AIW or separates video/capture ????

winy68

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Thanks in advance for your time and expertise...

I'm building a new system
Abit SR7-8X
P4 2.4
512mb - 2700-DDR
120Gb 7200rpm
DVD Burner: ????

I don't really play games so I don't need an ultra high performance gamers/dream card. I plan on using the system mainly for editing/watching movies burning DVDs, and of course surfing...

Since my Mbrd supports 8x I was thinking about going that way. with perhaps either the
1) Radeon 9500 Pro 128 or
2) Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 (any benefit since I have an ABIT Mbrd?)

I would then have to buy separate video capture card. (likely the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe V.8 $200)

Alternatively I thought about getting an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 128MB. $250 (USD) with built in capture
I don't plan on watching tv so dont care about those features, but like the integrated video capture.

is it worth my $$ to get a better video card and separate capture card? or do you think for a non-gamer I'd be satisfied with the performance of an 8500 aiw? would I be committing a crime NOT buying an AGP 8x card?

any help with anything mentioned (or not) would be greatly appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's the AIW 8500 card, but with 64MB, slightly slower clock speed, and a Firewire port. It's usually around $40 cheaper than the AIW 8500 128MB.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

winy68

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
do you think its worth getting the 8500DV -128
or even AIW9700-128?

8500DV64 - $160
8500DV128 - $260
9700AIW128 - $370
I could come up with the extra $$ if it's worth it, for video editing (I dont play games very often). I dont want to pay the extra money just for gamers features that I wont really use.

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I wouldn't go with the AIW 8500 128MB. For that price you could get a 9500Pro for about $190, and an ATI capture card for about $40 and the ATI remote wonder for about $30. Comes out to the same price, same features, and a pimp graphics card.

<Brendini>

winy68

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
do you think the aiw64 is pimp enuff 4 what i'm doing?
mainly video editing / surfing?
or would you recommend seperate devices? the 8500DV is looking like the front runner right now. seems well rounded and bundled nicely - seemless integration? - I hope so.

thanks
Scott

cleeve

Illustrious
The extra 64 megs of video memory will make absolutely no difference to you if you're surfing or video editing.

A 128 meg card will only be useful in games where there are huge textures. Games like that are just beginning to be made... I'd be surprised if there are more than 3 games out there that utilize 128 MB of texture memory.

What you MIGHT want to look for is the 8500 ALL-IN-WONDER "DV" version. The non-DV All-In-Wonders do NOT have firewire inputs, and that is a great plus if you have a digital video camera.

- Cleeve

rlemo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
If you watch Comp USA you can pick up the AIW 8500 128 for $150 with rebates. Have had mine for 3 months and love it. Once you try the tv tuner you find that it is an extra bonus that you will find very useful while surfing. Setting its opaque setting allows you to see your desktop as you surf. This package is hard to beat at that price.

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Oh yeah. For that stuff you'll be well prepared. The higher end stuff is for gamers who play fps games and want the latest bombdiggity gear.

<Brendini>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I like the 8500 DV (Wish I owned one) but why waste money on features like 3D performance and TV if you never plan to use them.

Think about software. Not that I know much about this subject but think about your application. Video editing? Well, you are going to need video editing software. I hear people talking about Pinacle Studio as good introductory software. Well, the Pinacle Studio AV basically gives you an analog Video capture card for free. Cost is less than $100 USD. Firewire cards are pretty cheap, $30-$40. (Does your mobo already have firewire?) You'll need firewire for digital video input. Once you have these you can buy an inexpensive ATI card or if pure visual quality is your interest then think about a Matrox card.

You might want to make sure that Pinnacle Studio AV doesn't limit you to analog video. I don't think it does but ask around.

In the future, if you change your mind about gaming, you can buy any card (midrange, high performance, whatever) and not loose your video capture capabilty.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

winy68

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
i appreciate your advise.
i originally thot about the pinnacle and a descent vid card. I'm thinking that I might use the extra features, if sooner or later. kinda like a new toy that you don't know how you lived without it! ;)

I have to check if the 8500DV has digital editing! I thot I read somewhere the 8500DV software is pretty good for non-pro users. I'm buying a digital camcorder next :$.