Summoning a Cry Wolf [LSJ]

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

Cry Wolf : If the action to recruit this ally is blocked, the acting
anarch goes to torpor.

Summoning superior : +1 stealth action. [PRE] Search your library for an
ally. This vampire recruits that ally (he or she must meet the
requirements, if any, of the ally). Pay cost as normal. Shuffle your
library afterward.

When the Summoning is played, must it be announced that the target is
the Cry Wolf, and if it is blocked will the recruiter go to torpor ?

T.I.A.

Orpheus

"Orpheus" <orpheus.13@DEADfree.fr> wrote in message news:424b0816$0$17271$636a15ce@news.free.fr...
> Cry Wolf : If the action to recruit this ally is blocked, the acting
> anarch goes to torpor.
>
> Summoning superior : +1 stealth action. [PRE] Search your library for an
> ally. This vampire recruits that ally (he or she must meet the
> requirements, if any, of the ally). Pay cost as normal. Shuffle your
> library afterward.
>
> When the Summoning is played, must it be announced that the target is
> the Cry Wolf?

No. You announce that you will "search", that's all.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/242f7ccd510061fe

> and if it is blocked will the recruiter go to torpor ?

Moot.

--
LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap to reply).
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Fabio Sooner Macedo wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:18:57 -0500, "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> When the Summoning is played, must it be announced that the target
is
> >> the Cry Wolf?
> >
> >No. You announce that you will "search", that's all.
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/242f7ccd510061fe
>
> I thought there was an official ruling on the lines that every action
> that targets/retrieves a card or cards in library, hand or ash heap
> requires you to announce the card. But I don't see this in the
> official rulings, only this (marked as errata now):
>
> If an effect causes you to search your library or crypt, shuffle that
> deck afterward. [LSJ 20040518]
>
> Has it changed recently, or I've grown senile already? :)

When retrieving a card from the ash heap you must announce your target
(by name, not instance, IIRC). When searching your library, you merely
announce that you are searching.

John

Fabio Sooner Macedo wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:18:57 -0500, "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> When the Summoning is played, must it be announced that the target
is
> >> the Cry Wolf?
> >
> >No. You announce that you will "search", that's all.
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/242f7ccd510061fe
>
> I thought there was an official ruling on the lines that every action
> that targets/retrieves a card or cards in library, hand or ash heap
> requires you to announce the card. But I don't see this in the
> official rulings, only this (marked as errata now):

IANLSJ but...

What you are probably thinking of is that all actions must be fully
declared when announced. For example "I Minion Tap Anson for 5" and not
"I Minion Tap" or even "I Minion Tap Anson". Or more to the point,
"Carlotta attempts to exchange this lousy Chainsaw from my hand with
that Minion Tap in my ash heap".

However, in the case of "The Summoning", the action when fully declared
sounds like, "Gideon Fontaine plays The Summoning to search for an ally
or retainer." The fully declared action is the **search** and doesn't
require a card name.

> Has it changed recently, or I've grown senile already? :)

Hmm. How best to break this to you? Ah, yes...

"Are you a big fan of prunes by any chance?"

-Robert

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:18:57 -0500, "LSJ" <vtesrep@white-wolf.com>
> wrote:
>

>>>When the Summoning is played, must it be announced that the target is
>>>the Cry Wolf?
>>
>>No. You announce that you will "search", that's all.
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/242f7ccd510061fe
>

> I thought there was an official ruling on the lines that every action
> that targets/retrieves a card or cards in library, hand or ash heap
> requires you to announce the card. But I don't see this in the
> official rulings, only this (marked as errata now):
>
> If an effect causes you to search your library or crypt, shuffle that
> deck afterward. [LSJ 20040518]
>
> Has it changed recently, or I've grown senile already? :)

It hasn't changed, recently or otherwise.

You cannot search/examine your library beforehand.

Search/look at/examine is as far as it'll go at announcement.
Search/look at/examine is effectively a veil for the rest of the action
terms.

Similarly, Le Dinh Tho doesn't have to announce which card he'll be
discarding when the action is announced (even if Revelations is in
play).

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

> Has it changed recently, or I've grown senile already? :)

As a corpse, you should be senile, yes. ;)

> Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
> V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
> Giovanni Newsletter Editor
> V for Vendetta on the big screen!

YEEEEEAH !!!!

Hope they don't screw that one.

Watchmen next ?

Orpheus

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:40:23 +0200, Orpheus <orpheus.13@DEADfree.fr>
wrote:

>> Has it changed recently, or I've grown senile already? :)
>
>As a corpse, you should be senile, yes. ;)
>
>> Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
>> V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
>> Giovanni Newsletter Editor
>> V for Vendetta on the big screen!
>
>YEEEEEAH !!!!
>Hope they don't screw that one.
>Watchmen next ?
>Orpheus

http://www.watchmenmovie.com

V seems to be in better hands.

Robert Goudie a écrit :
> Fabio Sooner Macedo wrote:

> is

>>>No. You announce that you will "search", that's all.
>>
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/242f7ccd510061fe
>>
>>I thought there was an official ruling on the lines that every action
>>that targets/retrieves a card or cards in library, hand or ash heap
>>requires you to announce the card. But I don't see this in the
>>official rulings, only this (marked as errata now):
>

> IANLSJ but...
>
> What you are probably thinking of is that all actions must be fully
> declared when announced. For example "I Minion Tap Anson for 5" and not
> "I Minion Tap" or even "I Minion Tap Anson". Or more to the point,
> "Carlotta attempts to exchange this lousy Chainsaw from my hand with
> that Minion Tap in my ash heap".
>
> However, in the case of "The Summoning", the action when fully declared
> sounds like, "Gideon Fontaine plays The Summoning to search for an ally
> or retainer." The fully declared action is the **search** and doesn't
> require a card name.

So, isn't my idea nice ? ;)

Just wish the crypt was easier... :D

(yeah, I know that just adding stealth could be enough, but it's hard to
have the place for everything...)

Chills,

Orpheus

On 30 Mar 2005 15:21:34 -0800, "Robert Goudie" <robertg@vtesinla.org>
scrawled:

>However, in the case of "The Summoning", the action when fully declared
>sounds like, "Gideon Fontaine plays The Summoning to search for an ally
>or retainer." The fully declared action is the **search** and doesn't
>require a card name.

is it?

i thought it would be:
Gideon plays the summoning at basic to search for an ally
or
Gideon plays the summoning at basic to search for a retainer

but then i think i have been mixed up with a situation like this
before.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

"salem" <salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eek:vtn41dnal611joi2b896rr004uo9ise3i@4ax.com...
> On 30 Mar 2005 15:21:34 -0800, "Robert Goudie" <robertg@vtesinla.org>
> scrawled:
>

> >However, in the case of "The Summoning", the action when fully declared
> >sounds like, "Gideon Fontaine plays The Summoning to search for an ally
> >or retainer." The fully declared action is the **search** and doesn't
> >require a card name.
>
> is it?

Yes.

> i thought it would be:
> Gideon plays the summoning at basic to search for an ally
> or
> Gideon plays the summoning at basic to search for a retainer
>
> but then i think i have been mixed up with a situation like this
> before.

"Search your library for an ally or retainer." not "Search your library for an ally or
search your library for a retainer."