action... It's non-stop gags and laughter
>>
>>you watch them in "action"????
>>whats happening to this group?
>>I blame RON.
>
> This seems more Hong's style,

Speaking of, I got up with him recently on RPG.net. He is doing well (and
playing Exalted).

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

September 5, 2005 9:09:08 PM

> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:09:07 -0400, "Telendil Silverleaf"
> <michael.hofer@cox.net> dared speak in front of ME:
>
>>"Terry Austin" <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote in message
>>> "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> You never know. Maybe a Playgirl.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry Austin
>>> http://www.hyperbooks.com/
>>> Campaign Cartographer Now Available
>>
>>Hey! Don't push him off onto my team!
>
> But he's a great example of what self repression does...

Whoah! Let's be clear about one thing: I am NOT self-repressed. If any
thing, I kicked my closet door down with gusto many, many moons ago. Now I
keep all my straight clothes in it.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:39:54 PM

Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
news:D fhlh11hobq5g6vg0ur9r6tg7u6jahpanl@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
> <taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:
>
>>Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
>>
>>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:36:24 -0000, No 33 Secretary
>>> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

>>> Lots of enthusiasm but not much technique. Which is pretty much
>>> what I'm getting.
>>>
>>Maybe you should buy him a manual.
>
> But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
> no guarantee of improved technique.

There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
September 5, 2005 10:22:33 PM

Terry Austin wrote:

> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
> news:D fhlh11hobq5g6vg0ur9r6tg7u6jahpanl@4ax.com:
>

>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:
>>

>>>Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in

>>>Maybe you should buy him a manual.
>>
>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
>>no guarantee of improved technique.
>

> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.

If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:48:10 PM

"Dirk Collins" <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote in message
> Terry Austin wrote:
>
>> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
>> news:D fhlh11hobq5g6vg0ur9r6tg7u6jahpanl@4ax.com:
>>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
>>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

>>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
>>>no guarantee of improved technique.
>>

>> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
>
> If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

What do you think he is doing with *you* right now?

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

September 6, 2005 2:09:46 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:22:33 GMT, Dirk Collins
<dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> dared speak in front of ME:

>Terry Austin wrote:
>
>> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
>> news:D fhlh11hobq5g6vg0ur9r6tg7u6jahpanl@4ax.com:
>>

>>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
>>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

>>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
>>>no guarantee of improved technique.
>>

>> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
>
>If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

Sit, boy.
--
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
the conservative adopts them.

Dirk Collins <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote in

> Terry Austin wrote:
>
>> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
>> news:D fhlh11hobq5g6vg0ur9r6tg7u6jahpanl@4ax.com:
>>

>>>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:35:29 -0000, Terry Austin
>>><taustin@hyperbooks.com> dared speak in front of ME:

>>>But then the enthusiasm would be diverted to the pretty pictures, with
>>>no guarantee of improved technique.
>>

>> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
>
> If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.

Indeed. You're learning, though slowly, as stupid pets do.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 8:05:52 AM

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:22:33 GMT, Dirk Collins
> <dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> dared speak in front of ME:
>
>>Terry Austin wrote:
>>
>>> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in
>>> news:D fhlh11hobq5g6vg0ur9r6tg7u6jahpanl@4ax.com:

>>> There might be fewer stains on the carpet, though.
>>
>>If you house-trained your dogs, you'd be much better off.
>
> Sit, boy.

I'd be happy if he just stopped humping my leg and piddling all over
everything.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:36:39 AM

Telendil Silverleaf wrote:

> I'm kind of confused. Is he universally despised by the gaming
> community, universally loved, or somewhere in between?
>
> Everything I've read about him seems to indicate that he resembles a
> large pink organ of phallic dimensions.

I think Gygax is an interesting guy, and I'm very glad that he and Dave Arneson
and all those guys created D&D way back in the early days. I'm especially
gratified to have him as an example of why D&D isn't entirely and shouldn't
entirely be Tolkienesque - he doesn't like Tolkien any more than I do.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd much enjoy playing in his games as
*games* - as a roleplayed story might be another matter - and I strongly
disagree with his preferences in gaming systems. He despises the Third Edition
system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:41:25 AM

Ian R Malcomson wrote:

> Untrue - blatantly so, if you read the adventures he wrote and the
> various accounts of the games he was involved in (Sorcerer's Scroll
> etc.) with more than an ounce of applied intelligence. He pioneered a
> DM methodology that challenged *players* (rather than characters) in
> problem solving within adventure design, and acted as a neutral arbiter
> during play (occasionally viciously so).

This is very true, and it's a strong example of why I don't think I'd enjoy
playing in any game he ran.

This isn't an issue of "immersion" a la Knutsen; everyone knows I don't immerse.
I do, however, think that the game is more fun when it's about what the
characters are going through as opposed to a pure exercise in player ingenuity.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:17:35 AM

Ian R Malcomson wrote:

> I don't like everything he's written, and I don't agree with everything
> he's said over the years in interviews and magazine columns, but
> speaking to him gave to me the general impression that his overall
> attitude to games is one I can hold a torch for. That is, they're meant
> to be fun, and if whatever you're doing with a game is creating fun for
> those gathered around your table, you're not doing anything wrong.

Exactly. That was the gist of his attitude when people were discussing their
differences with him on the "Ask Gary Gygax!" thread at EN World: that what
matters is whether or not you're having fun.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 11:27:21 PM

Chances are suprisingly good that Christopher Adams was not wearing
pants when he or she said:
> He despises the Third Edition
> system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.

I've seen this claimed a number of times, but never with a source. Seems
to me he had mostly good things to say about it when it came out, has
written products for it, and hangs out on the main 3E board (ENWorld)
but not, say, Dragonsfoot. Doesn't sound like someone who despises 3E to
me. Any special reason for claiming otherwise?
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:06:22 AM

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
> Chances are suprisingly good that Christopher Adams was not wearing
> pants when he or she said:
>
>> He despises the Third Edition
>> system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.
>
> I've seen this claimed a number of times, but never with a source. Seems
> to me he had mostly good things to say about it when it came out, has
> written products for it, and hangs out on the main 3E board (ENWorld)
> but not, say, Dragonsfoot. Doesn't sound like someone who despises 3E to
> me. Any special reason for claiming otherwise?

I've seen him post "I personally very much dislike the system".

He's always had a pretty good relationship with, for instance, Dragon Magazine
(it was health, not the game system, that caused him to stop producing his
columns for them, or so I understand it), and he hangs out on EN World as a
source of firsthand history - he never participates in any of the discussion.
He's pretty much there for the "Ask Gary" threads.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
The geek with roots in Hell!
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...

Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
You know exactly who's - to - blame:
The mother and the father!
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:03:57 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:27:21 GMT, in rec.games.frp.dnd Jeff Heikkinen
<no.way@jose.org> wrote:

>Chances are suprisingly good that Christopher Adams was not wearing
>pants when he or she said:
>> He despises the Third Edition
>> system, and I think it's one of the best games ever printed.
>
>I've seen this claimed a number of times, but never with a source. Seems
>to me he had mostly good things to say about it when it came out, has
>written products for it, and hangs out on the main 3E board (ENWorld)
>but not, say, Dragonsfoot. Doesn't sound like someone who despises 3E to
>me. Any special reason for claiming otherwise?

On ENWorld (and other boards), he usually refuses to be pulled into 3e
discussions. He posts on ENWorld because the people in charge asked
him to as a "Father of the Game" figure swapping gaming stories.

Whenever he is asked about 3.xe on any discussion board, he just says
that he personally dislikes it. When pressed, I've seen him say it's
because it strays too far from the archetypical heroes and seems more
like a superhero game than heroic fantasy, but that was a while back,
and he hasn't said anything like that lately.

Also, he's made it very clear that he intensely dislikes the mechanics
that allow characters to solve puzzles with a dice roll instead of the
player figuring it out.

But, not only does he not bash it heavily, his usual answer to
questions about any rules, adventures or supplements from after he and
TSR split ways is that the system being asked about is the IP of WotC,
and thus, he should not comment on it (and then he sticks to that
statement).

Bill
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost

Kaos wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:35:07 GMT, mark version 1969
> <blahblahblah@nowhere.com> dared speak in front of ME:
>

>>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:00:08 GMT, Dirk Collins
>><dirk.collins@Earthlink.Net> wrote:

>>>Yeah, I like to watch the three stooges (Kaos, Malachias, & Terry)
>>>in action... It's non-stop gags and laughter
>>
>>you watch them in "action"????
>>whats happening to this group?
>>I blame RON.
>

> This seems more Hong's style, though you could make a case for Ron by
> stretching the old aphorism...

Or stretching something ELSE, IYKWIMAITYD, HTH, HAND.
      • 1
      • 2
      • 3 / 3