Best LCD's to run at 800 by 600

I'm looking to get a new system. For years I've chosen CRT over LCD,
but I'm back to the same dilemma and considering getting an LCD
monitor. Problem is, I have vision problems and need to run at 800x600
(or very close to it if widescreen).

I've heard that if I get a 1600 by 1200 LCD that it will run 800 by 600
without determination as most LCD's deteriate at non-native
resolutions.

Here are the two main LCD monitors I am considering. Can anyone who
OWNS a Dell Ultra 2001FP or Ultra 2005FPW Widescreen comment on how
they run at 800 by 600? I like the benefits of LCD's but not at the
sake of a lesser picture quality or blurry text.

None of the other Dell LCD's run at 1600 by 1200 do they?

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy wrote:
> I'm looking to get a new system. For years I've chosen CRT over LCD,
> but I'm back to the same dilemma and considering getting an LCD
> monitor. Problem is, I have vision problems and need to run at 800x600
> (or very close to it if widescreen).
>
> I've heard that if I get a 1600 by 1200 LCD that it will run 800 by 600
> without determination as most LCD's deteriate at non-native
> resolutions.
>
> Here are the two main LCD monitors I am considering. Can anyone who
> OWNS a Dell Ultra 2001FP or Ultra 2005FPW Widescreen comment on how
> they run at 800 by 600? I like the benefits of LCD's but not at the
> sake of a lesser picture quality or blurry text.
>
> None of the other Dell LCD's run at 1600 by 1200 do they?
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

The 2001FP has no problems running at 800x600, but tthe 2005FPW would
have problems since it isn't 1600x1200 native.

Have you considered just increasing the font sizes? My 85 year old
mother has very poor eyesight yet can see her 1280x1024 19" display
because the font sizes have been adjusted upwards. Problems with
non-scaling websites (boo-hiss) can be solved by using the Opera browser.

Tracy,

The best monitor and a great value is the Samsung 213T. It's larger (21.3
inches) and simply stunning.

Tom
"Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to get a new system. For years I've chosen CRT over LCD,
> but I'm back to the same dilemma and considering getting an LCD
> monitor. Problem is, I have vision problems and need to run at 800x600
> (or very close to it if widescreen).
>
> I've heard that if I get a 1600 by 1200 LCD that it will run 800 by 600
> without determination as most LCD's deteriate at non-native
> resolutions.
>
> Here are the two main LCD monitors I am considering. Can anyone who
> OWNS a Dell Ultra 2001FP or Ultra 2005FPW Widescreen comment on how
> they run at 800 by 600? I like the benefits of LCD's but not at the
> sake of a lesser picture quality or blurry text.
>
> None of the other Dell LCD's run at 1600 by 1200 do they?
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

I have the 2000 Ultra FP. I love it. I use only the 800 x 600. Also
make sure you get a video card with the DVI connector. On this monitor
or 2001, 2005 you can slouch, sit way to either side of the monitor and
it had no shading (fading out). I'm sure you will be happy with either one.

Joan

Tracy wrote:
> I'm looking to get a new system. For years I've chosen CRT over LCD,
> but I'm back to the same dilemma and considering getting an LCD
> monitor. Problem is, I have vision problems and need to run at 800x600
> (or very close to it if widescreen).
>
> I've heard that if I get a 1600 by 1200 LCD that it will run 800 by 600
> without determination as most LCD's deteriate at non-native
> resolutions.
>
> Here are the two main LCD monitors I am considering. Can anyone who
> OWNS a Dell Ultra 2001FP or Ultra 2005FPW Widescreen comment on how
> they run at 800 by 600? I like the benefits of LCD's but not at the
> sake of a lesser picture quality or blurry text.
>
> None of the other Dell LCD's run at 1600 by 1200 do they?
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

I have lousy vision too, and I am generally able to comfortably view at 1024
x 768 pixels on a 17-inch monitor by increasing icon and text sizes wherever
possible. I too prefer 800 by 600, but at that resolution my system has so
many Paint Shop Pro menus and such it is hard to work on an image.

Paul R.

"Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to get a new system. For years I've chosen CRT over LCD,
> but I'm back to the same dilemma and considering getting an LCD
> monitor. Problem is, I have vision problems and need to run at 800x600
> (or very close to it if widescreen).
>
> I've heard that if I get a 1600 by 1200 LCD that it will run 800 by 600
> without determination as most LCD's deteriate at non-native
> resolutions.
>
> Here are the two main LCD monitors I am considering. Can anyone who
> OWNS a Dell Ultra 2001FP or Ultra 2005FPW Widescreen comment on how
> they run at 800 by 600? I like the benefits of LCD's but not at the
> sake of a lesser picture quality or blurry text.
>
> None of the other Dell LCD's run at 1600 by 1200 do they?
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

So is the consenus without question that running in 800 by 600 that the
Dell Ultra 2001FP 20 inch monitor is a better solution than the 19 inch
Dell CRT? Just want to be sure that the extra money will justify the
quality increase for that low resolution on an LCD.

Thanks,
Tracy

I have the 2001 FP, actually 2 of them, and they run fine
at 800 x 600; The images and fonts are quite crisp. You
may want to adjust font choices and sizes to taste.

"Tracy" <muppettracy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to get a new system. For years I've chosen CRT over LCD,
> but I'm back to the same dilemma and considering getting an LCD
> monitor. Problem is, I have vision problems and need to run at 800x600
> (or very close to it if widescreen).
>
> I've heard that if I get a 1600 by 1200 LCD that it will run 800 by 600
> without determination as most LCD's deteriate at non-native
> resolutions.
>
> Here are the two main LCD monitors I am considering. Can anyone who
> OWNS a Dell Ultra 2001FP or Ultra 2005FPW Widescreen comment on how
> they run at 800 by 600? I like the benefits of LCD's but not at the
> sake of a lesser picture quality or blurry text.
>
> None of the other Dell LCD's run at 1600 by 1200 do they?
>
> Thanks,
> Tracy

Tracy I don't have the Dell 29" CRT, but I have the Optiquest 19" CRT.
It made my very nice 19" CRT look dull in comparison.

Joan